Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Cost of Contraception

Options
  • 29-10-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭

So I was at the doctor just there, getting my routine injection. I didn't have my medical card because it's not my GP (who I'd usually use) as I'm in college. What left me dumbfounded (other than the fact the doctor was a prick but that's another story) was the price! €40 for literally 3 minutes of stabbing a needle into my rear end. In fact, would have been half a minute if he didn't spend so long sneering at me and that was with a student discount. So I had a look at the price list on the way out. It's usually fifty euro and that's not the most expensive thing. The implant is €140 to get in and €100 to get out. A Cervical Check is €100! That's ridiculous prices! Is this the same across all doctors or is this one just taking the mick? How can women afford routine contraception at such prices? I use a medical card and I'm very grateful for it at the best of times but now I'm very thankful for it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Those are the regular prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Last time I went to the doctor it was 50eur for a 6 month prescription of an inhaler I have been in for nearly 20 years. I didn't even sit down in the office.
    I get the pill through Lloyds online doctor (25eur for repeat prescription). I just wouldn't give it to a GP here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I've found the implant, while expensive as an outlay, quite cheap as it lasts for the five years - and you can claim back 20% of it in tax. Not to say that I wouldn't appreciate it being a bit cheaper but the price of peace of mind and not having to buy more formula/nappies = definitely a lot more.

Now, the morning after pill price is the one I have a problem with. In particular, the one you have to get from a GP (if you're over a certain weight) - its twice the price, and thats on top of the GP fee - absolute robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

OP your new GP should accept your medical card as a 'visitor' to the area, as long as they're a practice who deals with medical cards in the first place.
    Could be worth looking into, it'd save you a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I have to pay €60 for a visit with a GP, and for any prescription on top of that.

It probably seems like a lot to you if you're not used to paying at all with having a medical card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My medical card is up and the chemist sympathised with me about how expensive my pill is going to be from now on. Instead of free consultations it'll be E60 consults and feck knows how much for the pill itself.

You'd think they'd make contraception and visits related to contraception free for everyone.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

When I lived in Dublin, it was €55 once a year plus €10 to get the repeat prescription, plus €52 every six months for my pill (was on Yasminelle at the time).

Over here? All contraceptives are free, and all I have to do to get my repeat prescription is ring the surgery because they have an e-prescriptions system with the local pharmacies. I love the NHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Now, the morning after pill price is the one I have a problem with. In particular, the one you have to get from a GP (if you're over a certain weight) - its twice the price, and thats on top of the GP fee - absolute robbery.

Just to mention, the studies were looked at again and the weight restrictions were lifted a couple of months ago so it no longer applies to the MAP available in pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Morag wrote: »
    You'd think they'd make contraception and visits related to contraception free for everyone.

But then people would be having the Sex, and they'd burn in hell because of not conceiving good Catholic babbies.

• Advertisement

http://realproductivehealth.com/map-your-map-experience/
    is helpful if you are looking to buy the morning after pill/ emergency contraception.

So far it seems Dr Morris chemists are the cheapest.

Why so?
    Above making say, heart medication free, or childrens' medication free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cripes, I was just getting some contraception, and thought it was ridiculously cheap. €6.32 for 6 months worth of the pill.

Now, I did have to go to the GP, but I do get good value from the GP visits... On that visit where I got the pill, I also got an inhalor prescription renewed, a steroid prescription for my daughter 'just in case' we need it (usually use one of these a year), did a flu vaccine, checked a mole, checked the baby height/weight/hips and development, and did my BP for the pill as well. I go in with a list, it's never just one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Sauve wrote: »
    OP your new GP should accept your medical card as a 'visitor' to the area, as long as they're a practice who deals with medical cards in the first place.
    Could be worth looking into, it'd save you a fortune.

Yeah this is true. I had used mine up though earlier in the year in an emergency and it only lasts for three months after that. I could change my GP to them but I'm in my final year, the on campus doctor is cheaper (but were booked up this time) and this doctor was a bit of an arse to me so wouldn't want him anyway.
    pwurple wrote: »
    I go in with a list, it's never just one thing.

That's what I usually do. It's just unfortunate these things can't wait.
    Why so?

I wouldn't call for making it free but definitely cheaper and maybe have all repeat prescriptions free, not just contraception.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

sup_dude wrote: »
    So I was at the doctor just there, getting my routine injection...That's ridiculous prices! Is this the same across all doctors or is this one just taking the mick? How can women afford routine contraception at such prices?

They're pretty standard prices. And women afford it because they've no choice if they're sexually active, simple as.

I pay €50 for the doctor's consultation and €12.70 per three-week pack of my pill. My doc is pretty cool about renewing the prescription a couple of times without making you come in and see him, but if he is asking me to come in for a check-up and there's nothing else wrong with me, I use Lloyd's Online Doctor instead, it's €25. I did see an ad for a new online service offering the same thing and they had an introductory offer of €10 for your first use, which I might go with next time. My prescription very rarely lasts the full six months as I tend to run packets together a lot.

My sister is on a much, much cheaper Pill (about €3 a pop) but I have absolutely zero issues/side effects with the Pill I'm on so I'm very much of the "if it ain't broke" school of thought on it.

The financial burden of contraception definitely falls disproportionately heavily on women, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I had to go to gp in my home country and I didn't bother sorting out EU medical card before travelling (I do get travel insurance though). The nurse was apologizing for about five minutes that they have to charge me 25 euros for check up and prescription medication. :D I found it quite entertaining.

As many others, I sort out a few issues at the same time and pay about 60 or 70 Euro for kids and myself. I think prescription renewal without check up is 20 or 30 Euro. Then you can add a 200+ per month for two adults and two kids private insurance on top of that. It can be really expensive not having medical card.

Why so?

Cos it's cheaper then child benefit.

Cos it's cheaper then child benefit.

Heart medication is cheaper than bypass surgery.
    An antibiotic for a child is cheaper than a hospital stay to treat an advanced infection.

Being sexually active is a choice, and using contraception is a choice. Neither are anyway up the list of things that I'd consider should be free to people who choose to use them.
    If you're sexually active and you don't want to become pregnant, then the sensible thing is to use contraception. But it's nobodies duty but your own to pay for it.

If you're sexually active and you don't want to become pregnant, then the sensible thing is to use contraception. But it's nobodies duty but your own to pay for it.

The NHS covers it. Obamacare generally covers it. Why shouldn't Ireland?

Why should Ireland, is the question really. There are far more pressing concerns that I'd make free of charge over contraception. Far more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

An antibiotic for a child is cheaper than a hospital stay to treat an advanced infection.
    Death is cheaper again!

As far as I know nhs covers everything else too. I am in favour of free gp visits and prescription medication but I am not sure I would provide it solely for contraception. Personally kids cost me way more than pills. But in general I think either basic services should be free for all or means tested (that includes pensioners). When ever you do a blanket cover for a whole cohort of people it is including some that don't need it and excluding some that badly need it (the same goes for blanket cover for under fives).

All prescriptions are free in Scotland, in England and Wales there is a charge of around £7 per item if you don't have some kind of exemption from prescription charges.

All prescriptions are free in Scotland, in England and Wales there is a charge of around £7 per item if you don't have some kind of exemption from prescription charges.

And I agree with that. But I think something like promised and never delivered healthcare reform would be more welcome than singular measures for one group of people. That being said free services cost in taxes which might disproportionately affect those who were not used paying for private health insurance or were previously covered by medical card.

I just think the whole issue is way more complex than just providing free contraception. On separate note I think most parents would prefer a free gp care for kids because they are a lot more expensive than contraception, majority of those in their thirties or older without dependants should be able to afford contraception and then you are left with under thirties. And they don't vote. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I pay €80 every 12 weeks to see my gyne and get my injection.

For that I get someone who tracks when I need a DEXA scan, when I need a smear, and at my current age is willing to openly discuss a tubal ligation as it's now an option.

She also looks over my general health if I ask her to.

€360 per year outside of GP visits if I am struck down with plague (and my GP will tell you I don't go near her otherwise) for a fairly comprehensive chat and overview of my health works for me

It is a private clinic and I can go there on Saturdays, so no time off work needed, and she is rigourous in regards to checkups, scans and cervical checks. My OH and I use the same GP so she's also someone to talk to if I need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I think the whole cost thing is linked to the 'nanny state' attitude towards prescription medication in Ireland. There are SO many things here which are available OTC over the border, all over Europe, and basically most places.

The two that drive me bonkers are Ponstan (mostly used for period pain - although I don't need it anymore because I have the Mirena) and Diflucan for thrush. When I brought up with my GP that these are both available OTC elsewhere she was of the opinion that people couldn't possibly be trusted - even though these are both available OTC in countries with millions more people than here.

Frankly, it's a joke. (And don't get me started on prescription costs - the way we're overcharged is thievery)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Being sexually active is a choice, and using contraception is a choice. Neither are anyway up the list of things that I'd consider should be free to people who choose to use them.

But the fact is people have sex and like to have sex. Yes its a choice, so is having a poor diet and ending up with diabetes. Without your logic the tax payer shouldnt pay for that persons medicine.

The government should pay for free contraception. It's the benefits are far greater than the costs. Women aren't going to drop out of education due to becoming pregnant. Women can choose when to have children. Therefore plan their career better. The state won't have to pay for mother's who can't support their unplanned child.

The fact is if your a teenager with no job. €15 for a box of condoms seems really expensive and it's worth the risk of no using them. If they were free you would use them. It's totally unreasonable for the state to pay for the heath care of a rich OAP with a medical card. But yet refuse to provide free contraception to broke students

Not all students are broke. It is exactly the same argument as for the OPAs. It should be available for everything or means tested. Even then it is often not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm curious, with the online prescriptions from llyods, how do you do the blood pressure check?

Do they talk about blood clot risks and how to recognise symptoms of them, advantages and disadvantages of different forms of contraception, how to take it correctly, what to do if you miss one... etc?

I quiz my GP fairly thoroughly about contraception. There are loads of different options out there. Mirena coil, nuvaring, implant, injection, gel, combination pill, progesterone only, low dose etc etc. I want to be sure the GP knows exactly what I'm looking for, what side effects I won't tolerate, my family history. I don't know how you get that without talking to a real person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

My GP is €50 and I get a 6 month script for a €3 pill. Pretty cheap considering the chances of getting pregnant without it in my book.

Advertisement