Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

most politcally incorrect opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Carlotta wrote: »
    Not saying people should pay all the costs, but they should have to make a contribution based on what they can afford. Everyone can afford to pay something, even if its just 5 or 10 euro. Its not about making profit, but people will value a service more if they pay for it and not run down to the GP every time they have a cold just because they have a medical card.

well, i'd rather that people go for every cold, than people who genuinely are sick not going to the doctor because they can't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

obl wrote: »
    Yay! Contoversial!

Essentially, I see those as being like this:

;)

I'd suggest it got spent on stuff with an actual return, and not recreational facilities that wouldn't survive independantly. The country needs to be run like a business, not a charity.

education is recreational? we're a first world country, we rely on tertiary services and industries, therefore relying on third level education to provide the workforce.

and museums, ill argue that they are an educatoinal and national necessity, but i can see how one can argue against their funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

RHRN wrote: »
    I hate 99% of Romanian immigrants (lazy bsatards, at least the Polish work, only say 99% because I knew ONE romanian person who actually did something meaningful in his life i.e NOT BEGGING)
    NOBODY likes Romanians... where I live they beg just outside my estate on gracepark road and on Collins Avenue... They also called round begging on CHRISTMAS DAY last year???? I mean what the ****.... GET A JOB or piss off back to Romania

Right, if you lot are gonna start mouthing off and make generalisations about a whole nation of people, at least have a clue what you're talking about.

The people you are bitching about (that you see begging) are Roma gypsies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_(Romani_subgroup)

Some may come from Romania, but they are NOT the same as Romanians.

The good people of Romania awaits your apologies with baited breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Right, if you lot are gonna start mouthing off and make generalisations about a whole nation of people, at least have a clue what you're talking about.

The people you are bitching about (that you see begging) are Roma gypsies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_(Romani_subgroup)

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

education is recreational? we're a first world country, we rely on tertiary services and industries, therefore relying on third level education to provide the workforce.

Primary and secondary education are necessary to function in this society. Third level is not, therefore it is uneccesary expenditure. Those who want it (e.g. me) can pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Yes, I realise I should have used Romani, bad generalisations.
    I can't edit my post so I'll mark my apology to Romanians here.

However, I will say, as Eastern Europeans go, I have only seen one (who worked with my older sister) who worked and did not live on the streets.
    And he said he hated almost all Romanians and Lithuanians, because they gave him a bad name. According to him, all of them came over to beg or steal etc.

So although how I termed my view was incorrect, it was shaped by my expierences and people I have talked to. I still apologise for being so presumptuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Primary and secondary education are necessary to function in this society. Third level is not, therefore it is uneccesary expenditure. Those who want it (e.g. me) can pay for it.

Yes it is! Nobody will employ a person who has only their leaving cert in a job that has any prospects. If you want to get anywhere higher than a manager in River Island or any other high street shop you need a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Piste wrote: »
    Yes it is! Nobody will employ a person who has only their leaving cert in a job that has any prospects. If you want to get anywhere higher than a manager in River Island or any other high street shop you need a degree.

Plently of people far higher up than manager of River Island never went to college. And who says people want prospects? We both know that there are plenty of people out there who don't even want to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Plently of people far higher up than manager of River Island never went to college. And who says people want prospects? We both know that there are plenty of people out there who don't even want to work!
    wellthose people don't have to got to college (and if you haven't noticed it isn't mandatory)it's just common sense that your % of being fúcked for the rest of your life is higher without a degree of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

To be fair, times have changed a fair bit. A degree is pretty much expected for roles higher than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Third level education creates a LOT of jobs for academic staff. Less student = less jobs.

Fad is right, times have changed an some form of 3rd level education is generally expected in the workforce. *Glances at the majority of friends on the dole* No 3rd level, no apprenticeships, no courses after school; no jobs other than cafeteria work or the deli in the local spar, etc. I'm not being a snob, just pointing out what I see around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Less people going to 3rd level = less expectation from employers that employees will have 3rd level degrees.

The only reason that degrees are expected for jobs which no degree is required to do said job is that so many people have them.

Then again, I still think the most people possible going to college is optimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Carlotta

Fad wrote: »
    But that 5 to 10 euro would just be eaten up by admin costs, its be pointless.

As I said, its not for profit. Having to pay even a token amount would discourage waste and encourage people to take more responsibility for their health.
    Take someone with a medical card. They are assigned to one GP and it is not that easy to change to another. They pay nothing to see this GP. What if they are unhappy with their treatment? Would they complain, demand a second opinion? My feeling is that people who get a free service will not question the quality of the service they receive. This differs from the person who pays 50 euro to see their GP - they will not accept poor service and will insist on the best, changing to a different GP if they are unhappy. So you see, people who get free healthcare feel more disenfranchised and may feel they do not have a right to the best healthcare available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Carlotta

well, i'd rather that people go for every cold, than people who genuinely are sick not going to the doctor because they can't afford it.

True.
    It makes no sense that 30% of the population can see a GP for free while the other 70% have to pay the full whack. People should pay according to what they can afford.
    Fees should start at free (for a very small number of people with certain chronic medical conditions) rising in small increments of 5 to 10 euro. The fee one pays should be decided by means testing, number of dependents, existence of a chronic medical condition etc.

True enough for now, but we are evolving (hopefully) into a knowledge based economy where a high level of education is the norm. This is a good thing and should be encouraged and education should never be dismissed as "recreational". And I'd agree it shouldn't be free, nor should it be prohibitively expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Isn't it a forum entitled Most Politically Incorrect Opinion?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a difference between political incorrectness and outright racial bigotry...

I'm Pro abortion,
    I don't care about starving children in the third world.
    I think the current government/tax system in Ireland is totally bent for the top businessmen and their cronies.
    I don't like Nigerians(I have yet to meet a nice Nigerian so this is my politically INcorrect opinion based on my experiences), I find them to be lazy, rude, arrogant, and intimidating.
    I don't like Jehovah's Witnesses, to me its not far from a cult(can justify this one, some of my relatives are JHs).
    I don't really care if cannabis is legalised or not, I don't want to smoke it so it wouldn't affect me.

I'll probably think of more later.

Ok I can't multi quote (can someone tell me how) but I'm not the only one who holds such views on other nationalities... and I don't buy your racial bigotry argument as they are both the same thing ("racial bigotry" and a politically incorrect opinion)

Your wiki page doesn't exist either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ok I can't multi quote (can someone tell me how) but I'm not the only one who holds such views on other nationalities... and I don't buy your racial bigotry argument as they are both the same thing ("racial bigotry" and a politically incorrect opinion)

Use the multiquote_off.gif button for multi-quotes.

LivingDeadGirl gave her opinion based on personal experience of a group of people. RHRN admitted to having mis-labelled an entire race of people, and then gave some kind of reasoning for their thinking while making an apology. You seem to want it to be OK for people to tar millions of people with the one brush, which is just silly.

Now, that's enough off-topic posting for one evening...

/edit
    Here's that correct wiki link for you
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Your wiki page doesn't exist either.

Theres a wee icon with a plus beside quote, click whichever posts you want and then click post.

Why are you bothering arguing with her, its her opinion, not yours.

Damn thee an file!

An File wrote: »
    Use the multiquote_off.gif button for multi-quotes.

LivingDeadGirl gave her opinion based on personal experience of a group of people. RHRN admitted to having mis-labelled an entire race of people, and then gave some kind of reasoning for their thinking while making an apology. You seem to want it to be OK for people to tar millions of people with the one brush, which is just silly.

Now, that's enough off-topic posting for one evening...

YEAH... WELL... I'M RIGHT AND YOUR WRONG, SO THERE

*Runs away screaming hysterically with covered ears*

ps: thanks for telling me how to multi quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I don't like Capitalism.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Primary and secondary education are necessary to function in this society. Third level is not, therefore it is uneccesary expenditure.
    As a geographically peripheral country with few exportable natural resources, our best hope for economic survival, let alone prosperity, is in areas like the knowledge and high-tech industries, and in service industries like tourism, financial services (not looking good at the moment!), etc.

Therefore from the point of view of economic policy, we need large numbers of high quality graduates, and a fair percentage of those progressing to postgraduate studies up to doctoral and post-doctoral level.

What we do need to change is to concentrate more on fostering skills / attitudes around innovation, independent thinking, the ability to "self-start" ... an entrepreneurial mindset, one could say. Our present education system, while of good quality in many ways, is still far too inclined to rely on "talk and chalk" methodologies where information is poured into empty pitchers until they are deemed to be full, to paraphrase Dickens.

We can all now see (I hope!) the result of a faux-boom in the construction industry supported by (and now undermined by) a banking system creating imaginary money through widespread overuse of credit. We need to do better ... and we need the people who can figure out how to do that, and to provide the expertise to support and drive it.

From a social policy point of view, I am wary of making assumptions from a combination of your location and this part of your post:
    Those who want it (e.g. me) can pay for it.
    but the reality is that without a lot of state support the numbers of those who could afford third level education would dwindle drastically, outside of some well-off enclaves and the professional classes re-populating / self-perpetuating themselves. We would revert in fact to the scenario of 30 years ago (for an in-depth longitudinal study of this pattern, you should read the work of Prof. Patrick Clancy ... if you're interested in broadening your thinking, of course).
    RHRN wrote: »
    And he said he hated almost all Romanians and Lithuanians, because they gave him a bad name. According to him, all of them came over to beg or steal etc.
    So because you can quote one Eastern European who himself has racist opinions, you have proved your point?!

I can't say I've encountered many Romanians (in the broader sense) in Ireland, apart from the endemic Roma gypsies, but I know a large number of Lithuanians and Polish people here. I find them extremely hard-working and very family-oriented, and doing the best that they possibly can for their families and especially their children.
    Plently of people far higher up than manager of River Island never went to college.
    True, but the world has changed / is changing, and there will be far fewer opportunities for such people in the future. That said, I will agree that the small number of people who are naturally gifted with an innovatory and entrepreneurial outlook, have intelligence and are prepared to work hard will always succeed well above what their formal educational levels might appear to predict. Such people are few and far between, however.
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Less people going to 3rd level = less expectation from employers that employees will have 3rd level degrees.

The only reason that degrees are expected for jobs which no degree is required to do said job is that so many people have them.
    There IS some truth in this ... employers sometimes look for degrees in jobs where they are not necessary simply because they presume that they will get better quality workers that way, or as a lazy way to screen applicants.

In fact, sometimes they end up with frustrated and over-qualified people who are bored silly and therefore less productive.

In many cases, an appropriate vocational course would be far more useful.

This is down to poor thinking on the part of those employers, however, rather than making any real or relevant comment on educational policy re: third level.
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Then again, I still think the most people possible going to college is optimal.
    I agree with you ... mostly.

However, I would argue that some people might do better following another route, but end up in college because their parents pushed them, or it was the high-status option, or the expected thing in their school / neighbourhood, or they thought it would guarantee them a well-paid job ... or a combination of several of these or other factors.

I would suggest that one thing we need to improve on is the quality of guidance youngsters get in choosing their options for further education / training after secondary school. Another is the quality of options available to them outside the third level system.
    YEAH... WELL... I'M RIGHT AND YOUR WRONG, SO THERE
    You're, perhaps?

(Sorry, but irresistible, tbh!)
    *Runs away screaming hysterically with covered ears*
    Bye now!!

/waves

Oh, yes ... my politically incorrect opinions?

Hmmm ... For one, I think a lot of people start talking / posting before engaging their brains. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

*searches for mega thanks button*

quite apart from the rest of your post, which was great and well thought out, I agree that an awful lot of people seem to post without thought and often simply for the sake of posting, simply to spew whatever comes to mind, as if to prove there's something there...

My own posting style would probably be the death of boards and human conversation but all too often in threads I see the exact same point come up again, and again, and again, with people either not reading or not understanding what they read and certainly not thinking before they post...

You were mixing up Roma gypsies and Romanian people. I corrected you.
    I'm not saying you're not allowed have an opinion, but if you have an opinion of something, at least know what it is you have the opinion of.

If I was giving out about how I hate horrible tasting yellow, crescent-shaped fruits and referred to them as apples, I'm sure you'd correct me and tell me I meant bananas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

NOBODY likes Romanians... where I live they beg just outside my estate on gracepark road and on Collins Avenue... They also called round begging on CHRISTMAS DAY last year???? I mean what the ****.... GET A JOB or piss off back to Romania

what a ****in retard. romani are not romanians in the sense that they don't see themselves as romanian, they are drifters originating from india. this is racist in itself but romanians hate to be asscociated with them. they as a people were also disgracefully treated during the holocaust, but nobody cares:( its their culture, annoying one but their culture all the same.

my most politically incorrect opinion is that i despise the uk, and wish somehow ireland could completely disconnect from british culture.

and another thing the way we(in all of western europe really) see poland as 'eastern europe' and use it as a put down even though in terms of geographical position they are in a million times better position than us here in ireland.

acontadino wrote: »
    what a ****in retard. romani are not romanians in the sense that they don't see themselves as romanian, they are drifters originating from india. this is racist in itself but romanians hate to be asscociated with them. they as a people were also disgracefully treated during the holocaust, but nobody cares:( its their culture, annoying one but their culture all the same.

my most politically incorrect opinion is that i despise the uk, and wish somehow ireland could completely disconnect from british culture.

and another thing the way we(in all of western europe really) see poland as 'eastern europe' and use it as a put down even though in terms of geographical position they are in a million times better position than us here in ireland.

O yeah, who wouldn't know that. And don't ever call me a ****ing retard again. You're lucky a mod hasn't spotted it.

And I didn't know romani where romanis... I thought they where Romanians.

And about Poland, they're also sort of in a better financial position also. Low wage economy and all that...

As regards the Polish thing, I don't see "Eastern Europe" as being an offensive term, although it's somewhat inaccurate as Poland isn't really that far east.
    I've never heard Eastern Europe used as a derogatory term, it's just a geographic term.
    acontadino wrote: »
    what a ****in retard.
    Infracted.
    And don't ever call me a ****ing retard again. You're lucky a mod hasn't spotted it.

In future, please report posts that you find offensive rather than addressing them on-thread.

An File wrote: »
    There's a difference between political incorrectness and outright racial bigotry...
    No there's not

No there's not

Look, I feel the same way as you, I don't beleive there is a difference between the two but the debate is sortof over so jus leave it

• Advertisement

by definition(my one BTW) politically correct means it offends nobody thus racial bigatry is right up the "incorrect alley" so feel free do whine and argue but remember this thread WAS/IS meant as an "all those thing you'd love to say but are to nice to" kind of deal

so.............what's the take on the whole stereo typing thing ?,personally it's all bollox imo myself for example am a culchee/nerd/jock so i don't really fit in anywhere but get on grand

Advertisement