Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

gutteruu wrote: »
    Try passing me on the inside of my van a few times and see how long you last. Blind spots everywhere. Far more dangerous to undertake.

It also forces the person who is doing nothing wrong to do something illegal.

Shouldnt be in the overtaking lane then should you?

If you can be passed on the left then you are doing it wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Shouldnt be in the overtaking lane then should you?

If you can be passed on the left then you are doing it wrong!

Your preaching to the choir here. BUT...what if I am waiting to pass CiniO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

...what if I am waiting to pass CiniO

Hope and pray you never meet Cinio on the road, he'll batter you to a pulp with reason and logic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Barrel

So to recap ... Undertaking a slow car seconds before the 2 lanes turn back into 1 lane is better / safer than tailgating ... Ok so Gotya (:confused:) (similar to saying stabbing someone is better than shooting someone even though both could kill someone)

What I find even more bizarre than the undertaking statement is the other people agreeing with it

I dont think were getting anywhere here just going around in circles so ...

As the dragons would say ... I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Notdream

ya, I am about to get one for my AUDI A6, can any guys give some tips on purchasing a medium-price (around USD100) dash camera?

I just googled this item http://www.szswill.com/car-camera-hd/dashboard-camera-d230.html, how do you think of this item?

By the way, what is "G-sensor" function? Is this feature important?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Try passing me on the inside of my van a few times and see how long you last. Blind spots everywhere. Far more dangerous to undertake.
    Does you van has no mirrors that you have blind spots everywhere?

And it's far more dangerous than what? tailgating?

It also forces the person who is doing nothing wrong to do something illegal.
    No one is forcing anyone to do anything.
    I said that out of two (tailgating vs undertaking) second option is safer and better.

Barrel wrote: »
    So to recap ... Undertaking a slow car seconds before the 2 lanes turn back into 1 lane is better / safer than tailgating ... Ok so Gotya (:confused:) (similar to saying stabbing someone is better than shooting someone even though both could kill someone)
    Yeah. That's actually quite good comparision.
    Both could kill, but it's less chance that you kill someone by stabbing than by shooting.
    However both should be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

CiniO wrote: »
    Does you van has no mirrors that you have blind spots everywhere?
    Clearly you've never driven a van. No matter how good the mirrors, there are blackspots. A good driver will take this into account when driving near one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Gosub wrote: »
    [...] No matter how good the mirrors, there are blackspots. [...]

Exactly. If you drive a car behind a van and gonna overtake it, let the driver know you're there. If you see van's mirrors - more than likely driver would see you (if he's not very busy on the phone). ;)

Gosub wrote: »
    Clearly you've never driven a van. No matter how good the mirrors, there are blackspots. A good driver will take this into account when driving near one.
    joujoujou wrote: »
    Exactly. If you drive a car behind a van and gonna overtake it, let the driver know you're there. If you see van's mirrors - more than likely driver would see you (if he's not very busy on the phone). ;)

Guys I don't know what you're on about.

Van's has side mirrors the same as cars. Even better because they are often bigger.
    You still can see through the side windows.

Only what you can't see when driving a van comparing to driving a car is through the rear side windows, but no one in his senses would turn head back at speed to look through them.

So vans have pretty much the same effective blindspots as cars.
    Unless you are overtaking with 5km/h speed difference or less, you won't be in anyones blindspot for more than a fraction of second, so I can't see any problem here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Van's has side mirrors the same as cars. Even better because they are often bigger.

Only what you can't see when driving a van comparing to driving a car is through the rear side windows, but no one in his senses would turn head back at speed to look through them.

Unless you are overtaking with 5km/h speed difference or less, you won't be in anyones blindspot for more than a fraction of second, so I can't see any problem here.

Really, you won't get it until you've driven anything bigger than a car. I've driven large camper vans, artics, rigid trucks and vans of all sizes. All with trailers. I currently drive a VW T4 Multivan with windows all round. The blindspots are still huge. I even have wally-spotters in my mirrors. It helps a bit, but there are still large blind areas.

Cars sitting on your 'shoulder' on a dual carriageway are often invisible. Most car drivers aren't even aware of another vehicle's blindspot. I've always thought we would produce better drivers if part of our learning was to drive larger vehicles. We should all know the limitations of all vehicles around us on the roads. The only way this can happen is to have experience of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Unless you drive a van, you just won't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Yep I drove a van for a while and there is a major difference in blind spots to a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Dingatron wrote: »
    Two red light breakers from the other day within minutes of each other.

try 3... at the same light

new camera, worse quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

rocky wrote: »
    new camera, worse quality...
    But on the bright side it facilitates time travel. :pac:

I drive vans quite seldom, but I drive 50 seater coach on daily basis, and rigid trucks from time to time.

And I still don't find a blind spots on those vehicles to be any problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just watching crime call. Seems that a lot of our Garda cars now have dash cams too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

kceire wrote: »
    Just watching crime call. Seems that a lot of our Garda cars now have dash cams too.

Just watching it myself, they don't appear to be decent quality ones though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Just watching it myself, they don't appear to be decent quality ones though

Not sure if it applies to the Gardai, but in conversation with the Coast Guard helicopter crew I was told they drop the resolution when they supply to broadcast agencies. No idea why and I can't confirm that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

hey drop the resolution when they supply to broadcast agencies. No idea why and I can't confirm that for sure.

To obscure things they dont want us to see?

RE: Garda cars. I honestly think those 2.0 Mondeos' are effing pathetic. They cant keep up with anything.. I'd rather they sold them off and bought second hand Evo's or something, at least they would then have a chance against that gang that steal high performance cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

bear1 wrote: »
    at least they would then have a chance against that gang that steal high performance cars
    The Gardai do not condone or promote the pursuing of vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Unfortunately Mugs I believe you are right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

MugMugs wrote: »

They did a few years ago anyway...

Thankfully my bike was faster than anything they tried to keep up with me in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

KamiKazi wrote: »
    They did a few years ago anyway...

Thankfully my bike was faster than anything they tried to keep up with me in :)
    Did they? Any reference to that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Tallon wrote: »
    Did they? Any reference to that?

Yep, a couple of times personally and I know other lads on bikes who have also been chased.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd imagine there's a bit of a difference between the ranks of Gardai telling Gardai to pursue vehicles and individual Gardai making calls in situations to give chase.

Initial point however was that vehicles are generally not purchased for their chasing capabilities.

Those Forresters they used to have were sh1t quick though :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

MugMugs wrote: »

It fits in well with their "stay out of trouble and buy breakfast rolls instead" policy.
    They couldn't catch a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Going through my dashcam footage from today. Saw a big white Audi with a couple of lads complete with chav baseball caps stopped in Baldoyle at about 4PM with 2 Gardai chatting to them. The Gardai were driving an unmarked Dark Blue Toyota Yaris complete with concealed flashing strobes !!

The footage isn't that great but might post it anyway when I get a chance.

Those budget cuts are really kicking in eh ?!

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Seen a lad one time getting arrested and put in the back of a Punto Squad car

And when I say in the back, it was a three door and they were folding down the seats

One of the funniest things I ever saw :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

bear1 wrote: »
    To obscure things they dont want us to see?

RE: Garda cars. I honestly think those 2.0 Mondeos' are effing pathetic. They cant keep up with anything.. I'd rather they sold them off and bought second hand Evo's or something, at least they would then have a chance against that gang that steal high performance cars

Funny enough they are usually referred to as one of the best patrol cars on the road at the minute, far better then the current Avensis they have now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement