Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leap card - is it just a fare card?

• 28-11-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

As you don't tag on at the start and tag off at the end of your journey, is the Leap card really just a fare card?

I had notions that it if your journey required 2 or more buses that you would be billed for one journey, but it appears you will still be billed for 2 or more?

If I want to travel 6 stages using two separate buses I still have to pay €1.20 x 2 instead of €1.65?

Is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

Right now it's a cash carrying card and no more. It's exactly the same (for DB customers) as cash.

In the near future, it will offer rebates on the second leg of any journey (at least on the same operator, not sure about transfers), apply daily and weekly caps (depending on the operator) and will be able to hold daily, weekly, etc tickets for various operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

markpb wrote: »
    Right now it's a cash carrying card and no more. It's exactly the same (for DB customers) as cash.

In the near future, it will offer rebates on the second leg of any journey (at least on the same operator, not sure about transfers), apply daily and weekly caps (depending on the operator) and will be able to hold daily, weekly, etc tickets for various operators.

To be honest I blame the NTA for not explaining this in very simple terms.

Instead we end up with yet another leap thread just reinventing the wheel.

OP - the whole thing is phased. Right now it is a cash card. Later it will have rebates for single and multi-mode journeys that involve multiple trips. It will also incorporate fare capping, and will be able to atore period passes. Depending on what happens in January with fare increases - it *may* incorporate discounts on cash bus fares.

All of this will be phased in. Right now it is a simple epurse.

lxflyer wrote: »

I guess part of the problem is that it's officially still in pilot. Only people who were given test cards (and accompanying documentation which isn't bad) should have cards.

Personally I think they should have converted existing DB and Dart periodic tickets to Leap first and then added ePurse later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

As there is no plans for a tag-off facility, it's never going to be able to cater for the multi-bus journey example I gave?

The re-inventing the wheel bit: it's very hard to find information on official websites about what the Leap card will do.

n97 mini wrote: »
    As there is no plans for a tag-off facility, it's never going to be able to cater for the multi-bus journey example I gave?

They could do the same as the Travel 90 ticket - any tag on within 90 minutes of a previous tag on is treated as the same journey and is a candidate for rebate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

n97 mini wrote: »

The re-inventing the wheel bit: it's very hard to find information on official websites about what the Leap card will do.

I would not be so sure of that.

It's quite possible in the future that if you tag on two buses within a specified time frame that you may get a rebate on the two individual fares, similar to the Travel 90 ticket.

We are all going to just have to wait and see.

At the moment the most information available about future plans is on www.transportforireland.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I blame DB and the DOT for not fixing the very broken fare stage system years ago.

I blame DB for making the fare stage system much harder then it needs to be, by hiding all info from stops, etc.

I blame the DOT for not smashing the heads of DB, IR and BE together years ago to make a zonal/capped system work.

All of this should have been sorted years ago, long before Leap was introduced.

I see the same mistakes being made with Leap, that are made by many government IT products.

They seem to think that by adding some technology, it will magically fix a broken manual process, it never does.

You most always fix the manual process first (which often involves big political figths), only when the manual process is fixed, do you add technology to speed up and automate the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Maybe this thread could become a Leap Q&A, and the other thread kept for feedback? I forsee a lot of these threads in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

markpb wrote: »
    They could do the same as the Travel 90 ticket - any tag on within 90 minutes of a previous tag on is treated as the same journey and is a candidate for rebate.

And just charge waaay more "for your convenience" !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1212/breaking41.html

the irishtimes claims today that the leap card has cost 55million to date

If im correct, it has take 9years and 55million to develope a card that is used in almost all major metropolitan cities....................

please say im wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Travel 90 tickets would be on the leap card next year.

There is a brochure for using the leap card on Dublin Bus here. This should address some of your problems as it shows some interesting facts.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/7934/Customer%20Dl%20Leap%20Card.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AshtownGuy

Well I'm off to stock up on my student 5 day cards now coz I reckon I'll be waiting another few years before Leap will offer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Nearly all the radio stations covered this yesterday. General disbelief that this is just a simple ePurse, and that you still have to pay for every leg of a journey individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

Local Spar has the Leap signs up on door but no cards yet. This roll out seems flawed. Who is supposed to be doing it ? They should have got someone in from the euro changeover. We even got the coins in advance to get used to them and notes were available from day one.

Not a good start. It is not going to encourage people to use them if they can't get them. I am on the northside, is the rest of the city any better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Local Spar has the Leap signs up on door but no cards yet. This roll out seems flawed. Who is supposed to be doing it ? They should have got someone in from the euro changeover. We even got the coins in advance to get used to them and notes were available from day one.

Not a good start. It is not going to encourage people to use them if they can't get them. I am on the northside, is the rest of the city any better ?

This is coming up so much that I think it needs a new thread. I already posted a list of friendly leapcard agents a few pages back but it got lost in the replies.

So here it is:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=75978666

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TobyH1985

It may be useful if they actually taught the bus drivers how to use them properly, for the short shopper fare nine times out of ten I have t0 explain to them what to do - ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

TobyH1985 wrote: »
    It may be useful if they actually taught the bus drivers how to use them properly, for the short shopper fare nine times out of ten I have t0 explain to them what to do - ridiculous!

Can't say I've had any problem.

I've noted that on the 83 route there seem to be buses that can't accept the card. Free trips for me.

Advertisement