Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graduate salary

• 18-08-2014 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi, I'm in the shake up for a job with an environmental consultant, in the coming days I will be asked about my expected salary.

I am graduating this year with a 2.1 Hons Degree in Environmental Science.

anybody know what salaries are being offered West of the Shannon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Not based in Ireland currently but from looking around I would think as a graduate "west of the Shannon" I would think between €25-€28k plus benefits. Interested to see what other people who work in the industry think. Obviously best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

My company starts a grad on 26k, with masters possibly 28k. Based in Dublin, typically 100 applications per vacancy

It may increase a little next year (1kish)

I'd ask for 28-30k and see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

In the UK salaries are roughly 21-23 k GBP which works out around 27,000-28,000 euros give or take so I'd reckon go in around that level and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

modmuffin wrote: »

anyone thinking of that, have might be of some help:
    http://water.lasntg.ie/fog.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but no grad is going to start on 26K+ in the west of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

I got my level 8 degree last may and in a env company now. 18k / year. Not much but it's a start and good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Stan27 wrote: »
    I got my level 8 degree last may and in a env company now. 18k / year. Not much but it's a start and good experience.

Ouch. At least you have a job. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

On a similar enough topic, the supply and demand ratio for entry to mid level roles in the waste/environmental sector is fairly sick. Rang up today about a job I applied for to be told that they received 150 applicants and I wasn't getting an interview. Anyone see this changing anytime soon or will us lot abroad looking to move back be stuck for a while longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

As part of his Budget 2015 speech to the Dáil earlier this week the Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin announced the end of the moratorium on recruitment in the public service. While I guess the move to recruit new staff will be slow initially the change is positive. Many of the environmental science jobs nationally had been through public service bodys such as the epa, local authorities, parks and wildlife and fishery protection. The recruitment embargo effectively stopped any new recruitment to these bodys and greatly reduced the opportunities available to new entrants in areas related to environmental science .

Hopefully we will see some more opportunities arising shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

franglan wrote: »
    On a similar enough topic, the supply and demand ratio for entry to mid level roles in the waste/environmental sector is fairly sick. Rang up today about a job I applied for to be told that they received 150 applicants and I wasn't getting an interview. Anyone see this changing anytime soon or will us lot abroad looking to move back be stuck for a while longer?

Well I live in the UK and we're struggling to find mid-level people at the minute. Graduate jobs are massively over subscribed due to 5-6 years of no hiring but the levels higher up are finding it difficult because no new grads joined so there are no 'lower' level employees looking to move up the ladder.

Environmental Assistant Internship available with Noonan Environmental under the Jobbridge scheme:
    http://evolutionenvironmental.ie/environmental-assistant-internship/

Noonan Environmental have hired 6 jobbridge interns in the past 18 months, with all 6 gaining full-time paid employment within 5 months. This is a fantastic opportunity to get a start with a company that is growing in this space.

If you are interested but not eligible for the jobbridge scheme send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

franglan wrote: »

It depends. There aren't a huge amount of big projects going just yet and there will still be the same big companiesi n the shake-up for that. As new projects come out, some companies may be looking for mid-level people but from what I've seen it's been more graduates than mid-level people coming in, especially graduates that have done a stint over the summer etc who get the nod.

Advertisement