Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAME in serious trouble

• 01-02-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-01-game-in-trouble-as-doubt-cast-on-ability-to-stock-new-games

They're being asked to pay up front for new stock now, something which is going to cause massive problems. At the very least their selection of new games is going to be massively curtailed with only those certain to sell being stocked.

I'm wondering if it's already happening as I was in GAME in Dundrum last week, looking for bother Saints Row the Third and Mortal Kombat - both very high profile games from the last few months - and they had neither. Outside of their "top 20 games", which was very light already they had very, very few new games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Damn... that's not good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gamestop then, GAME now...

bad news so far...

i love brick and mortar shops, but i am being a bit of hypocrite myself now.

ps vita on amazon has an awesome deal which makes ps vita + 8gb memory card + any game for 280eu.

gamestop price - 255eu for machine alone +45eu for game + 30eu for memory card.

i think i will go with amazon deal... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I walked around a GAME recently for the first time in ages and found it hard to spot the new games among the used games and other stuff like plushies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Game have been on a downward spiral for a while now. Look at the size of their shops in comparisson to 10 years ago. Theyre basically just pawn shops at this stage.

i go out of my way to not buy from game. their staff though have always been good at suggesting new games and giving me info, so for their sake alone i hope they can keep going.

And id prefer to give them my money before gamestop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

GAME haven't been on form for a very, very long time alas (although I've noticed a significant decline in HMV's quality too). While they can sometimes be relied on to get slightly more obscure, offbeat games their pricing, store layouts and selection are inconsistent to the extreme. Their prices for new releases are frequently five to fifteen euro higher than competitors, although their eventual discounts are often stronger than elsewhere.

I guess its eventual demise will be one further notch on the death knell of high street games retailing. It's a shame that the second-hand market has become the lifeblood of these stores - while their inability (or unwillingness) to keep up with online sales is one (HUGE) factor, I guess the gamers who allowed the model to develop are also responsible on some level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I normally buy in Game. Hope it doesn't go, always nice going into game on Dawson street to get a big game on release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

HMV, Gamestop in the UK, Game.
    This is god awful for high street competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I used to prefer buying games from shops, but a couple of well-placed Steam sales changed my mind pretty thoroughly.

It's kind of a shame that if the shops close there'll be lost jobs, but the only physical copies of games I've bought in years have been collector's editions. And then they all installed via Steam or similar anyway. Let them fall, see what pops up in their places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Natural selection at work, good riddance tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be fair, I always found Games pre-owned prices really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Sad news to be honest. I'm not interested in buying games online or having to spend hours downloading a digital copy. There are some of us that don't have broadband capable of handling this sort of thing and no real wish to have it either. Gaming seems to be moving to this horrible online crossbreed of multiplayer games which forget about the solo player, forcing people to go to websites for a manual for the game they just paid 50 quid for, half the game missing because they want you to pay for it as DLC, online passes....the list goes on.

I am a single player fan above all else (no interest at all in multiplayer). I like being able to go in to somewhere like game/gamestop and browse the titles available, eventually buying a physical copy of the game I want. I have no intention of replacing this process with any other, regardless of how much the gaming industry wants me to.

I've been a gamer for nearly 30 years now, but if it continues and gets to a point where if I'm not able to enjoy the hobby as I want, buy my games in a physical store, get decent Sp titles to play, or finding out that 60% of the game has to be paid for as extra content then gaming can go **** itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Sarky wrote: »
    Let them fall, see what pops up in their places.
    Seifer wrote: »

what the weather like up there on your high horses?

tis a shame to see any business close and whilst not a great customer I like their sales and deals over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Game will probably end up in bankruptcy, but I doubt this means the complete end of their bricks and mortar stores. Locations in the sticks will close, but profitable shops in major population centres will remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Sarky wrote: »
    I used to prefer buying games from shops, but a couple of well-placed Steam sales changed my mind pretty thoroughly.

It's kind of a shame that if the shops close there'll be lost jobs, but the only physical copies of games I've bought in years have been collector's editions. And then they all installed via Steam or similar anyway. Let them fall, see what pops up in their places.
    Seifer wrote: »

Look a little further than your own short-sighted outlook, to a future where all games have to be downloaded and there is nowhere, apart from Tesco to go and buy a game. I don't want that and after a while of that future, people like yourselves will be on this forum complaining that there is nowhere to browse games anymore.
    DarkJager wrote: »
    Sad news to be honest. I'm not interested in buying games online or having to spend hours downloading a digital copy. There are some of us that don't have broadband capable of handling this sort of thing and no real wish to have it either. Gaming seems to be moving to this horrible online crossbreed of multiplayer games which forget about the solo player, forcing people to go to websites for a manual for the game they just paid 50 quid for, half the game missing because they want you to pay for it as DLC, online passes....the list goes on.

I am a single player fan above all else (no interest at all in multiplayer). I like being able to go in to somewhere like game/gamestop and browse the titles available, eventually buying a physical copy of the game I want. I have no intention of replacing this process with any other, regardless of how much the gaming industry wants me to.

I've been a gamer for nearly 30 years now, but if it continues and gets to a point where if I'm not able to enjoy the hobby as I want, buy my games in a physical store, get decent Sp titles to play, or finding out that 60% of the game has to be paid for as extra content then gaming can go **** itself.

Well said. When I was a lad, there was a game shop in Cork that had a room at the back with C64s, Amstrads and Spectrum computers set up. You could pick a game off the shelf and set it up there (if you had an hour to wait for it to load from tape... :) ) and play it to see if you liked it. It's more of this we need, not everything moving to Amazon/Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They're decent if they're not for anything popular that's been released in the last six months, if they're anyway new then they're usually only €2 to €5 cheaper than buying them new. Only thing is, you can't buy them new - their second hand section is now so large I'd estimate it's 70% of their stock.

When I want to buy a game, I want to buy it. I've been looking to pay for both Mortal Kombat and Saints Row 3 on the Xbox new for a week now but I can't buy them new. The second hand price in €5 max cheaper than buying it new but I'd have to spend another €10 to €12 on an online pass so it works out more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Quite sad news. Pre owned prices really are very good, reward cards and all that/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I remember when Game came to Cork first and their 10 day return policy. You could buy a game and return it within 10 days for store credit or swap it for a new game! They even took returns of PC games back then! It was bloody great. Unfortunately, everyone abused it (I was one of the everyone...) and they pulled that policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I prefer brick and mortar stores myself, if only for the fact you have somewhere to go back to if there's a problem. Got a faulty (new) 3DS last year and gamestop replaced it on the spot. Had something similar happen to me with a new phone bought online in the UK, and it took weeks of emails to customer service and posting back and forth to sort it out. Paying a few extra quid to be safe in the knowledge that any issues (especially with hardware) can be easily rectified is worth it to me, and it'd be a real shame if that option were to disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I hate the way people slate game stores for their prices. There is nothing that can be done really when they have to make a profit to cover staff costs and rent. Of course online stores can do things cheaper as the running costs are practically non-existent compared to a bricks and mortar shops. Pay for the site and storage of products and a small number of staff.

It's always sad to see somewhere close as it leaves people on the dole, and has a negative knock-on affect in the area.

The best thing to do I find is wait for sales in shops, you can get stuff for dirt cheap new. Seen Battlefield 3 in Gamestop before christmas for €34 new. If I hadn't bought it when it was out I would have snapped it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Not good. If the likes of Gamestop, GAME and HMV shut i'd imagine other places would up their prices. As far as the Vita amazon deal goes is it me or does the Vita have damn all in the way of Launch bundles. I haven't a clue of any Brick n Mortar bundles anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Seems like they've been in sharp decline since 2008.
    Look at their share prices :
    GmCYu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

It's the way the world is going. Look at music. CD sales are pretty much dying out. I reckon most people under 25 have no concept of owning a cd anymore. Most of the indie record shops I bought from over the years have closed.
    The same will happen with games. These industries are having to adapt to the way technology is moving.

They want to move to online digital copy sales that give them more control over pricing and ultimately what the customer can do with their game/album/movie when they get it.

Personally, with the exception of music, I'm pretty much moving digital with everything due to space at home. And even reducing the cd purchasing as I've got too many (over 2000 at this stage).

Unfortunately these shops will go the way of the Candlestick maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

DarkJager wrote: »

i do agree with SP games point, but wtf it has to do with online distribution lol.

i love my local gamestop. i always can come over there and have a chat about games and newest stuff. if i really looking forward to some title i will always buy it in brick and mortar shop. i just dont trust those no good delivery fellas with my games and misses :D.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Pro's of online shopping.

Wider selection of games.
    Access to multipal online retailers from the comfort of your own.
    No pushy staff flogging pre-orders or game insurance.
    Access to internet allows you to instantly access info and review on games to aid with making a purchasing decision.
    Shop at any time.
    Instant access to new games without having to wait for the store to open in the morning. (Doesn't apply to consoles)
    Sales offers tend to be much better.

Pro's of bricks and mortors

Doesn't require fast internet.
    Second hand games. (Doesn't apply to PC market)
    Easier to have hardware problems resloved.
    Collectors/special editions include physical items.

Personally I use both, but more and more I have switched to getting my games online. I can personally live without retails stores.
    I can understand peoples dissapointed if they can't get fast internet but if they do have that option I don't see why they wouldn't want to shop for games online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

ghostchant wrote: »
    I prefer brick and mortar stores myself, if only for the fact you have somewhere to go back to if there's a problem. Got a faulty (new) 3DS last year and gamestop replaced it on the spot. Had something similar happen to me with a new phone bought online in the UK, and it took weeks of emails to customer service and posting back and forth to sort it out. Paying a few extra quid to be safe in the knowledge that any issues (especially with hardware) can be easily rectified is worth it to me, and it'd be a real shame if that option were to disappear.

I've had good experiences with the likes of Amazon and Play when returning faulty items. Popped them back in the post, and they were swifty replaced, the price of postage refunded.

On topic, it's a shame to think that staff in GAME may end up losing their jobs.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I seriously hope that shops don't eventually close. While i understand it's cheaper to buy games online, i much much prefer walking into a shop, deciding to get a game and going home and playing it. You can't do that with online shops (minus pc games, and that requires a wait anyway). For example, i went into GameStop Sunday and bought Lego Batman, Alpha Protocol and Tiger 10.

And returns, so much easier to deal with someone in a shop rather than with a "digital" person. Example: Bought a phone with meteor online on Dec 17th, never delivered, had to buy a physical copy in a shop and wait until Dec 29th for a refund for the online sale.

I don't think shops will forever be gone, but they can be done so much better. If i had/eventually have my own game shop, rather than having every copy of every game on the floor, I'd have 2 copies of each on display, and the rest in a store room. Less mess = less frustration and more control over stock. I'd also have large touch screens for customers to browse the stock, making it easier to find out if I have the game you want. or, just wall to wall interactive screens with screenshots of the titles and the ability to flip the box to read the back of it.

Shops need to learn how to control their costs in order to stay competitive. The current way shops are running just won't cut it anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

If i had/eventually have my own game shop, rather than having every copy of every game on the floor, I'd have 2 copies of each on display, and the rest in a store room. Less mess = less frustration and more control over stock. I'd also have large touch screens for customers to browse the stock, making it easier to find out if I have the game you want. or, just wall to wall interactive screens with screenshots of the titles and the ability to flip the box to read the back of it.

You've basically created an online shop that people have to walk into. I'm not sure that would work... You can provide all of that online and more. Without the need for the customer to leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

The makers of a game see none of the money made from the sale of pre-owned games. It was a detriment to the industry when it made its way into high-street stores.
    sweetie wrote: »

tis a shame to see any business close and whilst not a great customer I like their sales and deals over the years.
    Lol?
    Also why as a consumer should I feel emotionally attached to to every high-street chain? If they're not providing a service I can make use of then why should I care?
    Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Look a little further than your own short-sighted outlook, to a future where all games have to be downloaded and there is nowhere, apart from Tesco to go and buy a game. I don't want that and after a while of that future, people like yourselves will be on this forum complaining that there is nowhere to browse games anymore.
    Game hasn't had a decent PC selection in years so that has been the situation. And there is plenty of competition online with Steam, Play and Amazon to name but three.
    And what little selection Game had was over-priced compared to online retailers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's sad to see these high street stores closing but to be honest other than a few bargains I never buy in them anymore. It's not even that digital that is killing them, it's the online stores that sell boxed copies. They only stock the big games so it's near impossible to find stuff like Tactics Ogre for the PSP (requiring me to take a trip to the other end of dublin when the closest Gamestop didn't have it). I can find any game I want online. Also they just can't match the prices of online stores with many big games dropping to 15-20 euros in 6 months. You'll find the same game for 40-45 in a high street store.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

sweetie wrote: »
    It's pretty sweet; On a good day, you can see the bigger picture from here.

I'm sure you were just distraught when Sean Quinn filed for bankruptcy. Look, I'm not saying I have no sympathy for people who'll be out of a job because a game shop closes down. But that way of things is dying out because there are better ways emerging. I used to love physical shops, having a chat with staff and getting my hands on a solid box with a game inside. But now I have my own place with limited space for boxes, a nice fast broadband connection so downloading games isn't an issue, and I prefer the sales and deals I can get from something like Steam or Amazon, because they're better deals and sales.

It's an evolutionary transition of sorts. It's not going to be entirely pleasant for some. The SOPA thing in the US and to a lesser extent here is evidence enough that a lot of people don't want to let go of the old ways. But I think it has to happen.

Advertisement