Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Education and Society - where are we heading?

Options
  • 23-10-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I'm in final year Sociology, doing a thesis on the experiences of people with disabilities in the education system and we had some interesting discussions in tutorial today.

Basically what do people think will become of the job market and employment prospects with the way society appears to be leaning towards?

For example in my parents day undergraduate studies was the minority except for people going into jobs like nursing and teaching, and many (like my dad) did an apprenticeship after their Leaving Cert. My brother is now doing Product Design in college, which involves placement but a lot more college than apprenticeship would have given previously.

Nowadays college seems to becoming, not only compulsory in many, many areas of work but also a milestone and a huge part of Irish youth culture (I'll argue here that most school leavers would be happier living in close proximity to thousands of other students in late teens to early 20s than elsewhere where the social aspect mightn't be as promising).

Another thing I find interesting is that a Bachelor's Degree has become such a mass property its being devalued, and a lot of us in the class were conscious of the possibility that could one day happen to a Masters, maybe even a pHD. Now I love college (both the academic and social side) but I don't think there should be pressure on people to keep progressing when doing so provides no guarantee for anything.

Is these cycles the government may need to take better measures to tackle? And can the problem with rising tuition fees be resolved before most ordinary parents in the country are bankrupt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

From my experience and research, the Irish government has been given to the European Union. Many laws and plans will and are being passed down to us.
    Regarding our economy, the plan seems to be to lower the minimum wage, in order to invite multinational corporations into the country.
    This means that in order to fullfill this need, they need to make it difficult to be self employed(which is the case and is progressing nicely for them).

So that's local businesses shut down and local jobs destroyed slowly over time. More Aldis and Lidls being built around the country, to host these people who cannot start their own business after college.

Where education comes in, I think it's important for them to make it more expensive, but support areas of growth that they need for said multinational corporations.
    If less people are being educated, there are less people to become self employed and it would help the country become more reliant on Europe and America.
    On the topic of high paid jobs, I think those will just get more exspensive, as the bottle neck gets more clogged. The bottle neck is there to allow the professions to keep their "currency" from inflating and lowering wages, due to having more as well as better educated workers available.

The result I think will be what is planned, if you follow the money and who is lending it at the source. That is who dictates the outcomes.

So we are heading in my view, for higher education costs, lower minimum wage.Less self employed and more multinational corporations.
    Larger bottle necks in the health industry especially and any other industry that can be privatized and sold to multinational firms.
    In the future in Ireland, we will all be forced to have our own health insurance, to allow for outside companies (who we cannot compete with financially) to take more money from our shores abroad, back to where it came from.

Parents I think are expected to go broke, because they do not want more young people becoming self employed especially in the wrong business.
    If they are already broke, the kids can go work in an aldi and go to college paid by themselves. Student loans willrise and the interest returned will be very profitable when those loans are combined into a package for foreign investors.

Just a guess though, based on research and experience.
    I just did a search for Ireland attack self employed lol

http://www.lucindacreighton.ie/ireland-not-the-best-small-country-in-which-to-do-business-daily-mail-article/
    This is bizarre, given that politicians always talks about valuing small business and supporting those who create jobs in our country. Despite this rhetoric, employers are treated with suspicion and contempt. Sadly this week’s budget has proven that this is unlikely to change any time soon. Budget 2015 was a far cry from the entrepreneur’s budget that this country needs if it is going to avoid another generational boom-bust cycle.
    A self-employed person in Ireland, who has started and built their own business and created jobs, is now paying 3% more of their income in tax than someone employed in a multinational company on the same salary. Since 2011, the self-employed were obliged to pay a 10% rate of Universal Social Charge, while their counterparts, earning exactly the same salary, paid 7%.
    This singling out of our own business people is extraordinary and indefensible..
    The Government had a great chance this week to show that things can be different. With an improving growth outlook, the Government had the leeway to demonstrate that they value the self-employed as much as they value the employed. They had a chance to level the playing pitch. They had a chance to prove that they respect the job creators in our economy.
    Instead they hiked up the USC rate for self-employed people to 11%. I genuinely could not believe my eyes when I read it in the Budget. They decided to penalise the people who are the very life blood of the economy and who will rebuild this country. It beggars belief.
    To me this does not beggar belief, it is very expected. I have been through all the conspiracy theories forum for years, have researched economics(fractional reserve banking etc etc) and can clearly see what is going on.
    So while the rational masses are surprised at every turn, I just sigh...

They don't teach this stuff in college for a reason I am guessing.
    It hasn't been authorized.
    I am curious though, if I am wrong on that last comment about the truth of our situation being revealed to students, especially since this is sociology!

Advertisement