Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lottery Wordpress Plugin or Other suggestions.

Options
  • 07-05-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Repost: From Design.

Hey Guys,

I'm helping my Local GAA out with a wordpress website. I'm not a expert by any means and I'm looking for a bit of assistance.

They want a lottery section, A place where they can put up the lottery Numbers that have been drawn out and post them on the website.

I can't find any wordpress plugins that are able to create custom Lotterys or even suggest a plugin that would be able to help.

They don't want any purchasability just a way of broadcasting it and I'd like to have it somewhat neat and tidy.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

I'd recommend going on e-lance or o-desk and putting in a development request with the spec you've just outlined. You'll have someone back to you within the hour with the relevant code at a fair rate. Then just pop the code into the relevant section on the site and it should feed through the results automatically.

There might be a few boardsies well capable of doing this also, but I've always had a quick turnaround and great value on the above two sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Can you not just put up a post with the winning numbers in it? Or am I missing something here?

No need to over engineer the solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

regular post in a 'lotto' category with 4 custom fields would do the job...
    just style the custom fields as lotto balls and bob's your uncle.

smemon wrote: »
    regular post in a 'lotto' category with 4 custom fields would do the job...
    just style the custom fields as lotto balls and bob's your uncle.

That's the simplest solution alright, but involves regular, manual input. I'd always veer on the side of automation on tasks like this, particularly when the costs are so low. You could probably get a gig on fiverr.com for it even, stick it up in a sidebar text box, freeing time resources to concentrate on actual meaningful content.

Here's a couple of ready-made widgets, lash the code of the one you like into a text box in the sidebar - http://www.playirishlotto.com/lottery_results.php?pid=irishlottery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

luketitz wrote: »
    That's the simplest solution alright, but involves regular, manual input. I'd always veer on the side of automation on tasks like this, particularly when the costs are so low. You could probably get a gig on fiverr.com for it even, stick it up in a sidebar text box, freeing time resources to concentrate on actual meaningful content.

Just out of curiosity, where is the automated process going to get the lottery numbers from if no-one is going to input them manually? (I'm assuming here the O.P is referring to the GAA clubs own lottery and not the National Lottery).

Graham wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, where is the automated process going to get the lottery numbers from if no-one is going to input them manually? (I'm assuming here the O.P is referring to the GAA clubs own lottery and not the National Lottery).

Ah jaysus, you're right. I was completely basing this on the misguided assumption he was referring to the national lotto. :o

Manual input seems the only way forward, sorry for muddying the waters in what was a simple solution to a simple query!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Your assumption could well be correct luketitz, I just assumed the alternative when the OP mentioned there was no need for 'purchasability'.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

Sorry for the Lack of response, Graham would be correct, its only for the Local Lotto that the GAA do every Week.

I'm Thinking that I'll Just use the Html widget and Do it that way.

Seems to be the easiest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Simplest solution is to just edit the numbers and winners, if you want, into the same post each week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement