Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shaving.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Cheers dude.

Looks like adjustable it is so, as I said earlier I'm not a fan of shaving, so there are times it's pretty thick.
    I'll possibly go for the long handle too, if it's closest to the size of modern razors.

Like so many other posters here I wasn't a fan of shaving prior to switching to a DE, now I find it a pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Cabaal wrote: »
    Like so many other posters here I wasn't a fan of shaving prior to switching to a DE, now I find it a pleasure

Hopefully :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Reid Quaint Puff

Well after lurking in this forum for many many months, I have also decided to switch to DE shaving.

I have just placed my order with Shaving.ie, so I am looking forward to delivery so that I can try it all out!

I hope Mrs flameboy appreciates my new found smoothness!

Just went to order the starter kit with the long handled progress, but item is currently unavailable :(
    Chris I think [aka shaving.ie :o], any ideas when you'll have it back in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Just went to order the starter kit with the long handled progress, but item is currently unavailable :(
    Back now :)

• Advertisement

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Back now :)

Good stuff.

I noticed a day or two ago the
    boards2010
    coupon code was giving a 5% discount, tonight it's not *cough* *cough* ;) :pac: ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just bought some stuff and forgot about the code!!

Still ordered on Tuesday night and it there when I got home today, as usual excellent service:)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Hi Chris, I'm new to this shaving lark, I've been using a beard trimmer for over 10yrs now! I've been thinking of buying the Merkur Futur Razor (its out of stock at present)

I suppose my suggestion/question is, and I'm sure someone else mentioned it already in this thread, are you going to put a "Add to Cart" button along with the "Remove Item" button in your wish list page? It would be very handy to be able to go to your wish list and just select the items you want to buy now and add them to your cart straight away and maybe a "Go to Checkout" or something like it.

What do you think?

sedohre wrote: »
    Hi Chris, I'm new to this shaving lark, I've been using a beard trimmer for over 10yrs now! I've been thinking of buying the Merkur Futur Razor (its out of stock at present)

I suppose my suggestion/question is, and I'm sure someone else mentioned it already in this thread, are you going to put a "Add to Cart" button along with the "Remove Item" button in your wish list page? It would be very handy to be able to go to your wish list and just select the items you want to buy now and add them to your cart straight away and maybe a "Go to Checkout" or something like it.

What do you think?

I know.. it would make alot of sense. Cabaal mentioned it before at the start of this thread but I could not get a simple fix to work at the time. I will be looking into it again in the future. Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

I went to order the The Basic Essentials Safety Razor Starter Kit with Muhle 89 but it is out of stock. Any idea when it will be back in? Is there anything else I would need to start out thats not in that pack?

• Advertisement

I went to order the The Basic Essentials Safety Razor Starter Kit with Muhle 89 but it is out of stock. Any idea when it will be back in? Is there anything else I would need to start out thats not in that pack?
    There is one left now. Otherwise there will be more arriving next week. The kit should cover all the bases. the main thing will be figuring out which blades you like most from the sample pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

There is one left now. Otherwise there will be more arriving next week. The kit should cover all the bases. the main thing will be figuring out which blades you like most from the sample pack.

Thanks just bought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

... I'm new to this shaving lark, I've been using a beard trimmer for over 10yrs now! I've been thinking of buying the Merkur Futur Razor (its out of stock at present) ...

For what it's worth. I bought a Futur about 4 years ago, and swapped to a Progress (regular size) late last year. IMHO, the Progress is much better. It is a lot less aggressive than the Futur. Being able to dial it back to a minimum setting makes shaving against the grain quite ok. Also, the smaller head makes it easier to shave under the nose and on certain areas of my neck.

Whatever choice you make, you'll enjoy DE shaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Merkur Futur is a nice razor, just not the most friendly razor to start safety razor shaving with.. it is also worth pointing out how heavy the Futur is, you more or less get tired using it, coming from the typical weight of a disposable.

---

Your ads are working Chris..

creepygoogle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Forget the Futur as a starter razor, it's too difficult to learn how to DE shave with it. Go for a Progress instead and set it to 1 to learn how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

MediaTank wrote: »
    Forget the Futur as a starter razor, it's too difficult to learn how to DE shave with it. Go for a Progress instead and set it to 1 to learn how to use it.

I have a futur and it is my first DE razor, i found it very easy to learn with. Leave it at 1 until you get used to it then you can adjust it up when you feel it's necessary/brave enough. The extra weight in it helped me remember to leave the razor do the work and not use too much pressure. Fantastic razor in my mind for beginners and over.

foinse wrote: »
    I have a futur and it is my first DE razor, i found it very easy to learn with. Leave it at 1 until you get used to it then you can adjust it up when you feel it's necessary/brave enough. The extra weight in it helped me remember to leave the razor do the work and not use too much pressure. Fantastic razor in my mind for beginners and over.

You'd be in the minority of guys that think it's good to start with :D Mind you my first DE was a Vision, now that was really difficult to use and my second was the Futur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Just received my order today, placed it on Wednesday night, Chris cheers for the free shaving brush holder :D

I see Dovo straight razors up on the site now. Just need a selection of strops and strop paste to compliment them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

MT ...Let us know how you get on with the straight razor. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I see Dovo straight razors up on the site now. Just need a selection of strops and strop paste to compliment them.
    Good man Chris. Obviously reacting to signs of interest in straight shaving in the main thread.

Michael G wrote: »
    Good man Chris. Obviously reacting to signs of interest in straight shaving in the main thread.
    Thanks.. Strangely they did arrive at a time when people have started to show enthusiasm for straights but to be honest Dovo has a long 6-9 month waiting list so these were actually ordered a good while ago to see if there would be interest.

Strops are due to go up soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Thanks.. Strangely they did arrive at a time when people have started to show enthusiasm for straights but to be honest Dovo has a long 6-9 month waiting list so these were actually ordered a good while ago to see if there would be interest.
    I hope it goes well for you anyway. It's unfortunate that I got interested a few months ago and paid a good deal more to a UK site than it might have cost with you. However I hope to continue to send some money your way for consumables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Looks very nice Chris http://www.shaving.ie/products/Dovo-Pearlex-Straight-Razor.html

I'l be investing in some proper hones fairly soon a 5k 8k and 12k.
    Hopefully Il be able to maintain my current one and and others I may get over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Very impressed with the service recieved from Shaving.ie, thanks Chris. I got the razor and brush stand also 50 feathers.

Anybody who has a problem with paying the pittance for your postage is a muppet! If anything my order was over packaged and for 1.99 recieved good as next day postage (ordered Sunday night and recieved Tuesday morning)

Will be leaving positive reviews on your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Just got some proraso aftershave lotion and a new tube of shaving cream, along with some fancy tobs shampoo.....(thought i'd treat myself) another great experience shopping with Chris....thanks mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Been thinking about switching to a safety razor for quite a while now as I shave every day (my dad used to use one and I always liked it as a child). Been looking at the starter kit for 80 euro on shaving.ie but I also would like to get a few other bits and pieces or mix and match so long story short - any voucher codes for the site coming up soon? :D

I've been looking at other websites but would prefer to buy from an Irish company than buy abroad, plus it's seems to be a very good site and has a loyal following on boards.

pawrick wrote: »
    any voucher codes for the site coming up soon? :D

There may be someting over the Easter break:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

cheers good thing I checked back here - thanks very much and will be placing an order tonight :)

Advertisement