Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sinn Féin office pipe-bombed.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    dlofnep its pointless posting that news in this loyalist forum. They dont like reading stuff like that.

I know its a joke isn't it. Its so weird you can just see it in the posts on here the anti-Republican and Pro-Loyalist feeling.

Why? Is it fashionable now or something?

Another example is in the footabll forum, there is a thread about who would you rather win in the World Cup England or France. Now this question has been on 3 or 4 Irish forums I view and all the others have France as the higher choice......except here!!

So what if we want our neighbours to lose (It doesnt make me a bigot its just jeering the rivals, no harm) ask a Liverpool fan would he like Everton to win or a Man City fan if he would like Man Utd to win!

Thats what rivalry is but woah woah woah not on here, here its all Englands great / Irelands Crap....Republicans are scum / UVF Republicans are scum again!

Is it the equivalent of the music snob not liking a band cause there popular now! A moral snobbery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

dlofnep wrote: »
    You misunderstand the purpose of stormont. It's not to "stop muppets from killing each other". It's to devolve power at a more local level, so that power is more balanced between both communities - and not controlled solely from across the sea.

oh yeah sorry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Big Mouth wrote: »
    I know its a joke isn't it. Its so weird you can just see it in the posts on here the anti-Republican and Pro-Loyalist feeling.

Why? Is it fashionable now or something?

Thats what rivalry is but woah woah woah not on here, here its all Englands great / Irelands Crap....Republicans are scum / UVF Republicans are scum again!

Is it the equivalent of the music snob not liking a band cause there popular now! A moral snobbery?

Well just so you know where I stand, I can honestly say that I would consider the UVF to be total scum (just like the PIRA), and as regards your football analogy, I'm not sure anybodies saying that Ireland are crap, I think its a real shame they are not playing in the tournament as it would give the whole country a much needed shot in the arm during these dreary economic times.

'Italia 90' gave the whole place a boost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yeah, it only took you 5 posts to do it. Your first post was to question the legality of an Irish language street sign, rather than condemn a bomb-attack. I'm sure your intentions are noble :rolleyes:

Oh aye your so perfect.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

A Sinn Féin office in Down was pipe-bombed on Friday. It has been claimed by a local loyalist group, which have vandelised Irish language street signs over the past few months. This is clearly an attack on those who wish to move forward with devoution and the peace process.

The pipe bomb only partially exploded - but the Office itself is right next to an Oil heating business and near a school. Luckily, it didn't go off fully.

Clearly?

How do you know that?

• Advertisement

Clearly?

How do you know that?

I would also like to say that the republicans do that they do worse actually they go around derry spraying all these stupid things on peoples houses and everything, its so scary!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

owenc wrote: »
    I would also like to say that the republicans do that they do worse actually they go around derry spraying all these stupid things on peoples houses and everything, its so scary!!

What has that to do with a Sinn Féin office being pipe-bombed? Reported for being off-topic.

FlutterinBantam's post doesn't warrant a reply. If he wishes to believe that this was orchestrated by someone who has the peace-process in mind, then can save his ridiculous opinions for someone who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

How do you know 'clearly'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I will not repeat myself twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If we could all stop clearly behaving like six year olds... then I won't feel the need to ban any of you...

On-topic please, including those who think they're not six.

/mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Jaap

A Sinn Féin office in Down was pipe-bombed on Friday. It has been claimed by a local loyalist group, which have vandelised Irish language street signs over the past few months. This is clearly an attack on those who wish to move forward with devoution and the peace process.

I'm still awaiting the source of this information that a loyalist group was behind this pipe-bombing??? You got a link to an internet or newspaper article???
    You got a link to issues of Irish street signs being vandalised by this loyalist group as well???
    What is the name of this loyalist group???
    Can someone be reported on this forum for posting things which can not be backed up if no reliable sources can be provided???
    The pipe-bombing should be condemned whether it was committed by republicans or loyalists!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I havent been here on boards for too long but it is evident that if anyone supports SF in anything, the terrorist card gets played. Or as we see in this thread theres seems to be a vibe from certain posters that considering the past actions of IRA they so to say, reap what they sow. But of course this logic can never be used towards the British.
    For some of us, there is a significant difference between the past mis-deeds of physical force republicans and those of British or the Loyalists, and it is not that their acts were more reprehensible, it is that they claimed to represent us when they had no right nor mandate to do so. They would spew out nonsense about puppet governments and the like and repeatedly dismiss the unequivocal message from nationalists, North and South, that while the broadly share their ends, the comprehensively rejected their means.
    They persisted with the idea that the army council of the IRA were the lawful government of Ireland as well as dogmatically seeking to impose a very narrow ultra-nationalist notion of what constituted Irishness (I would suggest that this is the genesis of the bile occasionally directed by some republican apologists here to those who would have a different definition or sense of Irishness). Amusing, the simultaneously decried fascism! The single biggest factor contributing to Sinn Fein’s electoral success, under discussion on another thread, is that the desisted from such behaviour. Or at least convinced us that they have!
    MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Times have changed. Today Sinn Fein condemns all acts of violence and is 100% committed to the democratic process.
    But have they? I would certainly agree that I don’t think there is an immediate or even foreseeable prospect of republicans returning to conflict in any great numbers. But it is important to ask why. Is it because they are, as you say, 100% committed to democracy? But if that were the case they would surely have to concede that the many of the actions of the “volunteers” of yesteryear were morally wrong. The most certainly do not do that And by not doing so, they leave open the suspicion that they are still working to Danny Morrison’s sinister and cynical armelite/ballot box template of 30 years ago. They embrace democracy now because it benefits their cause. But if we get to a stage where it becomes evident to all that the current path will not lead to a united Ireland (as is believed by some republicans and presumably many unionists) then will they simply accept that? It is democracy now and always? Or just democracy when it delivers?
    Of course it is quite possible that their unwillingness to publically admit that they were wrong in the past is because it would risk fracturing their movement, something they seemed determined to avoid. And with time, the issue will diminish in importance. But until they do I would have to put their commitment to democracy at something less than 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I may not vote FF, but I agree with 'nearly' all of what you say above :eek: A well constructed post, and well thought out from your own ideological perspective, which probably runs parallel with my own very non-FF views, eg: non violent persuasion for NI to stay in the Union (if they wish)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

lugha wrote: »
    For some of us, there is a significant difference between the past mis-deeds of physical force republicans and those of British or the Loyalists, and it is not that their acts were more reprehensible, it is that they claimed to represent us when they had no right nor mandate to do so. They would (............)to avoid. And with time, the issue will diminish in importance. But until they do I would have to put their commitment to democracy at something less than 100%.

What you're missing, however, is that the impetous to use violence to acheive a 32 county Republic was from being in a sectarian statelet, with widespread institutionalised discrimination. Now those issues have been dealt with in an agreed manner, the fuel is taken away from the fire, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Nodin wrote: »
    What you're missing, however, is that the impetous to use violence to acheive a 32 county Republic was from being in a sectarian statelet, with widespread institutionalised discrimination. Now those issues have been dealt with in an agreed manner, the fuel is taken away from the fire, so to speak.
    My criticism is not that they used violence. In some cases, (e.g. defending Catholic communities) that could be justified. What can never be justified is presuming the right to speak for a people despite being repeatedly told, in free and fair elections (in the South at least), that you do not.

lugha wrote: »
    My criticism is not that they used violence. In some cases, (e.g. defending Catholic communities) that could be justified. What can never be justified is presuming the right to speak for a people despite being repeatedly told, in free and fair elections (in the South at least), that you do not.

ugh for god sake shut up about religion for once!! :mad:

Advertisement