Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda (Where to start?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you've played it many many times already than probably not. It's the exact same, just with some new gloss and 3D.

I'd played it many, many times, be that on N64, GC bonus disk, Wii, and now on my 3DS. So much work has been put into making the game be as great as possible without 'breaking' anything that it is definitely worth it IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd played it many, many times, be that on N64, GC bonus disk, Wii, and now on my 3DS. So much work has been put into making the game be as great as possible without 'breaking' anything that it is definitely worth it IMHO.

But short of the 3D effect, & some higher res textures, it's a straight port. It depends on how much you love Zelda games really, having the Master Quest on the same cart was a nice little surprise I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Wait, the Master Quest is on OoT 3D?

Banjo wrote: »
    Wait, the Master Quest is on OoT 3D?

Yep, when I cleared it I got a nice surprise. It unlocks for you once you clear the standard OoT game

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I suppose it depends how much you like the game and how much time you have.

I don't really have time to be playing through a game multiple times unless it's up there in my list of top games. OOT isn't.

Having already played through OOT on the n64, I could have given this one a miss.

It was enjoyable and all, but meh, give me something new please Nintendo.

• Advertisement

I think a lot depends on *when* you played it all the way through. For me it was about 14 years ago, so I'm getting alternating waves of nostalgia and surprise (can't believe how little of some of the dungeons after becoming Old Link that I remember!). If you played it in the last 5 years, you'd be better off with Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass or Skyward Sword - the same but different :)

Banjo wrote: »
    I think a lot depends on *when* you played it all the way through. For me it was about 14 years ago, so I'm getting alternating waves of nostalgia and surprise (can't believe how little of some of the dungeons after becoming Old Link that I remember!). If you played it in the last 5 years, you'd be better off with Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass or Skyward Sword - the same but different :)

Thats a good point. The last time I played it before buying it for the 3DS, was seven years ago as the gaming gods would have it. So to me, it was a nice way to relive the adventure. Had I played it a year or two ago, I don't think it'd warrant a rerun.

The item screen on the second display is a godsend, & the sharpened up textures & lighting are a nice improvement. But the core game is as it always was, there's nothing changed. It's still epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Last time I played it was 9 years ago when I was on bedrest through my pregnancy. I've never played master quest :o

I think I'll wait and see if I can pick it up second hand and go from there but I'd be reluctant to pay full whack for a game I already own (twice because I had the gamecube special edition although I never played the masterquest version).

ash23 wrote: »
    Last time I played it was 9 years ago when I was on bedrest through my pregnancy. I've never played master quest :o

I think I'll wait and see if I can pick it up second hand and go from there but I'd be reluctant to pay full whack for a game I already own (twice because I had the gamecube special edition although I never played the masterquest version).

You'll be lucky to find it at a reduced price, its a flagship title & that means it'll always be on the higher end of the price scale. You might get lucky though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I never played a Zelda game up until about a month ago.

Well, I did play the first game on the NES when I was about eight, and I didn't like it. I think it was because you were thrown straight into the game without a story, and not being told what to do. It put me off Zelda games for a while.

Then, a month ago, I played A Link to the Past on the SNES, wondering what the big hype is about Zelda. And now I know, it's a good game. I'm at
    the first dungeon in the dark world now. The bunny made me laugh at first

While working on that game, I came across Spirit Tracks for the NDS second hand, so bought it. Now that's a great game, so I'll make my way through that. Not very far in it though.
    I snook Zelda out of the castle.

Since I had a spare €40, I decided to buy Ocarina of Time for the 3DS. It is, by far, the greatest title I've played in a very long time. I am now addicted to it (Up until 4am playing it last night). I don't know what it is, as I'm not a major fan of adventure games (The only other adventure game I enjoyed was Tombi! on the PS1), but this game has me coming back for more.
    I just met the leader/king of the rock eating monsters. I'm on my way to Death Mountain.

I'll stick with those three games until I clear them. You can be sure I will buy more Zelda games in the future. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I never played a Zelda game up until about a month ago.

The guy in Ocarina of time is called a Goron :D Soon you will know all the names of everything!

I just started Ocarina of Time 3D yesterday, played for about 3 hours. First time playing in on 3DS, probably my 4th time playing it overall!

I understand about the first Zelda Game, tried to play it last year and its just not really playable. Second ones not great either.

Stick with them man, they are great! Apart from the first and second one I have played them all through, some more than once.

When I think about how many hours of my life that adds up to.....I could be fluent in Chinese!!

When I think about how many hours of my life that adds up to.....I could be fluent in Chinese!!

Yeah but then you'd never know words like Goron, triforce, Hyrule, Ganondorf etc. You'd never have chased fairies or worn iron boots or shot arrows at giant eyes.
    And what a void that would have left in your world :(

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

LttP is one of those games thats beloved by people who played it back in 1992/1993, but (and this might be a bit controversial), it has been superceded by Minish Cap for GBA as the best 2D Zelda game, I'd reccomend that over any other top down Zelda.

Phantom Hourgalss and particularly Spirit Tracks are two of the weakest Zelda games ever made imo.

It's strange, but of the 3D Zeldas,. though I loved them all, they all had glaring faults and omissions.

Majoras Mask had the 3 hour time limit, which while an amazing concept in the overworld, is horrible for dungeon exploration!

Wind Wakers's sailing was a pain, particularly constantly having to play a song every time you want to change direction in your boat. Could have used more and bigger islands too.

Twilight Princess completely forgot about your hard earned items the second you left the dungeon you found them in.

Skyward Sword has just three regions, only one town, the sky is a crappy replacement to a real interconnected overworld, and the controls weren't quite as perfect as some made out.

Oot is pretty much the perfect Zelda, it has the most dungeons, a good overworld, lots of regional variety, loads of uses for your items in and out of dungeons, perfect controls, good towns and sidequests... It just does everything right in a way that no subsequent Zelda game has.

The guy in Ocarina of time is called a Goron Dariuna
    FYP...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

FYP...

I said a Goron as in collective noun. In response to rock eating monsters.

So there! Mr Knowitall :P

Icarian wrote: »
    Majoras Mask had the 3 hour time limit, which while an amazing concept in the overworld, is horrible for dungeon exploration!

Once you learn the reverse song of time, it's grand, but it adds a sense of urgency to it, which I loved! Yes it could be frustrating if you had to leave. Nothing beats the rush of trying to beat a boss in the end of the third day hoping to make it before the clock started striking twelve!

Icarian wrote: »
    LttP is one of those games thats beloved by people who played it back in 1992/1993, but (and this might be a bit controversial), it has been superceded by Minish Cap for GBA as the best 2D Zelda game, I'd reccomend that over any other top down Zelda

Nah, LttP is the king. Minish Cap is good, very good, but it can't dethrone LttP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am not hater, but I am really have trouble getting in to ocorina of time on 3ds. It's just meh... I can't even push myself to finish it off ! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm buying an ocarina.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I played Ocarina of Time on the 3Ds and thought it was outstanding. One of my favourite games ever.

I was so impressed with it that I took out LttP which I originally bought on the GBA but never finished - and I finally completed that the other day...and I was left underwhelmed.

I'm not sure why some say LttP is better than Ocarina of Time? Is it a nostalgia thing because to me Ocarina of Time is a good bit better. I'm not saying LttP isn't good. I enjoyed it, but after going straight from Ocarina to LttP it just left me as I say underwhelmed.

I might give Minish Cap a look if it's still around.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

I played Ocarina of Time on the 3Ds and thought it was outstanding. One of my favourite games ever.

I was so impressed with it that I took out LttP which I originally bought on the GBA but never finished - and I finally completed that the other day...and I was left underwhelmed.

I'm not sure why some say LttP is better than Ocarina of Time? Is it a nostalgia thing because to me Ocarina of Time is a good bit better. I'm not saying LttP isn't good. I enjoyed it, but after going straight from Ocarina to LttP it just left me as I say underwhelmed.

I might give Minish Cap a look if it's still around.

I played LttP on release, & overnight it demolished everything that came before it. I can't imagine what it'd be like to play LttP today as a first timer, it probably wouldn't have the impact it had on those who played it years ago. I suppose you'd have to have a love for 2d sprite graphics etc, but if you do, between the storyline/graphics/soundtrack it's easy to call it one of the greatest 16bit games ever made.

OoT is a truly worthy successor, & aside from Majoras Mask, they're only matching it today with Skyward Sword.

I'm buying an ocarina.
    I bought one in Vienna a few years ago. Pay attention to the number of holes, your bog standard 6 or 7 hole Ocarina does not have enough range to play the Song of Time (or one of the other key tunes) if memory serves. Also, they seldom come in the OoT format - the elongated body with protruding mouthpiece, unless you have someone making OoT replicas, and they'll charge you through the nose for it because they know why you want it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Ocarina of Time is a masterpiece, buy it for the Wii off Virtual Console. It's a bit dated nowadays but the gameplay and depth is outstanding.

However, I much prefer Majora's Mask (as might be evident from my avatar/signature). It's my favourite video game ever. It's dark, funny endlessly replayable and devestatingly original. It has a Groundhog day vibe so you have to reset every 3 game days, with the game world returning back to day 1 with Link keeping only his main items.

OoT was universally praised but was criticised by players who disliked not being able to replay boss battles (which were brilliant fun) and found the character depth to be a bit shallow. Majora's Mask really built on this and made you genuinely care about characters and brought in butterfly effects. For example, if you stop an old lady being mugged in day 1, the thief has nothing to sell to the pawn shop which means that a couple cannot be reunited. It's mad interesting.

Get OoT, play it, enjoy it then get onto Majora's Mask whih is the finest game ever. You need to play OoT to fully appreciate MM though!

I must give MM another try. I did try it a good few years ago and it nearly gave me a nervous breakdown. Now that I'm older and wiser (and walkthroughs are more accessible :P) I could probably manage it withough throwing the controller through the tv.

Can you download MM on the Wii?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

ash23 wrote: »
    I must give MM another try. I did try it a good few years ago and it nearly gave me a nervous breakdown. Now that I'm older and wiser (and walkthroughs are more accessible :P) I could probably manage it withough throwing the controller through the tv.

Can you download MM on the Wii?

Yep.

I generally have to run away when it comes to discussing OoT and MM, because I never played either on original release (didn't have an N64), but when I got my hands on the Zelda Retrospective disc with my Gamecube, I lasted 1 hour into OoT before getting bored and instead jumped straight into MM, which I preferred overall.

*ducks in anticipation of stuff being thrown my way*

Fysh wrote: »
    Yep.

I generally have to run away when it comes to discussing OoT and MM, because I never played either on original release (didn't have an N64), but when I got my hands on the Zelda Retrospective disc with my Gamecube, I lasted 1 hour into OoT before getting bored and instead jumped straight into MM, which I preferred overall.

*ducks in anticipation of stuff being thrown my way*

The first game I ever properly played was Zelda on the N64 and that was when I was in college ( we were too poor for consoles! ) and then I played MM on the Gamecube when I got the Windwaker and it perplexed me!

Majoras mask on the DS, now that's something I'd play!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really enjoy Majora's Mask, although at around the halfway point I'll admit to getting frustrated at it and abandoning it. The developers really follow through on the time travel aspect of the game, and unfortunately it means that a handful of bits can get mind-melting when you have to repeat a whole string of events to get the required result. That said, it's a stunningly realised game by all accounts, and the puzzle / level / gameplay design is stunningly good despite some of the eccentricities. I'll get back to it shortly, hopefully!

I love OoT and Twilight Princess (the latter I think gets an unfair time of it). LttP is one of the greatest games ever, and I say that having only got on board with the GBA port. Most of the portable games are fantastic - especially Link's Awakening, Minish Cap and the Oracle games (of which I've only played one, alas). Wind Waker gets a hard time for a few of its flaws, but it's the game that won me back over to gaming for the sheer gameplay and visual strengths and I cannot begrudge it even with that triforce quest. Just finished Skyward Sword and I loved 95% of it - if it wasn't for a small handful of repeated puzzles and some small control niggles (overall, I think Wiimotion Plus works fantastically) it would border on the perfect. As is, it's still one of Nintendo's best games in a decade, and a fantastic experience from beginning to end.

The only games I have an issue with are the DS ones. They're still fine games, no doubt. But their eccentricities - namely 'hub' dungeons and frustrating transportation (stupid train) - were far more bothersome at times than they should have been. Still haven't finished Spirit Tracks, and despite some great dungeon design, the thoughts of controlling that train and trying to avoid those Thomas the Bastard guys that make exploration a pain in the hole just isn't appealing.

Fysh wrote: »
    ...I lasted 1 hour into OoT before getting bored and instead jumped straight into MM, which I preferred overall.

In fairness to OoT, it starts very slowly, but builds up well.
    I would personally rate MM way above OoT myself too.

• Advertisement

I must go back and play Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I bought them both only to find that my mic didn't work, which renders the games unplayable - especially Spirit Tracks which requires mic input to work the f'ing pan pipes... The new 3DS should be fine though.

Advertisement