Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Northampton v Ulster

155 Points 145
    16 Tries 15
    6 Matches 6
    1 Drop goals 0
    44 Scrums won 45
    7 Scrums lost 7
    44/51 (86%) % Scrums won 45/52 (87%)
    86 Lineouts won 79
    9 Lineouts lost 10
    86/95 (90%) % Lineouts won 79/89 (88%)
    416 Rucks won 442
    14 Rucks lost 22
    416/430 (97%) % Rucks won 442/464 (95%)
    593 Tackles 510
    39 Missed tackles 33
    593/632 (93%) % Tackles Made 510/543 (93%)
    77 Turnovers conceded 84
    712 Passes 749
    1965 Metres carried 1967
    533 Carries 587
    132 Kicks in play 126
    56 Defenders beaten 52
    30 Clean breaks 25
    42 Offloads 53
    5 Yellow cards 1
    0 Red cards 0
    9 Conversions 11
    18 Penalty goal 16
    If only stats told the whole story, it would mean a very close thing.

Additionally, in the 6 pool games,
    Ulster won the most turnovers,
    Made the most passes,
    Missed fewer tackles than anyone
    Fewest yellow cards, - 1
    Made the most ball carries,
    Johann Muller best lineout forward with 34...next best was Wood N'hampton with 25.
    Wannenberg best offloads with 10.
    Wannenberg 2nd in carries - 77 - behind SOB with 87
    Adam D'Arcy 5 clean breaks - best was 7
    6th best yards made,
    6th best defenders beaten,
    7th clean breaks,

Interesting but probably of little consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 borna7

See some rumours on Ulster forums that Carr may be signing for next season? Anyone heard anything about this? Also if it happens how good a signing would it be?

He's lightning quick. Can't be bad. Ulster need a bit more speed in the backs. Apart from Trimble and Spence and maybe 'D'Arcy, the rest aren't that fast. Gilroy is still only 19. Carr should have come to Ulster when Leinster lost interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Looking forward to the Northampton clash. Whilst they're a good side and have an admirable record at home I don't think they've been significantly tested. They're yet to play any of the Premiership big boys at home this season aside from Leicester who they encountered on the first day of the season and the Tigers had a very sluggish start to the season. Wasps, Sarries, even a resurgent Glos haven't visited Franklin Gardens yet. The only other side to visit there from the top half was Quins and they came away with a win. In the HEC they squeaked past Castres where John Lacey cost Castres the game denying them a couple of tries with bad decisions. They hardly inspired against Cardiff either with a 23-15 win.

I think they are beatable particularly with the likes of Botha, Ferris and Court putting it up to them up front. Lawes will only be returning from injury and may not have the impact that he has had previously this season. Northampton are somewhat one dimensional with Myler at 10. You should have nothing to fear from them. Get at their set piece and shut down Ashton and Foden and you're in business.

Here's hoping there are 3 Irish teams in Cardiff in May!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

GerM wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Northampton clash. Whilst they're a good side and have an admirable record at home I don't think they've been significantly tested. They're yet to play any of the Premiership big boys at home this season aside from Leicester who they encountered on the first day of the season and the Tigers had a very sluggish start to the season. Wasps, Sarries, even a resurgent Glos haven't visited Franklin Gardens yet. The only other side to visit there from the top half was Quins and they came away with a win. In the HEC they squeaked past Castres where John Lacey cost Castres the game denying them a couple of tries with bad decisions. They hardly inspired against Cardiff either with a 23-15 win.

I think they are beatable particularly with the likes of Botha, Ferris and Court putting it up to them up front. Lawes will only be returning from injury and may not have the impact that he has had previously this season. Northampton are somewhat one dimensional with Myler at 10. You should have nothing to fear from them. Get at their set piece and shut down Ashton and Foden and you're in business.

Going to be very tough, but if you asked Brian McLaughlin who he secretly wanted out of Biarritz Away, Perg away, Leinster away or Saints away, it would be Saints everytime Id imagine! (Even though he did say he fancied Leinster!:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

GerM wrote: »

That's a very good analysis of Northampton. The problem for me is that Ulster are only effective when they are one dimensional as well. They usually start most games throwing it around but haven't got the cutting edge to get away with it against decent teams and usually end up reverting to a direct game.

Northampton haven't lost to any team who've tried the direct game against them this season bar Leicester away.

Team to play the Ospreys on Sunday.
    Ulster have won two of their last three games against Ospreys, and have been victorious on two of their previous six visits to Liberty Stadium.

Ospreys have lost their last two games in the Magners League, but are unbeaten at home in any competition since Dragons visited Liberty Stadium in the Magners League on 30 October and won 21-16. Ulster have won their last three matches in all competitions since their 10-35 defeat at Munster in the Magners League on New Year's Day. This reversal represents the Ulstermen's only loss on the road in their last five trips.
    This Sunday's encounter sees 5th play 6th in the Magners League as Ospreys host Ulster at the Liberty Stadium. Ulster lie 2 points behind with a game in hand, leaving both teams well and truly in the mix for the play-offs.

The Ospreys come into the game on the back of three impressive wins against tough opposition. Their two previous matches saw them claim victories over Wasps and Cardiff in the LV Cup, but winning 3 from 4 games in that competition wasn’t enough to secure a semi-final spot. With the Ospreys also eliminated in the Heineken Cup group stages, their attention will be solely focussed on a top 4 position in the Magners League, starting with this week’s game against the Ulstermen.

When the two teams met earlier in the season it was Ulster who were victorious, edging a tense affair by 27 points to 26. Both teams held the lead on numerous occasions but tries from Darren Cave and Stephen Ferris, along with 17 points from Niall O’Connor were enough to see the Ulster claim the win against a star studded Ospreys team.

The return fixture promises to be just as enthralling, despite a number of players missing on both sides. The star studded Welsh outfit will have a host of players on international duty at the 6 Nations, including Shane Williams, Ryan Jones and James Hook. However, they are still able to call on the experience of Jerry Collins and Dan Biggar to provide leadership and direction. Ulster have the likes of Paddy Wallace, Andrew Trimble, Tom Court and Rory Best away with the Ireland squad but are bolstered by their South African contingent and can call on a number of promising youngsters.
    Referee:Neil Paterson (SRU, 30th League game)
    Assistant Referees: David Jones, Greg Morgan (both WRU).
    TMO:Huw Lewis (WRU).
    Live on S4/C

Ulster (15-9): Adam Darcy; Craig Gilroy, Nevin Spence, Ian Whitten, Simon Danielli; Ian Humphreys, Ruan Pienaar; (1-8): Bryan Young, Nigel Brady, Declan Fitzpatrick, Johann Muller (capt), Tim Barker, Chris Henry, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg.

Replacements: Andi Kyriacou, Jerry Cronin, Alan Whitten, Ryan Caldwell, TJ Anderson, Paul Marshall, Luke Marshall, David McIlwaine.

Botha is out with a dislocated elbow which required surgery to reattach a tendon. It'll be a while before he comes back if at all this season. Cave, Tuohy, Diack, Macklin, McCrea still out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

jacothelad wrote: »
    Botha is out with a dislocated elbow which required surgery to reattach a tendon. It'll be a while before he comes back if at all this season.

That will be a blow for Ulster, Rumours he wanted to head back to South Africa before Christmas, did anything come from that? Hopefully not the last time hes played for Ulster.

David900 wrote: »
    That will be a blow for Ulster, Rumours he wanted to head back to South Africa before Christmas, did anything come from that? Hopefully not the last time hes played for Ulster.

There was talk last year that he would be released if Ulster didn't get to the last 8 of the ERC so he could get in contention for the RWC. His contract runs to June I think when it looks like he's heading home to SA to possibly sign for the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Im not 100% sure but I read he could be back from for the HEC match. Dont quote me on it tho.

I cold swear it was in Wed's Belfast Telegraph.

• Advertisement

Connacht did Ulster a favour tonight:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

So Ulster sign Stevenson from Harlequins and let go of Ryan Caldwell

http://www.union.quins.co.uk/rugby/1stXV.php?player=8357&includeref=dynamic
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9001.php

I'll be honest and say I don't know much about the man so I can't really rate him. It seems to be a straight replacement, Caldwell asked to be let go and Ulster head-hunted stevenson as a replacement.

Do you think its an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Don't know if it's an upgrade but Caldwell's time at Ulster was up IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

So where's Caldwell off to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

jolley123 wrote: »
    So where's Caldwell off to?

Bath afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

So Ulster sign Stevenson from Harlequins and let go of Ryan Caldwell

http://www.union.quins.co.uk/rugby/1stXV.php?player=8357&includeref=dynamic
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9001.php

I'll be honest and say I don't know much about the man so I can't really rate him. It seems to be a straight replacement, Caldwell asked to be let go and Ulster head-hunted stevenson as a replacement.

Do you think its an upgrade?

Stevenson is reliable, does the basics well and goes for the full game. Caldwell has more talent but is half cracked and can either be man of the match or give away 5 penalties. For what Ulster want him for i.e 3rd/4th choice lock Stevenson is the better man.

So Bath are replacing one lunatic (Grewcock) with another :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stevenson is reliable, does the basics well and goes for the full game. Caldwell has more talent but is half cracked and can either be man of the match or give away 5 penalties. For what Ulster want him for i.e 3rd/4th choice lock Stevenson is the better man.

So Bath are replacing one lunatic (Grewcock) with another :pac:

Bath are bringing in Dave Attwood too from Gloucester. Attwood and Caldwell will certainly be a hotheaded second row pairing!

Scarlets: 15. Dan Evans 14. Gareth Maule 13. Regan King 12. Scott Williams 11. Sean Lamont 10. Rhys Priestland 9. Martin Roberts 1. Iestyn Thomas 2. Emyr Phillips 3. Rhys M. Thomas 4. Vernon Cooper 5. Lou Reed 6. Rob McCusker 7. Josh Turnbull 8. Ben Morgan
    Replacements: 16. Rhys Lawrence 17. Rhodri Jones 18. Simon Gardiner 19. Jonny Fa'amatuainu 20. Johnathan Edwards 21. Tavis Knoyle 22. Dan Newton 23. Joe Ajuwa Ulster Rugby: 15. Adam D'Arcy 14. Andrew Trimble 13. Nevin Spence 12. Paddy Wallace 11. Craig Gilroy 10. Paddy Jackson 9. Ruan Pienaar 1. Tom Court 2. Andy Kyriacou 3. Declan Fitzpatrick 4. Johann Muller 5. Tim Barker 6. TJ Anderson 7. Chris Henry 8. Pedrie Wannenburg
    Replacements: 16. Nigel Brady 17. Jerry Cronin 18. Bryan Young 19. Ryan Caldwell 20. Robbie Diack 21. Paul Marshall 22. Luke Marshall 23. Simon Danielli

As the game is getting underway I figured that I'd post the lineups. This is a real must win match if Ulster are to reach the playoffs. I really want to see how Jackson gets on in his first start.

Ulster 3 Scarlets 0
    Piernaar seems to be taking some pressure off Jackson, he took the kickoff and the penalty. The pressure of these duties can make things difficult for a young out-half so it makes sense for Pienaar to do these duties.

Ulster 6 Scarlets 0
    A Pienaar penalty from a scrum won by Fitzpatrick.

• Advertisement

Ulster 6 Scarlets 6

Two penalties. Evened up by Priestland

Ulster pack coughed up a penalty try

13-6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Penalty try for Scarlets.

Pienaar penalty Scarlets 13 Ulster 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

From an Irish point of view; Wallace and Court haven't been good so far. Trimble very quiet but running some good support lines.

Nice drop goal from Priestland!

Scarlets 16 Ulster 9

16-15 now too the Scarlets. All from RP.

Ulster too win from here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Wallace is having a dreadful game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ulster blew that great chance. Terrible throw back to Pienaar.

• Advertisement

would you believe that Ulster loses by 1 point in wales two weeks in a row

Ulster are being forced to go for a long penalty to win it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement