Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's in Germany or planning to come over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Vero

@furet
    erlangen is full of students, as the main part of the university is based there. because of that it's pretty expensive. if you're attending the FAU, check out if your classes take place in nuremberg or in erlangen, because commuting is pretty annyoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I will be moving to the Koeln / Bonn area in 6 weeks with work. Lived for 4 yrs near Bremen some yrs back, so not a huge change for me.

Can anybody recommend good areas to live in Koeln? looking for house and access to English speaking school etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi All
    My GF is moving to Kiel in February for a Ph.D. :(
    Just wondering. Is there any internet providers or phone companies providing a "Pay as you go" 3G modem in Germany. I'd be surprised if there wasnt but I just wanted to make sure.
    Would be nice to be able to Skype her as much as possible.

Regards

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

hamsterboy, I think most phone companies offers a 3G PAYG broadband solution. T-Mobile have the fastest network and it covers all the big cities, but it's worth trying before you buy, if possible!

It might be worth getting DSL in instead though. I use Alice DSL. You don't need to pay line rental or have an active telephone line - though a line itself must be in your apartment.

A great thing about Germany is that if, for example, you are returning home, you may escape from things like phone/internet contracts without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Cheers,
    Will be looking into those.

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Ich bin in Muenchen:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tall Saint

Hi,
    I'm planning to move over to Germany in May/June. My girlfriend is German and studying in Freiburg so that's where I'm headed. I've been there already and really enjoyed myself there so I'm looking forward to it.

The thing is, I've only started learning German in the past few months so I'm really only at a beginner level. Any advice on German courses while I'm there? I've obviously checked out the Goethe Institute, at the moment I'm doing online stuff with dw-world.de and using the Langenscheidt books at home. I enjoy learning it (thank god!) and I'm hoping to teach English while I'm over there.

Also, any advice on opening bank accounts there etc would be appreciated. I'm lucky in that my girlfriend can pretty much help me with most of this stuff, but I'd also like to know what are some of the most important things to do when I first get there. Registering there to pay taxes while I'm working etc. i really have no clue how to go about the latter kind of business.

Any help/advice appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Tall Saint wrote: »
    Hi,
    I I've obviously checked out the Goethe Institute,

Hi, Tall Saint, sign up with Goethe now if you can for a few weeks. it'll give you a good headstart for when you get to Freiburg.

I wouldn't get too stressed out about bank stuff, registering etc for the moment,
    you can enjoy:eek: all that stuff when you get there.

Not sure how easy it is to get job teaching English without Acels, Tefl etc.

Best of luck
    jb

Hi JB, thanks for that. I'd love to sign up to the Goethe but im in Cork and it would be a bit expensive for me to do it in Dublin before I go. I just had to pay for my TEFL course too and want to go over with as much as money as possible obviously in the event I dont get work in the first few weeks. My girlfriend's team-mate (she plays soccer) is an American student over there who does teaching part-time, and from what I've heard there are a few places in and around Freiburg looking for teachers, I'm only hoping I can get enough hours to get by on at the start.
    I'm really excited about it but my biggest barrier at the moment is the language I guess.I looked into doing the Goethe course in Freiburg, think its around 900 euro or so, well worth it no doubt, but being currently out of work is really limiting my options :( i thought about their distance learning course, im not sure how much that is though, and i would much rather be in a class room.I will probably look into one-to-one lessons when I'm there.
    (jesus another extremely long post,sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Try the local Volkshochschule in Freiburg. Much cheaper than Goethe and the standard can be quite good, sometimes excellent.

here's the link. Unfortunately, it is all in German but you www.leo.org to get you through!

http://www.vhs-freiburg.de/index.php?id=33

But they will speak English with you there when you sign up for the course. Good luck, am very partial to Freiburg myself.

• Advertisement

That's great, thanks a lot for that Micamaca, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Am I allowed promote another forum ? (Don't smack me if not pls!!!)

Really useful website/forum/resource for any foreigner living in or thinking of living in Germany:

www.toytowngermany.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Am I allowed promote another forum ? (Don't smack me if not pls!!!)
    www.toytowngermany.com

No probs :)

I am making the big move to Erlangen on Monday. I've never moved abroad before and I'm just a little apprehensive. I'm leaving the Freundin behind unfortunately. Anyone have any experience on German trains? Should I get a first or second class ticket for my journey from Munich to Erlangen?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

2nd class is perfectly adequate

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I just did my A1.2 in the Goethe last night, did the orals tonight.
    It is about 440 euro, but it is nearly six months long and well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Furet wrote: »
    No probs :)

Anyone have any experience on German trains? Should I get a first or second class ticket for my journey from Munich to Erlangen?

Make sure you turn up for your train good and early. Those Germans like to turn up about 20 mins early to start getting seats, so if you want a window seat by yourself, then show up at least 10 minutes early. Also just watch out for any names displayed above the seat...that means the seat is reserved.

Oh and try a sandwich from Vincenz Murrs in the main train station....they are fantastic, simple tasty food and cheap too! :D

About doing German courses, the Goethe is good but expensive. I'm just pointing out there may be another option available in Germany, which will cost a lot less. The Volkshochschule awards certificates too. Some of the courses will probably start at 120 euro and last a few months, but you might have three classes a week. It is much cheaper. But sometimes you might have teachers who are great and sometimes less great. But you can try a class and change in the first week or two if it doesn't suit you.

on the topic of learning German, does anyone know any good verb books I could pick up to assist my learning? I remember in school I had a French one with a load of verbs,their meanings and all the tenses. Sorry if this is off-topic for the thread,i'll re-post as a new thread if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

Tall Saint wrote: »
    on the topic of learning German, does anyone know any good verb books I could pick up to assist my learning? I remember in school I had a French one with a load of verbs,their meanings and all the tenses. Sorry if this is off-topic for the thread,i'll re-post as a new thread if needed.

Ubung macht den Meister is pretty good for grammar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clarkholm

Hey Furret, how is Erlangen going? I spent a year there, its a great town.

I was a bit iffy about it at the start, mostly because of accommodation issues, not Erlangen itself. The weather has been beautiful this past week (the long, cold winter ended very suddenly last week) and I appreciate now how friendly a place Erlangen is in terms of cyclepaths and walkways etc. Going for a cycle to Nuremberg pretty soon actually! Whereabouts did you live?

• Advertisement

Actually, scratch that - a big storm has just arrived: wind, rain, lightning. No cycle this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Murphaph here in Berlin since early 2009. I like it, working away and doing German 2 evenings a week at the VHS (C2 Oberstufe). I did intensive German lessons at the start to bring me from B1 to C1 and then bailed to an evening course. I speak German mostly with the GF so that helps more now than classes, though I like being kept on the straight and narrow vis a vis grammar! Having experienced both a private school and the VHS I can say I find the standard similarly high in both...will never fork out for lessons outside a VHS in future. My GF does Hungarian at the VHS and her teacher is actually a Hungarian lecturer from Humboldt University, top notch.

A mate of mine is doing intensive lessons with the VHS now and he's coming on in leaps and bounds having started at A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Location: In the S-Bahn Gebiet of Munich. [rapid transport area]
    German: intermediate German with the Cork German Society.
    Evening classes in Germany.
    Sprachdiplom von Goethe Institute.

John C

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

I've just made the move from Galway to Freiburg.

I don't speak German (yet) so it's going to be a bit of a challenge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

mashling wrote: »
    I've just made the move from Galway to Freiburg.

I don't speak German (yet) so it's going to be a bit of a challenge!

I'm moving to Freiburg in Nov. Moving over to the GF once I finish my PhD here (submitting in a week or two). Must admit I am a bit worried as I have no German and no money to do a course. I have a loan to cover rent and living for two months (3 at a stretch) so really need to find a job once I get there. Has anybody found this difficult? I know there are two Irish bars there, but I imagine jobs are not easy to find there as it is a student town already. Stressful stuff!

scopper wrote: »
    I'm moving to Freiburg in Nov. Moving over to the GF once I finish my PhD here (submitting in a week or two). Must admit I am a bit worried as I have no German and no money to do a course. I have a loan to cover rent and living for two months (3 at a stretch) so really need to find a job once I get there. Has anybody found this difficult? I know there are two Irish bars there, but I imagine jobs are not easy to find there as it is a student town already. Stressful stuff!

Post on the Freiburg section of www.toytowngermany.com and ask for tips (it's an English-language website). Go to the Irish pub; someone may be able to point you in the direction of a job somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

scopper wrote: »

Hi Scopper,

I've only been in Freiburg for a week but I have to say that nearly everyone I've met has English so it's easy enough to get by.
    I haven't had to search for a job over here as my lovely boss is letting me work from home, but I have seen a good number of ads up on windows for work (I think I saw one up in the Irish pub O'Kellys for a waitress the last day), and the local paper has a large classifieds section http://www.badische-zeitung.de/lokales/freiburg/ which is available online and can be translated with google translate (thanks google!)

One great thing about Freiburg is that the cost of food here is much cheaper, I got a massive pizza in a nice restaurant the last day for 5 euro, and there are Aldis and Lidls everywhere that are much cheaper than Ireland.

Another Irish head in Freiburg, excellent! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Orla_inka

I hate language schools. They are a rip off both for people working there and students.

If anyone asks about learning German I tell them that there are Germans crying out for tandem partners in most universities.

I see some have mentioned Freiburg. Freiburg has a university and a PH (Teacher training college) I am sure you will find someone willing to teach you German for your English. Also, I think it is a good way to meet lots of young people. Just post a message on the boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Thank you all for the advice. It is making me feel much better about moving :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Aachener here. Moved over about 5 months ago with zero german. Have enough to get by now but my grammer is far from perfect, but I have a job and im settling in nicely.

Advertisement