Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Initial Lectures Vs. The Timetable.

Options
  • 19-09-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

So anyone doing Arts or any other subject know what the deal is?

I have initial lectures next week along with lectures... Do I go to everything?

Like e.g History initial lecture is on Monday or Wednesday. If I went to the Wednesday one I would already have been to a few History lectures already.

This is completely confusing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

I don't remember much of my first week in college (a whole year ago :P), but I know that I only went to one of each lecture in the first week. For example I went to the "initial lecture" of Economics, and after outlining the course for 20 minutes or so, they told us to go out and enjoy the sun and that we start lectures proper the following week.

It's basically an introductory week with one break in lecture of each subject, but they might not be so relaxed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ash:)

Im in the exact same position as you! Utterly confused! i dunno whether to go to everything or just to the initial lectures...:eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Initial Lectures FTW......

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

my guess is that we go to our initial lecture, and thereafter go to scheduled ones.
    it's all very mysterious, I've to pay the remainder of my reg fee (you can only pay 1500 at a time...f.m.l) so maybe that's why I haven't got any correspondance from ucc telling me what to do; my research thus far has been scouring the departmental websites and the ucc website looking for any clue as to where I'm meant to be, and whatnot..aargh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

with the history lectures you either went this morning at 9am or you can go tomorrow at 12 or whatever time its supposed to be on. on the ucc website there should be a list of initial lectures. i made the mistake of looking at my timetable this morning thinking i had politics at 11am only to find that the initial lecture isnt until wednesday and am now hanging around until english at 2 :rolleyes:

heres the link for the initial lectures schedule

http://www.ucc.ie/en/CollegesandDepartments/ArtsCelticStudiesandSocialSciences/InformationforFirstYearStudents/TimetableandInitialLectureSchedules/Initial%20Arts%201%20Lectures%202009%20(amended%2010%20Sept%202009).pdf

its a .pdf file

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

For 1st Arts, does anybody know If we have to go to the English lectures for the week? Are they all the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

Depends on the Subject. If you're doing History you've to go in Wednesday and Thursday.,. Or maybe it was Thursday and Friday. etc etc. The initial Lectures say it all.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 greenflame

I think English lectures actually begin on Monday the 28th. can someone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Skapoot wrote: »
    Depends on the Subject. If you're doing History you've to go in Wednesday and Thursday.,. Or maybe it was Thursday and Friday. etc etc. The initial Lectures say it all.;)

I thought we've only to go in on Wednesday. I thought that's what they said in yesterday morning's lecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I thought we've only to go in on Wednesday. I thought that's what they said in yesterday morning's lecture.

My friends said the Wednesday is the day for history.

Can't confirm it though as I don't do it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

English starts next Monday yeah, It's on the timetable in the English for First years booklet they gave us in the initial lecture. i.e. Monday tuesday wednesday and thursday of the week 21st september - it just says "initial lecture".

They said that Wednesday and Thursday were for History. One day for each of the Modules. The problem is, Im not sure what times we're supposed to go in at. Im presuming we follow the timetable - Wednesday at 9 am in Boole 4. But.. there is no lecture on Thursdays on the timetable. Hope we dont have to go in Friday morning..:pac:

I suppose they'll tell us on Wednesday. But can anyone else confirm that we've to be there at 9am? Boole 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 greenflame

From what I picked up @ the initial lecture, history for the 1st term is broken down with East & West on the Mon & Tues with the Modern Irish State on the Wed and Fri. Except for this 1st week its East and West on the Wed and The Modern Irish State on the Fri. Didn't hear anything about a lecture on Thurs.Not 100%.

Advertisement