Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT Incorrect Vin Number?

Options
  • 13-06-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Had my car in for NCT this morning which failed minimally but one of the things it did certainly caught me by surprise that was the 'VIN Number' which is wrong by 1 character and I was fully aware, am thinking this must be new as part of the crack down in fraud testing.

Anyway to the point seeing as this was supposedly computer error on the revenues part this isn't my fault at the time of first registration in the country over 4 years ago when I bought it, so should I just fill in the registration certificate and send it off and include a note informing them of the mistake?

Francie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

I had a car for NCT recently and it said green on the logbook, the car is as blue as a smurf !! Never resprayed just an error when the vehicle was being registered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd ring them first before thinking about sending off the VLC.
    If it was a simple typo on your name or address they'd change it no questions asked, but for a VIN they may require independent confirmation from a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

OP, it's sort of a once off situation, as suggested I'd say contact them directly before doing anything.

Also, double check the VIN #'s yourself, I'm sure the NCT guy is right but it'll do no harm to double check.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/

Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division,
    Department of Transport,Tourism and Sport,
    Shannon Town Centre,
    Shannon,
    Co. Clare.
    Tel: +353 (0) 61 365 000
    **Locall: 1890 411412
    Fax: +353 (0)61 363 480
    Email: motortax@dttas.ie

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

When a friend of mine imported his Audi, it wasn't on their books and he ended up with it being registered as a Porsche 911. He had to go back and get that fixed as it could have got tricky when he came to tax / insure / sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

Thanks very much guys for the prompt response.

It's definately a character out as I noticed it right away when I received the logbook was meaning to get it changed then as down the line it would matter but I just left it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I also imported an e30 years ago and went down as a 1989 e46.... Which doesn't exist.

I hear that I need to get an application form off the guards to confirm the chassis/vin number through a dealer, am wondering is this basically a 'hpi/motorcheck on my car?

Thanks,
    Francie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I've seen a VLC for an 1988 Peugeot imported from the UK which had Make: Unknown and Model: Unknown

francie81 wrote: »
    am wondering is this basically a 'hpi/motorcheck on my car?

It's just for the dealer to confirm the numbers visually. Hopefully the cost is minimal.
    n97 mini wrote: »
    I've seen a VLC for an 1988 Peugeot imported from the UK which had Make: Unknown and Model: Unknown

Yep, I've seen this with imports aswell, but the VIN and engine numbers are still there.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Buffman wrote: »
    It's just for the dealer to confirm the numbers visually. Hopefully the cost is minimal.

Ahh right would you call €65 with a Honda dealer minimal?

• Advertisement

francie81 wrote: »
    Ahh right would you call €65 with a Honda dealer minimal?

Nop, I'd call that extortion! Maybe ring around.

Out of interest what form did they tell you to fill in?

Buffman wrote: »
    Nop, I'd call that extortion! Maybe ring around.

Out of interest what form did they tell you to fill in?

Yeah thats what I thought.

He told me also that I'd either have to go to the guards or solicitor to fill in a form as part of the process yet this was news to the guard I spoke to over the phone, best thing I can do is clarify it with NCT customer care next week.

Thanks for advice mate

Advertisement