Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SPOILERS: We're Alive Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Yeah I've really been trying to stay engaged with this but... meh. I'm afraid we've seen the best of it. It just seems all over the place now - like they have some convoluted ending that they have to sprint and stretch the story to get to. Something just doesn't feel right. It all feels very forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I am interviewing Jenna McCombie later tonight for our TV and Film podcast Is It A Bicycle?, any of you have any questions you would like me to ask her?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It's a new day

Bugger it is not. Nothing to see here folks, come back next Monday instead. :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Was anyone else waiting for #2 to come back to action on the table?

Odd about the living sleeping breathing ****ting zombies. When did that happen? Wonder are they trying to go from undead horde to sick but treatable humans?

What did Kimmet mean when he said something about losing another base to the zombies? Can't recall what his backstory was. Are we just talking about in general, or was there another base over run?

Why exactly is Riley on her "mad pills"? It seems she's supposed to have an alcohol problem, didn't realise they had a pill for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

MarkR wrote: »
    Odd about the living sleeping breathing ****ting zombies. When did that happen? Wonder are they trying to go from undead horde to sick but treatable humans?

If they go that way, we seem to have a lot of mass murderers that we listen to each week :)

Birds flying high

You know how I feel

Sun in the sky

You know how I feel

Breeze driftin' on by

You know how I feel

It's a new dawn

It's a new day

Well Boulder is most likely screwed. Curious the Z's went after the power and comms first. That does not bode well - tactically intelligent zombies or at least someone commanding them that is smart.

Awwww damn.... more Datu. Thought maybe he was dead already. While he annoys me l guess its good to hear from someone from the original group.

So - only 1z got in to where Datu and Hope, who apparently had recent surgery to fix her blindness, were hiding somehow? And a pickax to the neck killed it in 1 shot? Odd.

"...like the soldier version of them." and there you have it - a zombie army has been raised and it's soldiers are taking out Boulder. So the question is - who did this?

And the other question - do zombies remember nuclear missile codes? I think we may just find out.

Still - not great. Just don't care for the format/story-feel change much.

So heavy duty weaponry cannot make a dent in the skin of the creatures, as said by the new soldier, but Datu with a pickaxe can kill one with one hit?

And the creatures are smart enough to know to target power and communications yet are still dumb enough to come charging in blindly towards a person carrying a weapon?

We were told that only one creature escaped the chopper that went down, and that creature, which was one of the soldiers who changed, headed towards Boulder, but now we have hundreds and hundreds of super creatures attacking Boulder. Surely one recently turned creature could not have created an army that quickly, and if there was a huge number of them marching on Boulder then surely the helicopter that crashed should have spotted them before crashing as it was flying from LA to Boulder.

And if all these super creatures are coming from LA, and now are living breathing creatures rather than the undead ( funny how dead humans who reanimate can be living and breathing with the same basic weaknesses as when they were alive but hey), where have all the other types of creture gone?

The series well and truly jumped the shark this season and it might be for the best if both Boulder and Fort Irwin get nuked and the radiation then fries LA.

And speaking of LA, these new super creatures have come from LA but none of our LA survivors have been wiped out by them, and the only new creatures that Saul/Vic/CJ came across were the ones by the dock that they killed without heavy duty firearms.

I know part of the issue now is that the zeds are turning MUCH faster. It was mentioned that as soon as soldiers were killed by a zed that they were turned and killing their old fiends almost immediately now so that accounts for the rapid spread.

But otherwise.... meh.

• Advertisement

New

Day

Anyone got this yet? Checking the direct downloads section via their website like I usually do and don't see anything yet today...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I downloaded it straight onto my phone a couple of hours ago

Yeah I went another route and just found it. Direct downloads page isn't updated yet... about to listen.

Datu... *grits teeth* and Cpl Puck are my least favorite characters for sure.
    Oh that Datu is SUCH a bad driver. That is so funny...

Sounds like most of Boulder didn't make it out of the city.

Nice tip of the hat to Evil Dead - S-Mart. Very nice.

Robinson - chopper pilot that found the downed Blackhawk. Unsure what the whole conversation had to do w/ Michael other than a chance to get to mention Datu in the past tense.

And.... oh man. Sheesh. Saw the dude w/ a gun hijacking Datu before it happened but didn't think he'd get away from him. Datu can barely drive before and now he's flying around in the snow in a sports car?

"The blind leading the blind." That made me chuckle...

and... BOOM goes the dynamite, errr, nuke. Sure be a shame if Datu didn't make it... :p

Was expecting that they would at least try to make the 100th episode one that did not reek of filler, but they somehow managed to turn an episode in which a nuke goes off into a bit of a snorefest devoid of any real tension.

And given that they mention Kelly, Pegs and Lady the dog, we are probably going to get the storyline heading off on yet another tangent so that it can follow their "adventures"

So much for the battle at the Colony. That storyline has lost any sense of momentum it was gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Kess73 wrote: »

So much for the battle at the Colony...

Man, when they eventually get back to that I'm going to have to relisten just to get clued in again, it really is all over the shop this season.

I miss Angel too, not the same without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Out interview with Jenna McCombie from the Is It A Bicycle podcast, in case any of you are interested in hearing Scratch out of character!
    We featured it as part of our Zombie Week, grab it here

Another meh episode. Amazing that they can turn an episode that is meant to feature hundreds of the new super creatures attacking an army base into a snoozefest.

And how do they set up the initial assault on the base by the creatures? By having a bloody sat phone ring and the fact it is the phone in LA (the one Saul and co got from the dead solidiers) is meant to be a bigger cliffhanger than hundreds of creatures fighting against an army with tanks, copters etc.

If they decide to skip much of the army base fight in favour of a phone call..... actually that would be about par for the course this season.

And Datu/Hope in the car. In the previous episode they were out of their car and sheltering in the building as the nuke went off. This episode saw them and their car driving along merrily with no mention at all to the fact a nuke just went off some 10km or so away.

And two weeks again to the next episode. Just did a count this morning and that is the 11th time this season that there has been a two or more week break between episodes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Kess73 wrote: »
    And two weeks again to the next episode. Just did a count this morning and that is the 11th time this season that there has been a two or more week break between episodes.
    Have you never noticed the pattern? Each chapter is divided into three episodes, and after each chapter there is a two-week break. I’m pretty sure it has been that way since the beginning. There is no episode this week, because last week’s episode was part 3 of chapter 34. Similarly, there was no episode on the 24th September because part 3 of chapter 33 was on the 17th.

A few times they’ve skipped a week because of thanksgiving or live recordings, but generally it sticks to three weeks on, one week off pattern.

• Advertisement

Scarinae wrote: »
    Have you never noticed the pattern? Each chapter is divided into three episodes, and after each chapter there is a two-week break. I’m pretty sure it has been that way since the beginning. There is no episode this week, because last week’s episode was part 3 of chapter 34. Similarly, there was no episode on the 24th September because part 3 of chapter 33 was on the 17th.

A few times they’ve skipped a week because of thanksgiving or live recordings, but generally it sticks to three weeks on, one week off pattern.

Maybe it just feels like a lot this season due to the episodes generally being poor and production values seeming like the are of a lower standard than earlier seasons.

Never actually noticed the pattern becuase I only started listening towards the end of season 1, so I was playing catch up for a bit and downloaded most of season 1 in a sitting.

New episode is up!

And we have Chapter 35 Chapter 1 - more notes as I listen to the episode.

• Back to Saul, Vic, CJ, plus Lizzie and company. Been so long I had to remember what was going on with them...
    • And Bixby - he finally has a name at least. Nice of them to do that. He seems to be helping out quite a lot.
    • Thankfully they have 1 person with some tactical know-how - otherwise this whole escapade may have ended very quickly. Huzzah for CJ!
    • And Burt is still alive? Wow... rather surprising. I had thought they had killed him off, but maybe Scratch just tortured the hell out of him... So maybe only Angel is dead?
    • Scratch vs CJ - LOVE Burt's lines from inside his room. Wow - the line about Scratch's brother was cooold. LOVE IT!
    • Seriously - CJ didn't bring any extra ammo? Just an extra gun... sheesh. Plot convenience theater...
    • And the blades come out.. but who did Scratch shoot? Saul.
    • Why did CJ have to say that awful line about "We win" - you knew exactly what was going to happen at that point.

Not the worst episode I guess though there was very little of the actual zombies again. Good to hear from Burt. Now it's Saul's turn to be hurt again I guess...

Burt was always alive. He was mentioned as being still alive a few times after the episode with him being tortured.

Looks like CJ is dead now as well. Knife person beats a trained sword person? Then again I guess they need to keep Scratch alive as the main human bad guy. I hope they don't do something stupid now like having Lizzie plead for Scratch to be kept alive. My preference would be to keep her in that corridor until CJ reanimated. Unless of course they are going to totally ignore the fact that dead bodies have come back as creatures already in the series (Tommy being the most obvious example of someone who was killed and who then came back as a creature.)

CJ not having extra ammo was strange given that she was anal in her planning, and her rushing into the hospital like she did was totally out of character as well. Every other time when she was in a high risk situation she was always using her head, but I guess they needed to kill someone off.

And Scratch was hiding in the hospital? In the last episode dealing with the Colony she was leading the Mallers to the armory to hold up.

Am also guessing that this is set justbefore what happened in Boulder and the creatures attack on the army base as in the last episode Michal and co were getting a message on the sat phone from LA. So unless it is the old guy, Glen, calling the base then it has to be the sat phone in the comms room atthe colony that sent the message.

Have a feeling that Michael, Datu, and a few from the base will nick a helicopter and head for LA and that CJ's reinforced tower will become the new base for them for next season. Although with the new super creatures being able to rip through steel with their hands (as shown by what they could do to the helicopter and the Humvee) then it is hard to see how a building could keep hundreds of super creatures out when those creatures get to LA.

Started We're Alive from the beginning today in honor of Halloween... Man - there are some really, REALLY great episodes early on. I'm through Chapter 3 right now.

Yeah there is a massive jump up in quality in seasons 1 and 2 compared to the current season. The difference really stands out when one listens to the older seasons.

The best thing about the earlier seasons is the fact they can be listened to more than once and still entertain and draw you in. Season three is hard enough to listen to once.

Was reading on the WA forums the other day that season four, if they get to make it, will probably be the final season.

New episode day - I think it's up already. Stiff competition after last night's Walking Dead!

...and its 31 minutes long!

And back to my running commentary while I listen to it.

1. Wow.... fairly brutal opening scene there. Saul is still alive as is CJ, for now anyway. Burt alive and kicking in his cell/room.
    2. Burt is seriously messed up... can't wait until Burt gets a hold of Scratch. Can't wait for her to die. I really can't...
    3. Saul learns Angel is dead.
    4. Good to hear Burt's story about what happened to him after the Tower fell.
    5. Lizzie and Saul reunion. blah blah blah
    6. Bixby and Gatekeeper took the armory - but they are both dead now. Probably killed by Scratch.
    7. And gooood-bye to CJ's leg, most likely.
    8. And here are Glen and Pete - barely!
    9. What did they find in Tar Dust's place that needed to go into the armory?
    10. Colony secured - for now.
    11. And a smart biter lurking outside the fence... followed Pete and Burt back. Markings on it's face - tattoo? Not the one in the suit - long hair and a big beard - and he brought LOTS of friends.

So - good beginning. Slow middle and the end ramped up.

• Advertisement

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    And back to my running commentary while I listen to it.

1. Wow.... fairly brutal opening scene there. Saul is still alive as is CJ, for now anyway. Burt alive and kicking in his cell/room.
    2. Burt is seriously messed up... can't wait until Burt gets a hold of Scratch. Can't wait for her to die. I really can't...
    3. Saul learns Angel is dead.
    4. Good to hear Burt's story about what happened to him after the Tower fell.
    5. Lizzie and Saul reunion. blah blah blah
    6. Bixby and Gatekeeper took the armory - but they are both dead now. Probably killed by Scratch.
    7. And gooood-bye to CJ's leg, most likely.
    8. And here are Glen and Pete - barely!
    9. What did they find in Tar Dust's place that needed to go into the armory?
    10. Colony secured - for now.
    11. And a smart biter lurking outside the fence... followed Pete and Burt back. Markings on it's face - tattoo? Not the one in the suit - long hair and a big beard - and he brought LOTS of friends.

So - good beginning. Slow middle and the end ramped up.

Am guessing that what they found in Tar Dust's place is some form of weapon that they will use as a last gasp game changer during the season finale.

"Oh no the creatures are just about to kill us all"

"Hang on, don't we have the super powerful Mc Guffin weapons that we found in Tar Dust's gaff?

"yeah. Release the McGuffin"

Join us next year for the new season of We're Alive.:D

Sounds like CJ's leg is a goner, but she has managed to sound remarkably well for someone who has had at least one major artery severed, and who had to have lost a hell of a lot of blood. Would have expected her to have been drifting in and out of consciousness and not still be trying to give orders 24 hours later.

And beardy creature. I wonder is he to be a second in command to Suit creature or just an end of level boss fight. The heavy stomps sounded a lot like a behemoth was on the way. Funny how the colony suddenly is a creature rich zone when in the past there were gun battles there and no army of creatures arrived. In fact I think that Victor commented in season two that the area never had an awful lot of creatures.

Burt killing Scratch? She has a list of folk that want to be the one that kills her at this point. Saw something a few weeks back on the We're Alive forum that suggested that Scratch will not be killed as it is her that is reading the journels and all we are hearing is the past being remembered. Not quite sure how that conclusion was reached but must try to sift through some of the older episodes to see if there are incidents of Scratch reading a journel to recount events. I know that some of the earlier events, like the arena rescue, turned out to be recounts of past events as one character or another was reading a journel.

Advertisement