Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sum of torque

• 22-04-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

A ball turn at w rd/s. There is centrifugal force. There are 2 walls that turn at w rd/s too. I try to find the sum of torque on all the system. I suppose the center of gravity of ball like center of circle. I suppose center of gravity of {all less ball} like red point.

The global study:

8rlg.png

The projection on axis give:

v313.png

Now if I added different friction on ball/wall1 and ball/wall2, this give:

e0kn.png

Like this how sum of torque can be at 0 ?

I tested a long time on Algodoo, clockwise it win energy, anticlockwise it loose energy. If I change friction this change the degree of energy win/lost. And if I change friction 1 > friction 2 or reverse the sign of energy change too. I give Algodoo file "a tr.zip"

If I'm looking at center of gravity. Friction is apply on center of gravity of ball and center of gravity of system {all less ball}. Radius are not the same so how sum of torque can be at 0 ?

If friction is not the same on wall 1/wall 2, this would say the sphere turn ? If yes, the sphere can add energy to the system ?

Green color: sum of forces, there are not collinear:

g00q.png

Sometimes forces are like:

zzyb.png

The system turn clockwise, so forces add a torque.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭neufneufneuf

I tested with frequency until 10000000 Hz and the result is the same. I tested at work with Comsol multiphysics and I obtain same result, the energy increase more and more. The difference between Algodoo and Comsol is only 10 % of results. I tested with 2D objects not point object. The energy is constant if I set friction at 0. So maybe friction act on center of gravity on small ball and center of gravity of big ball. These centers of gravity are not the same. Not same radius, so not same torque. One torque give more energy. Especially with 2d object not point, when I look at big circle, friction must slow it but a part of the object move in the direction of the friction (other part no).

Object 1 has its own trajectory, object 2 has its own trajectary. Why it's not possible to forces of friction that sometimes these two forces add energy to the system ? Like I loot the system turn, I see energy increase more in the direction of the linear velocity. There are 2 movements for each object 1 and 2: One linear movement and a rotation. When object move, it moves more in the direction of the linear velocity than in the 180° direction. Friction act with rotationnal velocity not linear, so if object move less in rotation due to the linear velocity, there is lower force so lower energy. Look at trajectory of object 1 and 2, there are not the same :

w2db.png

Another test with spring for add forces :

b8jf.png

Now, maybe Comsol and Algodoo have same error because equations in the simulator are not good.

I tested with springs and energy won is higher: 0.1 J /s. I give the Algodoo scene in zip file.

ns5h.png

With one spring, energy increase too:

m06h.png

With one spring, energy increase only when forces are like that :

7nva.png

I tested with this case. Positive slope of sum of energy is more stable. The slope is bigger when spring move (rotational velocity decrease but sum of energy increase), file ste3. When spring is blocked by walls the rotational velocity increase without stop, file ste4.

Example when spring move along the big piece.

kgdz.png

With 3 frequencies, results are differents but energy increase:

vx6l.png

The spring move differently in these 3 frequencies and this chang the energy.

With different frequencies, result change but after 1800 Hz the slope is the same.

lxh6.png

This interesting nobody ?

With this shape:

wd82.png

I can have these trajectories for object1 and object2:

uox1.png

The sum of energy is:

ea3c.png

Forces are like that :

curm.png

During 30 s cycle is like that :

qg25.png

Sum of energy change when trajectory change.

I tested with wm2d, there is a difference of energy too. The center of gravity move too. The file is here :

x41x.png

https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B63Jbse1IMAkaWtDTko3TTVnY0U

Even if precision is increased, the result don't be constant.

I simulated with bigger dimensions, the difference of energy is bigger even forces are in the same range than before.

This give these results:

q8xk.png

i9m2.png

h0o5.png

2o30.png

nps1.png

• Advertisement

The system give energy while piece 2 moves compare to piece 1. Centers of gravity are not the same and them trajectories are not the same too. Force F from friction act on piece 1 and act -F on piece 2, like trajectories are not the same, this force don't works the same energy to piece 2 than piece 1. Datas of center of gravity are:

m1fe.png

The CG1 move of 0.03 m each second relatively to CG2.

The power of all the system increase like that:

mkrw.png

Rotationnal velocity :

xt3k.png

Force on Object2 :

qqao.png

Compute power is :

3n2e.png

In the contrary the force on Object1 is 0.064 N and the center of gravity move like that:

qp7s.png

The power is F*v = 0.064*2.2 = 0.14 W. The sum is 11.2-0.14 = 11.04 W and like the force must be correct with angle (-15° to 15°), the result is very near that Algodoo give.

Maybe it's an explanation of the energy that increase.

I think I understood and I can compute where is the energy. The energy increase only when there is friction and better if friction is asymetric. When Object2 rotating, the torque is directly friction by radius. But for Object1, friction move object in the contrary direction, like this is a rotation, a part of object move in the contrary direction (compare to Object2) this decrease energy, but a part of Object1 move in the good direction, the energy increase.

xkrl.png

There is a difference from calculations and Algodoo. The main reason the energy increase is:

ng9a.png

I don't take in account the friction, but it's an energy lost because Object 2 moves relatively to Object 1. The distance is around 6 m each 9 s (a turn). With a friction at 0.5 and a force at 5 N this energy is not small. It's 6/9*F, with last system friction is at 0.3 N so the energy lost is around 0.2 W. So the sum of energy is more than I have from Algodoo (Algodoo don't take in account energy lost by friction) is bigger.

It's an asymetric forces from friction right/left, loo at image:

8ggu.png

Object 2 has a torque and a linear acceleration. Object 1 has only a linear acceleration, not torque. The green force is always in this part of object 1. The torque for Object2 is 0.07 N at left and 0.07 N at right, the rest of forces at right is only for linear acceleration. Like Object1 and 2 don't move a lot about their center of gravity, energy from linear acceleration is small. In the contrary, torque give:

0.07 * 490 * 0.7 = 24 W

Algodoo don't trace centrifugal forces but maybe the source of the solution is here:

2ala.png

I increased mass for look at energy, and the power is 100 W if mass is of 50 kg. I suppress the internal mass that change nothing in the result:

y29k.png

t4g3.png

I study this new case:

d7zr.png

It's possible to look at trajectories of the center of gravity:

whvw.png

Parameters and results are:

x2km.png

I think it's only the difference of trajectory that give energy.

For have the power: the image below showing the force : 22 N, take the radius of object2: 0.026 m and angular velocity: 18.4 rd/s this give the power of 22*0.026*18.4 = 10.5 W it's Algodoo's result (Algodoo don't compute friction).

jqci.png

The force is around 22 N for each part of Object2:

bpcx.png

image cxx3 I added an axis on Object1, this don't change the result.

P = 18.5 rd/s * 0.026 m /2 * 88 * cos(60) = 10.5 W

me14.png

F1 don't works along its trajectory, like F2 in another case but F1/F2 give a torque for all the system no ?

6p12.png

A possibility for forces and distance that explain the difference of torque:

d0d8.png

Look at trajectories:

4iad.png

I added a gif for show where is the torque.

I think I find the source of the problem. I tested with different frequencies and I have this:

bu5z.png

So, I thought it can be possible to find the good frequency, but if I let turn I have this:

ii2e.png

And I find when I can have energy, forces need to be like magenta circle shows:

vhj7.png

So, these forces must give a torque. Maybe the torque give energy to red/orange object but for the green object a part of force is like centrifugal force ?

Details of forces:

28wf.png

I added images with details of forces in relation with slope of energy

za4g.png

jv9e.png

If I take the system like this:

90sv.png

All the system turn at w rd/s, w is constant, can't change (another system recover torque for let w constant). I apply force F1 and F2 from blue object to red object, the red object turn around its center of gravity, I lost energy for turn red object but I have potential energy in red object (1/2Iw²). But blue object has receive a torque in the same time, this torque is recover from external system (not drawn), torque is equal at d2F2p-d1F1p, F1p and F2p are projections. The sum of energy is greater like Algodoo shows.

If blue object turn at constant rotational velocity w around axis "axis" anticlockwise (external system not drawn limit its rotational velocity). Orange object is forced to be like image because there is Fc force. If I apply forces F1 and F2 on orange object, it will turn and I increase potential energy. But in the same time blue object has a torque from -F1/-F2 because distances d1 and d2 are not equal. The energy from blue object can be recover by external system and limit rotational velocity of blue object.

I turn orange object at w' clockwise for have the same velocity at each point of orange object like that forces F1/F2 can apply a torque.

tqbm.png

• Advertisement

with :

d7u3.png

w1=-w2

if a stator of a motor is fixed to disk1 and the rotor is fixed to disk2 (at axis "y"), when the motor apply its torque on disk2 it apply torque on disk1, the motor need energy to apply torque to disk2 but why it need energy to apply torque to disk1 ? stator and rotor rotate at the same rotational velocity around axis "x".

If I take stem and object at end like image shows. I give rotational velocity to stem around axis "x", object rotates around "x" not around "y". The system has less energy than if object turns around "y" too. Stem turns at w around "x", object turns around "x" at w, but don't turn around "y". Object and stem don't have same rotational velocity (w compare to 0). Now I can brake from stem to object, object add a torque (and I can recover energy from brake) to stem and add its rotational velocity, the system add energy.

dyal.png

I apply F3 to object, stem receive F1, axis "y" receive F2 and F4 ? so, all these torque cancel themselves but the system has more energy at end because object rotates around "y" in the same time.

6pak.png

It's better if I accelerate the object !

3qoj.png

I think it's works only when moment of inertia are not the same for object and stem.

Maybe I can use this last technic with this example. The idea is to accelerate an inertial mass with a motor. All energy consume by motor is in mass in rotation. The motor accelerate only rear bottom green pole from magenta pole ant front top green pole from another magenta pole, the rotor has always Fr/-Fr and turn around its axis of rotation and the stator has Fs/-Fs and turn around axis X. Radius r2 > r1 so the torque on stator is not the same. Magenta pole is fixed to stator. For the stator it's not more difficult to repuls green pole even it rotates in the contrary direction because the rotor rotates perpendiculary to axis X.

qj31.png

0xfd.png

b70o.png

Angular velocity around axis X can be fixed at 10 rd/s for example if external system recover energy in the same time. With a unique rolling element in the center of rotor all forces cancel themselves in the center except 2Fr and 2Fs. Fr increase angular velocity of rotor and Fs give torque for external system.

arrt.png

With a slope for the motor:

q3ym.png

In this follow image, the motor moves perpendiculary to your screen:

ki0c.png

Fr/-Fr => rotates the rotor energy from motor goes to kinetics energy of rotor

Fs/-Fs => rotates the stator around X axis, this give extra energy

Magenta pole are fixed to the stator.

1px7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭citrus burst

I hope you cite Boards.ie in your thesis

I will cite when I have the solution, sure. Nobody reply, but even I don't find, sometimes I would like to understand where the solution don't works. In all last examples with Algodoo I don't find the error of the software, when 2 objects turn free, this is logical each object apply a torque to another due to friction, the software can't be wrong at this level. The work of a torque is torque by angle of rotation, angle of rotation depends of moment of inertia, if moment of inertia are differents, why work of torques must be the same ? I found example where in one direction the torque destroy energy in another direction it can create. I tested now with Multibody of Comsol for look at the sum of energy, like I'm teacher I can have a trial. But if someone can explain what's happen in physics with maths it's better.

I think I understood even with an axis why Algodoo increase energy. Take the following example:

wn5t.png

All the system turn around "axis of rotation". Object1 and object2 turn at Ω rd/s around axis of rotation. Object2 turn at ω rd/s around its center of gravity. One contact Object1/Object2 is without friction (near F3) and one is with friction (F2/F5). All forces except centrifugal forces are drawn. F2/F5 are forces from friction these forces reduce ω but add heat, a torque appears with F2/F3. Note if ω = 0 Object2 win energy and there is friction, in this case Object2 will turn like Object1 a moment after when ω = Ω, the moment of inertia of Object2 around its center of gravity is low compared to Object1 around axis of rotation, energy from a torque is torque by angle of rotation and angle of rotation depend of 1/Inertia. But F2 accelerate Object2 and F5 decelerate Object1, like moment of inertia are not the same the system accelerate alone, energy increase. There are chocs all the time because one object accelerate and other decelerate but each time there is a contact the energy increase, it's for that Algodoo change the result with frequency. With a shape different than a circle the torque can appear from the object himself.

Without main axis of rotation it is logical the energy can increase.

Another case :

drpz.png

It's possible to have Friction X > Friction Y and have a torque on Object1 = 0 from forces F6/F8. In the contrary forces F2/F4 works and increase angular velocity of Oject2 (ω can be equal to 0 at start). Sum of forces F2/F4 give a force to center of gravity of Object2 but moment of inertia of Object2 around its center of gravity is not the same than around axis of rotation, and here the distance of Object2 to Axis of rotation can be as greater I want.

And the following example where F2+F4 is parallel to the radius like that this sum don't works:

z0s5.png

If I take this example, energy increase more than 5%, it's logical there is a problem with sum of energy, no ? The frequency change the delay of mouvement of spring, so the slope of energy change too but the top value of energy don't change really with frequency. Without friction sum of energy is fixed. Someone could help me, or at least Humanity, or your children, to demonstrate it with maths ?

42xy.jpg

ivvj.jpg

m7ov0.jpg

ajms.jpg

With the basic case of 2 objects (without axis), it's possible to see the angular velocity of Object1 is not the same than Object2, if a torque exist due to the friction I could say the work of this torque can be not equal at 0.

4agu.png

With this example energy increase of 13 % per second, it's not possible it's an error from frequency:

3cnl.png

With frequency at 2400 Hz, the result is exactly the same :

tuvy.png

I done a mistake

I done a mistake, sorry

With one ball with 2 contacts, right and left. The ball is allow to turn around itself without friction. Like inertia of ball I1 is different of global system I2 (that turn too), the sum of energy must be not constant. And this is like Algodoo software is showing from last tests, the sum of energy of the system increase due to the difference of inertia. A positive torque on a system can add energy, in the contrary the negative torque will decrease energy but :

1/ The angle of rotation change with inertia and t², second law of Newton
    2/ Work of torque is torque by angle of rotation

Work of T1 is K/I1 and work of T2 is -K/I2 how they can be equal in value ?

If inertia are not the same, angle too for the same time, so like torques are the same (one positive and one negative), the work is not the same I think, no ?

For find the torque I thought like that:

Work of torque = Torque by angle of rotation ( W=T*Theta )

Angle of rotation = Theta = 1/2 * a * t² with a the rotationnal acceleration

Second law of Newton : Torque = I * a with I the inertia

So, Angle of rotation = 1/2 * T/I * t²

So, Work of torque = 1/2 * T²/I * t²

W1 = 1/2 * T²/I1 * t²
    W2 = -1/2 * T²/I2 * t²

It's logical that W1 is not equal to W2 (in value) if I1 is not equal to I2, no ?

Edit: If there is friction, the sum of energy is at 0 but in case where torque exist without friction (it's possible with a mechanical system) sum of energy is not 0. Algodoo don't compute temperature.

Maybe it's logical with energy inside an object in rotation Jw². Two objects have a rotationnal velocity of 10 rd/s, same inertia. One object accelerate and other decelerate (echange of energy). At start system has 2*10² = 200 J after one second with a torque of 2 Nm and inertia of 1, one object is at 8 rd/s other at 12 rd/s. The sum of energy is 8² + 12² = 208 J. More than before.

• Advertisement

with 2 free objects in rotation, the unique question is:

- a torque can be exist from one object to another ?

if yes, the sum of energy is not constant.

Another example on image with 3 objects and gears for give torque, energy don't goes to temperature (friction is at 0) but goes to rotationnal velocity of red disks. They increase their velocity. Here 4 disks will turn at different velocity and the sum of energy is not constant. Each disk receive a torque and this allow to have different velocities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwN8YoHPKH8

I think I have an idea where the energy come from Algodoo. Take 2 disks, a small grey and a bigger blue. Blue disk is turning at +10 rd/s, grey disk is turning at -3 rd/s (other direction). The enregy of grey is :

E = 1/2 M (w1d)² + 1/2 J(w1+w2)² with M the inertia from arm and J the inertia from rotation itself

Before "t=0" disks are separated, at t=0, disks are like gears without friction. Disks are connected like gears. The big disk slow down, its energy move down. The small disk increase its rotationnal velocity, so its energy decrease like formula say: w1+w2 if w2 < 0 the energy decrease. The arm win energy because it's accelerating but this energy is not the same than energy lost by disks. Arm has a mass (limited at green point for simplify exercice).

The energy is :

-Fp/g * d * Theta - Fb * r * Theta' + (Fg/p-Fb) * d * Theta = Fb * r * Theta' - Fb * d * Theta = Fb ( r * Theta' - d * Theta )

result depends of w1 and w2 and r and d, it's not 0 with some values.

LrWGT7.png

rXvegd.png

Or use this case:

At start, gears are off, at t=0 gears is on. The energy of red disk decrease. The energy of grey disk decrease too. w1=10 and w2=-3 for example. What else ?

jLa3BY.png

it's easier to compute sum of energy, here no energy to arm so the sum is not constant.

With 2 objects in rotation with friction like Algodoo simulation:

HEv10o.png

Friction create forces F1/F2 and reaction -F1/-F2.

Blue object turn at w2 rd/s and has an inertia of I2.
    Blue disk has a red axis of rotation (if it's possible to compute without axis it's better I think).
    Yellow object turn at w1 rd/s and has an interia of I1 (around its center of gravity).
    Yellow disk is free to move, no axis of rotation.
    Yellow disk has a mass M.

Torques works like this:

-F1/F2 : increase energy of blue disk with 1/2*I2*w2²
    F1/-F2: change energy like 1/2*M*(w2*d)²+1/2*I1*(w2-w1)²

w2 increase
    w1 increase too

but the sum of energy change like:

E = 1/2*I2*w2² + 1/2*M*(w2*d)²+1/2*I1*(w2-w1)² + energy from friction = Eb+Ey1+Ey2+Fr

I1 = Mr² with r the radius of yellow disk, r can be 1/10 od d so Md² >> I1, the only way to lost energy is the third parameter (w2-w1)² but with I1 << Md² the energy lost is loer the energy won. And there is the 1/2*I2*w2² and friction that together energy.

Something's logical, imagine 2 cases:

1/ energy of yellow disk move up, energy of blue disk move down. Ey+Eb+friction = sum of energy

2/ energy of blue disk move up, energy of yellow disk move down. Ey+Eb+friction = sum of energy

friction is the same in two case; This could say Ey=Eb but it's not possible due to the difference of inertia. Yellow disk can change its velocity with w1 but with w2 too, not grey disk, there is an asymetric here.

How it's possible to have a constant ? Someone can help me to start the resolution of this problem ?

I think I found the bast case where all energy increase. Before start, blue disk, red disk and grey disks turn without friction. Note, red disk turn at w2 around itself and at w1 around blue point. A t=0, friction1 and friction2 are ON. This give a torque to grey and blue disks, energy of blue and grey disks increase. Red disk increase its rotational velocity around blue point (w1 increase). Rotationnal velocity of red disk around its center of gravity slow down SO the energy increase too. All energies increase here. And there is energy from friction too. Friction 1 and 2 are choose for have a torque on red disk and only a torque. For this, friction must change all along the distance. It's just a technical problem. It's the red disk that increase energy. w2 must be greater than w1 and w3 must be greater than (w2-w1). w2 must greater than 0. absolute value of w2 must be greater than absolute value of [ abs ( ( (R+r)R ) * w1 ) + abs(w3) ]. This limit the scale for recover energy. With R radius of big disk and r radius of small disk.

U6DlXJ.png

A0RcqC.png

I think big disk (disk that turn at w1) must be lower than small disk (disk that have w2) for have a difference of energy (w1-w2) increasing when w2 increase.

P47s7c.png

or better with 2 diameters for disk2:

SRYGeD.png

w2 must be greater than w1 but like this the energy is losted when w2 move down. I think it's possible to use a gear for increase rotationnal velocity of w2 for the external disk 3 (w3).

Maybe with method energy can move up for 3 objects:

qFkUO9.png

With this simple case:

Magenta disk has a velocity around red point and around blue point too at start, this energy is gave. At t=0, 2 disks are like figure, with friction between 2 disks. Magenta disk increase rotationnal velocity of grey disk. Grey disk turn around blue point only. Magenta disk decrease its velocity around blue point but decrease its velocity around red point too. The sum of energy is not 0. Black arm is force to turn like grey disk.

UeLn5a.png

Forces and torque can be like that:

vybMmK.png

Blue disk can turn at w1 around red axis, yellow disk can turn at w2 around itself and at w1 around red axis, with w2<w1. Torque from friction F1/F2 on blue disk do nothing due to forces that pass throught axis. Torque F3/F4 on yellow disk add energy and friction too. The sum of energy is not constant. (Need a spring for have a contact yellow_disk/black_wall, not drawn).

1ivzqi.png

I think this can works with a free red axis, not fixed to Earth, it's important.

Maybe like that ? N disks all around disk1. Each disk (except disk1) receive a torque that slow down rotationnal velocity of diskX, so the energy increase is W1 > Wx with X from 2 to N. And N the number of disks (except disk1). W1 is clockwise, Wx are anticlockwise. W1 don't decrease because forces pass through axis of rotation (blue point in center of grey disk1)

P4pAI6.png

This is friction that create forces Fx/Fy. Black stems fixed to grey disk receive forces but nothing change about energy for grey disk.

Like before, system is launched with rotationnal velocity. After, with friction N disks (except disk1) increase energy of the system.

Better with this:

gvljfO.png

There are 2 objects, one grey and red turn at W1, second with black and blue disks. There are N blue disks. Blue disks turn at the same W2 with W2<W1. Change friction for have the same force +F/-F on each disk. Object with N disks turn at W1 around red axis in the same time (like previous cases).

If I come back to Algodoo's problem:

cPKO58.png

1/ The system has an axis of rotation noted Axis1. Like that the energy won by the system is 0, like Algodoo shows (a small error from Algodoo).

2/ Now, cancel the Axis1, the system is free to move in space, it can rotate around its center of gravity noted Axis2, like Algodoo compute. Look at torque T1 and T2. At case 1/ no torque T1 and torque T2 is multiply by d2. Here, T1 exist and increase rotationnal velocity of blue disk. And T2 is lower because d1<d2. So with the same force on yellow disk, it's possible to have more energy if I compare with case 1/

Maybe it's possible to compute this energy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Since you are getting no replies, possibly you could try https://www.physicsforums.com/ or alternatively physics.stackexchange.com/ - in particular the latter is quite good.

Previously I posted on Boards.ie, I asked to physicsforum and french forum. Physicsforum don't want to ear about overunity ideas (or even simulation test), like french forum (in fact it's worst in french forum !), I asked in the same time at stackechange but nobody reply about Algodoo software (I think nobody know it). I had post about main problem with Algodoo and don't have any reply. The only physics forum where I can post is here, and thanks to it ! Algodoo is not a professional software but it is fine enough for compute correctly sum of energy. I tested a lot of cases and I'm sure there is a problem, because even I increase steps or another parameters the sum of energy is not constant. I'm trying to understand where is the logic about the difference of energy from Algodoo and I think this is the fact the system is free to move in space (no axis) like last image shows. One disk turn around itself and win energy. I would like to test with another software but I don't have one. I think the best is to calculate the sum of energy but I don't know how to start the resolution of the problem with no axis, it's very difficult to me. Thanks for your reply ZorbaTehZ, it is so rare :)

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/113145/sum-of-energy-in-a-free-rotation-with-algodoo-sofware

If I take a system like Algodoo simulate I need to take in account the movement of yellow disk to the center. So, friction give a torque on yellow disk F4/-F4 and a force which goes to the center of gravity F3-F4. Blue disk have the same torque in the contrary direction and a force -F3+F4. It's possible to imagine black walls and spring whitout mass. And spring can have the exact value for cancel centrifugal force on yellow disk. Torque F4/-F4 on blue disk works like 2R(F3-F4)w1t but torque of yellow disk works like a part of 2R(F3-F4)w2t because yellow disk move in the same time. Friction is 2FR(w1-w2)-2Fd with d the distance move by disks.

T8KKZV.png

• Advertisement

Maybe the difference come from the angle "a" done between trajectory and force. Green solid can "rotate" along a very (very) small spiral but red solids move along a bigger spiral. If there is an angle between trajectory and force, the work is lower for red solids than green solid.

QY4Of1.jpg

8Z1Jyb.png

rsxjgo.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement