Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reddit

• 06-01-2013 3:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

I just registered over with Reddit, but I cant make heads or tails of it! Too many thinks to click, links everywhere, no "user CP" like on Boards, this whole "points" ballsology. Will I ever get used to it atall atall!!!! Anyone else on it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Same with 4chan

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's like boards, but crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

On it like a car bonnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

The layout is complete ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Same with 4chan

That website freaks me out. I think there's an awful lot more things wrong with 4chan than just it's layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It lacks a sense of community and the layout is ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Reddit's alright. Now that you've registered you can decide which sub-reddits you want to view or not (you need to get rid of the religion and atheism ones right away, serious circlejerk). It has a big hive mentality though, I don't tend to comment on it.

I use it for the funny pictures, and the subsequent feeling of superiority when browsing YL/YL or 9gag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

jelly bra

am i doin it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Forget about the rest, boards is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

biko wrote: »

This makes the terrible assumption that boards isn't a festering pile of shit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Reddit's alright. Now that you've registered you can decide which sub-reddits you want to view or not (you need to get rid of the religion and atheism ones right away, serious circlejerk). It has a big hive mentality though, I don't tend to comment on it.

I use it for the funny pictures, and the subsequent feeling of superiority when browsing YL/YL or 9gag.

How do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

newmug wrote: »
    How do you do that?

Just click on the title of a subreddit, and it'll take you in to all posts submitted there. Then there should be an unsubscribe button over on the right.

There's also a reddit enhancement suite add-on for firefox and chrome that makes browsing a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Twitter is the one that gets me. It's so disjointed and weird.

It looks like it should be read by a fkin machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

This makes the terrible assumption that boards isn't a festering pile of shit

And yet here you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

biko wrote: »

But at least you can talk about
    kpmg girl
    over there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I just read Reddit, it feels too big to actually join up and start posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

orestes wrote: »
    And yet here you are.

And so are you.

And with nearly four times my post count I'm curious as to what makes you so determined to continue interacting with people on here.

Self flagellation or simply a lack of redeemable qualities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Reddit is, IMO, better than boards in some ways.

- you can stay on top of all trending stuff there
    - there are many good, well - modded forums there

and, they dont cower and run for cover when something like KPMG girl turns up.

OTOH
    most of reddit , 99% of it, is utter rubbish, imo.
    The 1% is valuable, but you need to work at it to find it. Google is easier.

OTOOH (On the other, other Hand)

Boards is better than reddit in some ways, too.

- When something like KPMG girl turns up, boards will take a civilised position on the issue. Reddit won't.

- Boards has many well -modded, helpful forums, with knowledgeable, committed contributors, on a wide variety of issues.

- Boards has much better layout, threads are soo much easier to follow.

and

- Boards makes a real contribution to the quality of many peoples lives...SSF is an obvious one, but there are threads in PI or TLL, and in other places, where it is clear that many people are helped, inspired, supported.

- Reddit & other sites do this also, I am sure, but boards , for me, is small enough that I feel a certain sense of belonging...which is nice.

-FoxT

To add to the above, the one thing that irks me most about Reddit is that it is (seemingly) populated by largely American users. Generally not a bad thing, but there is that over whelming "Support the troops" attitude when anything remotely related to the US military pops up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you think Boards is bad, don't google lemon party - it makes boards look good!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

the_syco wrote: »
    If you think Boards is bad, don't google lemon party - it makes boards look good!

I like lemons and I like parties. What could possibly go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I like lemons and I like parties. What could possibly go wrong?

OH MY GOD, THE HUMANITY!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Holsten wrote: »
    I just read Reddit,.

You just read it, as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sky King wrote: »
    You just read it, as it were.

You should change your first name to Wan.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Reddit is ok, it's a little easier to keep on top of than AH since you can track where new posts and comments are, and the karma system means bollocks posts sometimes get hidden.

Actually, I found it pretty much unusable until I installed Reddit Enhancement Suite - its a browser plugin that makes the site about 1000% more usable.

r/ireland is ok, it has some pretty bad reddiquette on it (you're supposed to upvote good-quality content even if you disagree with it, but people just end up upvoting and downvoting stuff based on if they agree).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

People who complain about the layout, use it for more than a bloody week and you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Would it not be better to take up drugs? Also a good way to waste time but you might end up with some interesting life experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

Love it, use it a lot . Lots of variety, last year alone it had over 37 billion page views with 260 million comments so it's never boring.

The obsession with karma points gets old very fast though, but choose your sub reddits well and it's happy days.

Also the iPad app alien blue is excellent. Takes away the migraine for the eyes effect you get when using the desktop version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Reddit is brilliant, especially the atheism, wtf, TIL and IAMA sub reddits.

Advertisement