Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ISOFIX - Necessary or not???

Options
  • 17-01-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭

I was advised to get an Isofix for the car seat that came with our travel system. I went out to price them and the one which fit our car seat cost €140. Considering my baby will only get a few months wear out of the car seat and the follow on car we have for when the baby is older has a base fitted to it anyway is there any point in paying for an isofix for the earlier car seat?
    OH has fitted the car seat to the car securing it with just the seat belts and it seems very secure so I'm just a little confused about whether to invest in an isofix or not.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You will get about a year to 15 months out of the 1st car seat for an average sized child.
    (using the maxi cosi as an example)
    It is well worth getting the isofix base if it is a travel system as you just click the seat in and out when you are putting it on and off the buggy.
    It is hard to keep having to put the car seat back in the car using a seat belt and there is a way higher risk that it will not be done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Is it possible that the isofix base for the first car seat will be suitable for the next car seat as well?
    We didn't get an isofix car seat for our first one, and it can be quite finnicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Moonbeam wrote: »
    You will get about a year to 15 months out of the 1st car seat for an average sized child.

Definately won't get 15 months out of the car seat I have that's why we have a bigger follow on car seat, 6 months max I would say is all we will get from the earlier one. If I would be able to get 15 months out of it getting an isofix would be a no brainer. I'm not working at the moment so I just don't know if paying €140 for something I'll use for a few months is justifiable but then I feel guilty even thinking that if it keeps my baby safe. All this baby equipment is so confusing...:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What car seat did you get?
    You know after 6 months you will need to get another rear facing similar one? to do him until he is old enough to go forward facing?

Lilliq - It depends on the manufacturer but yes there are some isofix basis that can take more then 1 seat.

What car seat did you get?
    You know after 6 months you will need to get another rear facing similar one?

It's part of the Britax Excel Travel System

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britax-Excel-Travel-System-Weave/dp/B000QA0E8M

• Advertisement

So birth to 12 months or 13kg (28lb)
    Unless your baby is exceptionally huge you will get more then 6 months out of it:)
    Only you know what will suit you.

Here are the crash test results with and with out the base - http://www.britax.co.uk/safety-centre/test-centres/test-results

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I got the isofix base and maxi cosi within a travel system. The base was arkward at first slot the seat in and out of. But has got easier with time. Also, i found it a useful base to have as I drive a 3 door car, so it has saved my back messing with seat belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Our son is 1 next week and he's still in his maxi cosi seat. We also thought he'd outgrow it long time before his first birthday but their rate of growth seems to slow a lot after 9 months. We could get another couple of months out of ours before we need to change it.

Also, if you're going to spend money on one thing then spend it on getting the correct and safest seat for your car. You can save money on lots of other things but the car seat should be your most important investment.

So birth to 12 months or 13kg (28lb)
    Unless your baby is exceptionally huge you will get more then 6 months out of it:)
    Only you know what will suit you.

Here are the crash test results with and with out the base - http://www.britax.co.uk/safety-centre/test-centres/test-results

Do you know I never even checked the weight, I was going on sight.
    If I get a year out of it then it would be definately worth the investment, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'd definitely say get the Isofix if you can. We've moved onto the next stage seat and I so miss the old seat and base!

If you have the base you can bring the car seat into the house and get the baby all clipped into it and ready to go inside, then just go out to the car and literally 'drop' the car seat into the base, job done. If you don't have the base you'd then have to start seat-belting the car seat in then or wait and put the baby into the car when you get outside. Its also easier on the back I think not to be bending around the seat trying to do the seatbelt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I was gobsmacked by the isofix prices when I first went shopping, but now, after my wee man got 13 months+ out of it, it seems like a better investment. When baba nua arrives in May, I hope s/he gets as long out of it! It was so handy to just click and go with the baby carrier when they are that small.

The next one up I bought is belted into the car, but because my wee man is now a very mobile toddler, it's the child you end up moving, not the seat.

I think isofixes are getting the thumbs up, off out to Halfords tomorrow to get me one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cicilulu

I had a maxi cosi with a familyfix isofix base. My boy has just graduated to the next size. We found our isofix awkward. It was very difficult to click open and it usually took three hands / both parents to do the required maneuvre. Having said that, for safety reasons I'd always use an isofix. Except next time I'd research what to buy a bit better. One good thing is that you can angle the seat different degrees to allow for snoozing.

Thanks for that info.

I have the older isofix base,it is really easy to install and click the seat in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

The big advantage of the Isofix is reliability of correctly attaching the car seat. As the safety reviews keep pointing out, it doesn't matter how safe your car seat is if it isn't strapped in correctly every single time. Isofix massively reduces the risk of error.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Do you know I never even checked the weight, I was going on sight.
    !

It's so important to always go by weight when choosing a car seat. Age isn't accurate and is only ever given as a guide.

I don't have an isofix car unfortunately but would definitely get it if I did. They seem to be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We have a 00 ford focus so we could only use the maxi cosi and we have the easifix base which you can take out of the car. The down sude is its only for the 0 size and the familly fix base wasnt compatible with our car. Tony Kealys said, if I remember correctly, that we couldn't have the isofix retro fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I don't have an isofix...we have a mamas and papas seat and there's a base that we got that the bottom of the belt goes into and stays there all the time. So the seat clicks into the base and then you just slip the seat belt round the back of the seat. Might be with enquiring if your make of chair have the same thing?

If I didn't have that I don't think I'd spend money on an isofix. Only cars made after a certain year 2005 I think, can take them anyhow and I don't believe all children driving around in older cars are at any greater risk.

I don't have an isofix...we have a mamas and papas seat and there's a base that we got that the bottom of the belt goes into and stays there all the time. So the seat clicks into the base and then you just slip the seat belt round the back of the seat. Might be with enquiring if your make of chair have the same thing?

If I didn't have that I don't think I'd spend money on an isofix. Only cars made after a certain year 2005 I think, can take them anyhow and I don't believe all children driving around in older cars are at any greater risk.

There's no base as such on the car seat but the handle can be brought round to make a platform for the car seat to sit on.
    When my other half tried it in the car it did seem secure that's why I was in two minds whether to get the isofix or not???

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Our car is 2003 and has Isofix.

• Advertisement

There's no base as such on the car seat but the handle can be brought round to make a platform for the car seat to sit on.
    When my other half tried it in the car it did seem secure that's why I was in two minds whether to get the isofix or not???

It's completely up to you. There's no immediate rush is there? You could try it without the isofix if you really are in two minds, see how safe you find it with your little one in it and if you'd rather the extra security get the isofix?

Looks like the descision has been made for me. Spent today going around Halfords, Mothercare, Eurocycle/Eurobaby & Tony Kealys and all have said that they don't have an isofix that is compatable with my car seat.
    Thanks for everyone's imput :)

If you still want a base type system that you can click the seat in and out of, I found this on the britax website.

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/car-seats/baby-safe-belted-base

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Girls girls girls, I have never heard of this isofix....????
    I have an 11yr old, and I'm expecting my 2nd...
    How do I find out if my car has this??

silly wrote: »

Best thing to do is bring the car seat in to somewhere like Halfords or Mothercare and they can advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I could be wrong entirely, but I think most car's that have it have it a tag somewhere on the seat (I have a Renault Scenic and there's a little 'Isofix' tag on each seat where it is present). Failing that you could check the hand book that came with the car or google your make/model/year of car.

Just as an alternative for those that don't have the option of Isofix in their car, I got a Graco seat base same as this........

http://www.hugzbabystore.ie/graco-junior-baby-car-seat-base--black/p-0028pd.html

As you can see it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Isofix, but most importantly it serves a similar purpose to the Isofix in that you can click the car seat on and off the base.
    The base remains fitted constantly into the car.

I had a car seat you belt in each time when dd was born and sweet mother of divine my back was ruined leaning over belting it in each time :(.

Any of easy click bases such as the Graco or Isofix are worth their weight in gold for how much they save your back and how much easier they make it to get the car seat in and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Go into the back of your car and stick your hand down the back of the seat... feel for the anchor points, you'll know when you find them.

FamilyFix_Installation_large._V169631414_.jpg

Best thing to do is bring the car seat in to somewhere like Halfords or Mothercare and they can advise you.

Sorry I just coped you were asking about the car not car seat!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Is it easy to move the isofix from car to car ?

Advertisement