Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone know good cheap mechanic in D15?

• 30-12-2008 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Looking to get a clutch changed in a 96 Toyota MR2 (NA). I already have the clutch itself.

If cost is going to be too high, I'll have to do it myself (have never changed one before but changed turbo, fitted chargecooler, changed oil etc in last MR2 - so, I can follow a guide on how to do it) - but problem there is that with a 2 year old and an 8 week old, it's very, very hard to get the time to do it :(

If anyone knows of a mechanic in or around D15 (will travel further if needed), let me know.

TIA
    Rob
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

There is one near Lidl on the Huntstown Road if that is of any use to you. Been to him a couple of time ... once with my a6 to get a coil changed and once with my micra to get the power steering fixed ... there was a leak in the system. He is fairly reasonable and does turn it around very quickly.

PM me for a number. I don't have the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

You have to drop out subframe to do that clutch, your better off dropping out the engine and doin the t belt at the same time, kill 2 birds with the one stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rwilson_ie

Getting worried I won't have tools to do it - I have 3 tonne trolley jack, axle stands and ramps. But no engine crane :(

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

Its a big enough job, and if your doin it on the ground outside in this weather your looking at around 2 days. And on a car that old you could be looking at rusted bolts etc, even more if its a uk import.

yeah, time is something I don't have :(

It's a Jap import (SW20 Spider :D) but was in UK for a few years - so, might have suffered from the salty roads :(.

I wanted to put in a 3vz-fe into it at some stage. So, could do engine swap, clutch and timing belt then. But don't have the money at the mo for that, so prob have to get clutch done asap.

Other thing was that if I was going for the 3vz-fe swap (would like the lighter 1mz-fe but more $$$), I'd ideally like the turbo box. All $$$ :(

Anyway, I've no money or time at the mo, so have to stop dreaming and figure some way to get clutch done.

Last MR2 was close to 400fwhp - so, have a bit of post-turbo-depression going down to 173fwhp and slipping clutch means I can't even see that :(

Ta for advice

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I wouldn't advise you to go at this OP, it's not up there with changing the oil. It's a different type of job and you'd want to have some experience with clutch work to take this on, otherwise you'll end up with a load of hardship...

yeah, I knew it was a big enough job but apart from oil changes, I had changed my turbo before, fitted a ST205 Chargecooler and even removed the head of my 3S-GTE.

I never like to back down from a mechanical challenge :) - so, I'd like to think that I could eventually do it - the problem is that I would eventually do it. Might end up taking me a full weekend, with learning mistakes etc Everyone has to start to learn somewhere ? .... but learning takes time ...

And need the car for work, so can't risk going over a weekend.

So, I'll probably have to take your advise and get someone to do it. Actually - just got a quote from the guy recommended above to do it for 300 labour - not too bad ?

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

rwilson_ie wrote: »
    yeah, I knew it was a big enough job but apart from oil changes, I had changed my turbo before, fitted a ST205 Chargecooler and even removed the head of my 3S-GTE.

I never like to back down from a mechanical challenge :) - so, I'd like to think that I could eventually do it - the problem is that I would eventually do it. Might end up taking me a full weekend, with learning mistakes etc Everyone has to start to learn somewhere ? .... but learning takes time ...

And need the car for work, so can't risk going over a weekend.

So, I'll probably have to take your advise and get someone to do it. Actually - just got a quote from the guy recommended above to do it for 300 labour - not too bad ?

Rob

300 quid I'd run with.

Advertisement