Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unreasonable Garda for Traffic Offence

13»

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I will close this thread tomorrow unless there is some legal discussion in the interim.

If you want to talk about good/bad driving, there are plenty of people on the Motors forum who love that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

The answer to this whole situation is, 'Two wrongs don't make a right'..... If someone is trying to enter the motorway down a slip, and you are next in line to possibly prevent them from doing so, then rather than having them drive and continue into the hard shoulder! Do your best to make sure they slip onto the motorway seamlessly, whether they have reached 120k or not..... Secondly if a car comes up behind you on the motorway and for some reason is flashing and beeping at you regardless off your personal feelings! Do your best in a safe and adult fashion to get out off the way back onto the appropriate lane,,, failing to do so could result in penalty points and a fine, as this 'unfortunate' motorist found out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

ardle1 wrote: »
    The answer to this whole situation is, 'Two wrongs don't make a right'..... If someone is trying to enter the motorway down a slip, and you are next in line to possibly prevent them from doing so, then rather than having them drive and continue into the hard shoulder! Do your best to make sure they slip onto the motorway seamlessly, whether they have reached 120k or not..... Secondly if a car comes up behind you on the motorway and for some reason is flashing and beeping at you regardless off your personal feelings! Do your best in a safe and adult fashion to get out off the way back onto the appropriate lane,,, failing to do so could result in penalty points and a fine, as this 'unfortunate' motorist found out.....

Ignore them unless its one of the emergency services with their lights on. Move over in your own time when you have finished your overtaking. You drive to your own speed and not the car behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

KingDH wrote: »
    Trust me, I learnt my lesson and thats why im just going to pay the fine. Its just unfortunate that i'll be the only one receiving the penalty when a person who has the job of upholding the law then breaks it and gets off.

It sounds like there were 2 of ye in it. You can complain at a local level or contact the garda ombudsman but his behaviour doesn't excuse yours and your points will stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

It sounds like there were 2 of ye in it. You can complain at a local level or contact the garda ombudsman but his behaviour doesn't excuse yours and your points will stand.
    and yours does not excuse his

• Advertisement

WayneScott wrote: »
    and yours does not excuse his

yes?

yes?
    the op's behaviour does not excus the cops behaviour he should know better

WayneScott wrote: »
    the op's behaviour does not excus the cops behaviour he should know better

I didn't say it was excused. I said he can complain about it and that there were 2 of them in the wrong. :confused:

you said
    his behaviour doesn't excuse yours

i said the ops behaviour did not excuse the gard it was a general comment not really amied at you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Why? You have a right to use the brakes its standard procedure when driving . You dont have to give a reason to the car behind as to why you braked. The car behind should be leaving a decent gap in the first place and being fined for tapping the brakes is spiteful in itself .
    Going by the OP , i would appeal any fine given on such a flimsy excuse.

give over will ya,that won't hold up in court.
    Firstly we're all presuming op's story is 100% correct.
    Even if it is he was bang out of order,'just tapping them to get the light's to come up' ffs.
    Regardless of the (supposed)tailing the op nearly caused an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OP brake-checked a Guard.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 51,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

peckerhead wrote: »
    Whatever the ins and outs of who was more in the wrong, €60 and 2 points is not a big hit for a charge of reckless driving (which I understand is a step up from dangerous driving and/or simply exceeding the speed limit?). I just paid €80 and took two points because an invisible speed van snapped me doing 71kph in a 60kph zone, late at night, with an empty road and perfect visibility (it's the N69, the main road from Limerick to Foynes). :(

Did the same for doing 59 in a 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

give over will ya,that won't hold up in court.
    Firstly we're all presuming op's story is 100% correct.
    Even if it is he was bang out of order,'just tapping them to get the light's to come up' ffs.
    Regardless of the (supposed)tailing the op nearly caused an accident.

The only person in danger of causing an accident is the driver of the car not keeping the required safe stopping distance in case the car in front breaks especially on the motorway. You should always be prepared for the car in front to slow down for whatever reason . If you think someone giving a light tap of the breaks is a danger and not the car tailgating then maybe you dont drive and if you do drive then i would be concerned.

Im shocked to be honest that there is no or little complaint about the car that was tailgating at speed on the motorway.

Whats coming across in this thread is that if a car is tailgating you, then you shouldnt use your breaks incase you cause an accident. What if the OP had come up to a slower moving car in his lane when he was overtaking, should he not bother using the breaks because of the idiot behind?
    All the Op has to say is that he was at the speed limit and used the breaks to keep under it.
    There is a strange notion on here that the Op slammed the breaks or was constantly tapping them to annoy the car behind for no good reason. That's not what was said in the opening post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

The Garda Ombudsman can be very effective OP ;)

This just reminded me of the idiot who overtook me down the left hand lane after the toll the last day.

I went to the change basket so was at the very right, I was just coming to the lanes when I glanced in my mirror and saw some dickhead in a jeep driving far too close for me to continue my slide over into the left lane.
    I pushed back towards the right lane and had to drop my speed and let him overtake me so I could get back in lane.

You'd think it would be common sense to let the person ahead of you get into the left lane first and then if you wish, you can pull into the right lane from behind and proceed or form in line.

It's a shame all cars don't have front and rear cameras and we could somewhat police the roads ourselves.
    I was never even that careless when driving a few weeks.

Also on that same journey there was an older lady(50s) in Micra behind me, I generally go 100-110 on the motor way which isn't exactly slow by any means.

Anyway we were approaching roadworks in the right lane, to signal this they put 3 vehicles in the hard shoulder showing the right lane is closed in 800.... 500 metres etc.

The lady behind me decided to overtake me after we passed the SECOND sign.
    There was another car ahead doing the same speed as me and she only got back into the lane with about 100metres to go.
    Seriously how retarded can people be?.
    I think for doing something like that you should straight up lose your license.
    She could have killed a vast number of us and she was only going about 5mph faster than me as she spent a few KM close behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd still love to hear the OP give a reason for hitting the brakes. Obviously the answer is to spite the guy behind him, but I'd love to hear him admit it and stop trying to pretend he didn't do anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Zillah wrote: »
    I'd still love to hear the OP give a reason for hitting the brakes. Obviously the answer is to spite the guy behind him, but I'd love to hear him admit it and stop trying to pretend he didn't do anything wrong.

It gives the reason in the OP.
    KingDH wrote: »
    So I tapped my brakes just to put on the lights to get him to back off, which he did, and I finished overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

There are no offences till the op overtakes. During the overtake the garda is close behind him and flashes him.

In Ireland a flash from behind is normally a request to pull in to the left and let a car intending to go faster by.

The op was overtaking so logically he was going to merge back anyway to the left. Instead he has performed an action which could have resulted in a three car collision and the deaths of all involved.

Granted the op noticed the garda was to close but he escalated the dangerous behavior.

I think the op is lucky he got what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Would extreme tailgating not be dangerous driving and the cause of any accident. If the Garda wasn't driving too close to the vehicle in front then the vehicle in front breaking for whatever reason would not be an issue.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Would extreme tailgating not be dangerous driving and the cause of any accident. If the Garda wasn't driving too close to the vehicle in front then the vehicle in front breaking for whatever reason would not be an issue.

The garda probably has a defence under some section of the road acts. Responding to a call etc

The op on the other hand has freely admitted why he tapped the brakes.

If two people are speeding each other do they have the defence of "well he statrted it"?

Maybe if you trembled your top lip a bit in court.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Ruby4711

Zambia wrote: »

If two people are speeding each other do they have the defence of "well he statrted it"?

I am not sure what "speeding each other" is, but "he started it" is not, usually, a defence in court, and is more usually heard as a defence in the playground.

The garda probably has a defence under some section of the road acts. Responding to a call etc

The op on the other hand has freely admitted why he tapped the brakes.

Maybe if you trembled your top lip a bit in court.

Responding to a call isn't a defense for dangerous or reckless driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

ok but the fact of the matter is the op escalated things by tapping the brakes,up till then we had one car too close to the one in front,for feck sake it happens all the time and I hate it but what if we all started tapping the brakes?
    Yes I know people would be less likely to tail but then we would get into discussions like when does it become tailing.

Of course not but it would explian why he was in such a hurry to pass the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Of course not but it would explian why he was in such a hurry to pass the op.
    And then stopped to give the OP a ticket.

No Pants wrote: »
    And then stopped to give the OP a ticket.

This can happen 3 units rush to a call and the first unit on scene cancels the other units as they are not required.

The point still stands someone else's poor driving is no excuse for yours. Unless they forced you to swerve to avoid them or the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Conceptually, tapping brakes can be a dangerous act - much depends on the evidence of a particular case.
    Generally, it is bad driving practice.
    I sometimes tap the brakes with my left foot while keeping the right on the accelerator to maintain my speed. Hate tailgaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

If the OP accelerated (over the speed limit) to get out of the way of the anonymous, aggressive, tail gating car behind him that was flashing its lights to try and get him out of the way then the Gard would most likely have done him for speeding!

With some tossers you just can’t win! :rolleyes:

There have been plenty of posts with regard to this in the past where a response was provoked!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Ruby4711

odds_on wrote: »
    I sometimes tap the brakes with my left foot while keeping the right on the accelerator to maintain my speed. Hate tailgaters.

I once knew someone who said he was going to "teach a tailgater a lesson". He ended up in hospital with a broken collar bone and was charged and convicted of dangerous driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

This post has been deleted.

Do exactly this and the chancer are the Guard knows his driving was rediculous and will not fancy explaining his actions in court. He sounds like a w*&^er and presumes you will bend over and pay the fine.

Wait for the summons and laugh when the judge strikes it out and the Guard goes home with his tail between his legs

Advertisement