Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tunnel from Dublin to Holyhead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I frequently travel on the continent by plane and train and the conparison is invalid. While on its face, the flight of 1 hour versus train of 3 hours is a no brainer; very rarely have I beaten the train to my destination in time or cost (or comfort). Air travel is a hassle and getting worse, 1 hour in the air often means at least an hour at the airport, travel to and from the airport to city centre or business district locations (90% of the time directly served by intercity trains) and tickets are much more expensive.

It may be an irrational expense at the moment, but I don't think the comparison to air travel is a good one. Train wins 9 times out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You sure you understand the meaning of "commuting"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Bangor, NI to Portpatrick, Scotland more viable. Only 20km. Road tunnel would be better too. Realisticly speaking, you could get from Dublin to Glasgow in 5-6 hours driving.

EDIT: The reason I say a road tunnel will be better is that Irish Rail won't have an efficient system operating. Irish Rail only operates trains to an from Belfast, and terminates trains there. Realistically speaking, if you look at the route map, there could be direct trains to and from Derry, for example, but alas, there isn't. If there was a train line between Belfast and Glasgow via the undersea tunnel, Irish Rail (I can guarantee you) would not operate a service from Dublin to Glasgow, you'd have to change in Belfast. I'd say the unions (and all those clowns in general) would make life very hard for honest hard working normal people and grind the whole project to a halt.

tl;dr, Belfast to Glasgow is better (only under 20 km of sea, 4.5 times longer than port tunnel only) because more realistic, cheaper, more likely to get done, UK Government more money

Irish Rail fail = unions = no work done

Driving time from Belfast to Glasgow only 2 hours 5 hours max from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭cgcsb

EDIT: The reason I say a road tunnel will be better is that Irish Rail won't have an efficient system operating. Irish Rail only operates trains to an from Belfast, and terminates trains there.

Obviously they would run the service to Glasgow if the infrastructure was there. The more pressing issue is building the tunnel, service patterns can be changed relatively easily.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Don't wish to rain on anyone's parade, but long term with the change in emphasis on the use of oil. there may be a case for a ultra high speed rail link from the Shannon estuary, via Rosslare area, to South Wales, then on to the South East, to tie in to the Channel Tunnel and Europe, freight both ways being the main traffic, with regular high speed services tying in to flights across the Atlantic from Shannon, on the basis that Shannon is the shortest route to the States, and high speed electric rail should be more sustainable than flying, and the Shannon Estuary would be an ideal deep water port for the shortest ship distance from the East Coast of the USA.

The long term issue is the finite availability of oil, which will affect shipping and flying to a much more significant degree than rail, on the basis that flying and shipping are both remote from power sources in a way that rail is not.

High speed feeders from Dublin and Belfast to the main rail link are not an issue as such, in the scale of things they would be relatively cheap, in the sort of timescales we're talking about, the "fast" lane of most of the motorways will be redundant due to the cost of fuel, so building rail tracks on them will be relatively cheap, and effective in terms of not disrupting other transport services.

Then again, the whole thing might just end up as another April joke, given the lack of our politicians to look, think or plan beyond the next election, and the apparent inability of the voters to look even that far, if Meath East is anything to go by!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Well, yeah, the number is "2" (2011, first time ever & 2012) and the "profit" is really magic money. £52m reported profits on £800m sales in 2012, but 40% of that (=£320m) is direct subsidy from the French and British governments, so if (when?) that gets cut someone will have to write off another few billions. :rolleyes:

Direct subsidy in the 2012 sales figures?

What?
    Bangor, NI to Portpatrick, Scotland more viable. Only 20km. Road tunnel would be better too. Realisticly speaking, you could get from Dublin to Glasgow in 5-6 hours driving.

EDIT: The reason I say a road tunnel will be better is that Irish Rail won't have an efficient system operating. Irish Rail only operates trains to an from Belfast, and terminates trains there. Realistically speaking, if you look at the route map, there could be direct trains to and from Derry, for example, but alas, there isn't. If there was a train line between Belfast and Glasgow via the undersea tunnel, Irish Rail (I can guarantee you) would not operate a service from Dublin to Glasgow, you'd have to change in Belfast. I'd say the unions (and all those clowns in general) would make life very hard for honest hard working normal people and grind the whole project to a halt.

tl;dr, Belfast to Glasgow is better (only under 20 km of sea, 4.5 times longer than port tunnel only) because more realistic, cheaper, more likely to get done, UK Government more money

Irish Rail fail = unions = no work done

Driving time from Belfast to Glasgow only 2 hours 5 hours max from Dublin

Did you miss the posts about the depth of the sea between NI and Scotland?

And who said anything about Irish Rail?

For the amount of money needed for a tunnel, a lot more fast ferries would be a better and significantly cheaper option.

Better how?
    A tunnel's usefulness to its end users is a very broad consideration. For me, as a potential end user, it would be useful, and its services desirable, if it did things better than the currently available options of air and sea transport. An Irish Sea tunnel would not offer better pricing without enormous state subsidies

Enormous state subsidies -- that sounds like air travel!
    it would offer, at most, similar travel times to airplanes;

Great. I can't see why that's a problem to the end user
    it would not offer better frequency

Why do you think it would not?

and more destinations than flying;

Sure it's not a bar to high speed rail elsewhere.
    it would not offer better capacity or flexibility (or, probably, pricing) than ships for freight.

It would offer better speed and reliability, and the likes of Stobart seem to think it offers fuel savings. Speed / fuel savings is why Tesco uses trains from the UK to Spain, as well as within the UK.

For potential passengers, in order to be useful and desirable, it would have to be better than what's available now.

Why?
    I'm assuming (perhaps erroneously) that many people who live and work in London don't necessarily live in the city centre but outside it. Thus airports such as Gatwick, Stansted, and Luton can serve, to an extent, discrete populations in a way that a train dropping everyone at, say, St. Pancras can't.

Firstly, high-speed rail is beneficial in areas where the population is dense enough to serve it. Hence the presence of high-speed rail between certain parts of continental Europe (densely inhabited and affluent population centres), Japan and, increasingly, China, but not in the U.S. or Ireland.

The US has high-speed rail, even if the very low end.

Amtrak isn't doing too badly in short/mid distance intercity travel http://streetsblog.net/2013/03/22/in-many-markets-rail-beats-or-competes-with-air-travel/

And there's plans advancing for high speed rail elsewhere in the US.

Secondly, railways are limited by their tracks and stations - they can only serve people who are willing or able to connect to and from their end points. While London and the southeast has a high population density in order to make St. Pancras, for instance, a viable end point or connection point for passengers, Ireland's population is spread too thinly to expect enough people to fill a train at Heuston or Connolly in order for it to pay for itself. So connecting a very large city to a very small city wouldn't work, imho.

Airports are not fixed locations?

Given the improvements in motorways, the ubiquity of private motoring, and the advent of cheap air travel, the relevance of rail today is restricted to small areas with large populations (the Randstad, for example). While there are enough people commuting in and around Dublin to merit urban rail lines such as DART, Luas, and (hopefully) Metro North, there are not enough people commuting between Dublin and London to sustain the expensive rolling stock, multiple tunnel bores, and hundreds of kilometres of track and signalling that such a large-scale project requires.

Rail needs commuters? But air doesn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Whilst it would be an amazing luxury to have, I'm sure a cost benefit analysis would show this would not be worth doing any time soon unfortunately.

It would be twice the length of the channel tunnel, costs would be massive, then you have to factor in both the extra benefit it would bring compared to the current shipping route, how much - if any - would it increase outflows and efficiency? Would that be sufficient enough to justify the expense?

Also look at the rail / road links from Hollyhead to London for the London - Paris continuation - infrastructure out of our control - would the UK Government really be arsed putting in a high volume, rapid rail link between the two tunnels when it may not benefit them much but would be required for this project to be worthwhile?

It's something I would love to see, but sadly, I can't see it ever happening. There's just no enough benefit to justify the cost.

I think we're more likely to see a New York to Galway rail link within the next 250 years! THEN there would be justification for a rail network from Dublin - London - Paris and beyond via Hollyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Imagine the rush of people down the tunnel to get a drink in the UK on Good Friday. Sure it would pay for itself in a couple of years....

[Jackass] wrote: »
    ...would the UK Government really be arsed putting in a high volume, rapid rail link between the two tunnels when it may not benefit them much but would be required for this project to be worthwhile?

http://www.hs2.org.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

What am I supposed to be looking at here? The "Phase 2" plans?

Those are commuter links for high speed rail on the East Coast / Midlands of the UK.

Granted they are interested in developing high speed inter city rail links for the UK to London, but there isn't a major UK city within an arses roar of Holyhead. Whilst a Holyhead to London link (perhaps via Cardiff & Bristol) would benefit IRELAND greatly, it may not be high on the priorities of the UK Government to link the 200 miles or so of track between Cardiff and Holyhead to benefit the Irish, and again, it comes back to the main, and most damning point about the project. How much would a tunnell benefit either economy? What additional, if any, trade would be conducted between the two countries and how much real benefit would be gained for the increased efficiency? There may be benefits, but it has to be enough to justify half a billion worth of invesment in infrastructure that could be spent elsewhere. (in terms of the overall cost of the project - although that's a random guess, I've no idea how much it would cost).

I'm not saying it's impossible that they would be willing to do the links, but I don't think this idea would make it off the feasability study table. It's just not economical - for either country.

If you look at the UK / France tunnel for example, the UK are gaining rapid rail access to all of central Europe, the French are gaining access to a market of 70,000,000 people.

Is the isolated Island of Ireland and it's 5,000,000 or so inhabitants really worth the effort? When there's already a fairly established trading route that doesn't seem to be working beyond capacity.

Also, what would this do to the massive sunk costs as well as planned investment for developing Dublin Port?

Trust me, I don't want to pee on anyones parade, no one would love to see it happen more than me, I think it would be superb, but it's a luxury that we will more than likely never see in our lifetime unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Holyhead to Crewe (a High Speed Two interchange) is around 170km.

You had suggested they would have to be interested in developing a high speed rail link "between the two tunnels" -- my point is it's a far shorter distance than you had being suggesting given that High Speed Two is already in planning.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Is the isolated Island of Ireland and it's 5,000,000 or so inhabitants really worth the effort? When there's already a fairly established trading route that doesn't seem to be working beyond capacity.

"isolated Island of Ireland" -- EU funding / loaning bodies would love to help improve that. :D

The island has a population of 6.3 million not 5 million. But you would not plan anything like this on current population size.

Current and wannabe Irish port companies all point to a need for port expansion and/or a new port. For fast transport, both cargo and passanger, it's looking more and more that London and south of England airport slots will be rarer and rarer to get and harder to hold onto.

The big problem is that even now, we're all looking too short term, but in that respect, even 30 years is short term, I made the comments I did earlier based on the longer than that implications of the lesser availability of cheap non renewable energy like oil, so there will be a significant premium on it's use for even things like shipping, which is cheap in comparison to things like trains or trucks.

In the longer term, it will be in everyone's interest to use as little as possible non renewable energy for transportation, and to use renewables as much as possible for transportation.

On that basis, there is a case for a "super port" and air hub that would work well around the Shannon Estuary, with a ultra high speed rail link to Europe, which could handle a significant quantity of freight to and from the Continental USA, and also from other parts of the world.

The Chinese are spending massive sums on making sure that they have a viable rail connection from China to Europe, but a rail connection from the USA to Europe is not going to happen for probably 100 years, while there are some very fancy proposals for undersea tunnels that are "floating" on a wire anchor system, there is a lot of kite flying in there, as the trains would be pressurised/sealed, in order to achieve the designed speeds, they would be running in a vacuum.

Before that happens, things like rail WILL replace local flights on airlines, and air travel will only be used where there is no surface alternative, and we will probably see rail tracks on the right hand lane of most motorways, as the level of long distance and heavy road traffic will most likely diminish unless a means is found of charging batteries while on the move, using under road circuits of some sort.

I'm not talking here about changes that will happen in the next 10 or 20 years, some of this is 30 to 50 years out, and based on present understandings of energy as we know it now.

So, if there was a "super port" in the Shannon Estuary, and an upgrade of the Shannon airport, to facilitate a rail connection to Europe, with air connections for both passengers and urgent freight to the East Coast of the USA, the numbers that would use such a service may not be high now, but as the oil scenario changes, the population of Ireland and trade to and from Ireland as such becomes irrelevant, it will be the total quantity of freight and passengers from the accessible parts of Europe that will be the potential market for a facility at Shannon.

At the moment, Rotterdam is the port of access to much of Europe, but if using ship borne transport becomes more expensive than using rail, which that is a distinct possibility, unless nuclear fission becomes viable and cheap for small scale units, the the concept of a Shannon super hub is very much a reality, for both imports and exports for much of Northern Europe. Bio fuel is going to be a problem, as the quantities required put the production of food at risk, growing crops for bio fuel and human food are competitive for land space now, and that will only get worse.

The other option is for economies to become much more self sufficient, and for production and consumption to go back to being local, but the way the world has changed, and demand for products that are not local has increased, that is a change that is not going to happen in a hurry, in the same way that travel for the masses will not just stop.

What is clear is that the finite life of oil reserves is going to force massive change on much of what we know and understand now, carbon fuel based transport, from cars up to supertankers and the like, are going to undergo a massive change over the next century. In the same way that the accident of geography has brought massive earnings to the Irish Aviation Authority from overflights, which have no relation to the population size of Ireland, there is no reason why we should not see the same sorts of returns from transit traffic through Ireland to other parts of the world on of just below the surface, as that will replace a large proportion of air travel as we know it now, unless science becomes very creative in a big hurry, a viable replacement for oil or bio fuel has not emerged yet.

OK, you may have problems getting your head round this. The first flight of a powered aircraft happened just over 100 years ago, and the flight distance was less than the length of an Airbus 380, and at little more than walking speed. Now, it's possible to put close on 600 people in one aircraft, and transport them non stop and reliably over half way round the world at close on 600 Km per hour, with very high levels of reliability.

Ultra high speed rail, using magnetic levitation is already a proven working concept, now the requirement is to increase the speed, and capacity, and develop the capability of running long distances over, or better, under water at a depth that is not disturbed by surface agitation from storms and the like. While technically it will be a tunnel, it will not be a tunnel under the water, but through it, so the construction will not need massively deep level boring machines, or similar, it will need massive sections to be taken to position and submerged and connected, and anchored, so while there will be deep sea work to be done, to place tethering anchors, the bulk of the work will be at manageable depths.

Again, for the sceptics, and there will be plenty, this is NOT a short or medium term issue, it's not even on the radar of the EU of the politicians right now, because in most cases, they can't and won't think beyond the next election, which is one of the reasons why we are in the mess we are now. This is Long term strategic infrastructural development that will require charters and conventions between states in a way that doesn't happen at the moment, in order to ensure the ongoing orderly trade on which so much of this world is now dependant. As for who is going to front run this, I don't see a leader that is even close to being able to step up to this level of challenge, to me, the political fish pond is barren, and has nothing in that that comes even close to recommending itself for such a role, but that's thread drift

Maybe this is all a flight of fantasy, but the significant factor is that Ireland is one of the closest points to the East Coast of the Americas, and one of the places that doesn't get disrupted regularly by abnormal weather or seismic events, both of which will be significant in the long term design of the new world transportation systems.

OK, it's a big step forward from Dublin to Holyhead, but the reality is that this level of thinking and planning will be the level required for Ireland to benefit from this level of connection to Europe, as there will be gains for Europe in making it happen, so hopefully, Europe will also contribute significantly to the funding of such a project.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Surely though for US shipping operators the difference in fuel costs between shipping to a potential new port in Shannon and Rotterdam is going to be very small, and for longer distances, say from SE Asia, vanishingly small? The total population of the main European land mass accessible from the Netherlands dwarfs that of the UK, let alone Ireland, so what would be in it for them to use Shannon in preference?

Alun wrote: »
    Surely though for US shipping operators the difference in fuel costs between shipping to a potential new port in Shannon and Rotterdam is going to be very small, and for longer distances, say from SE Asia, vanishingly small? The total population of the main European land mass accessible from the Netherlands dwarfs that of the UK, let alone Ireland, so what would be in it for them to use Shannon in preference?

Given the present price of oil, maybe nothing, but let's look at the price of oil being 100 times what it is now. We already see a mass exodus from one airline to another when the price is 19.99 instead of 24.99, and the same will be true in shipping, and in every other form of human endeavour.

A large supertanker can use up to 330 Tonnes of heavy oil per day, so if Rotterdam is close on 2 days from Shannon, probably round trip of 5 days in total sea time, that's close on 1500 tonnes of fuel, so if rail becomes cheaper than ship. we're talking very big bucks here.

I'm old enough to remember putting fuel in a motor bike at less than (converted from old currencies) 50 cents per GALLON, or 11 cents per Litre, we're now looking at €1.50 plus per litre. So, to make the math easy, 50 miles per gallon, the old cost per mile was 1 cent per mile, now it's 15 cents per mile.

Let's presume that there is a much bigger increase over time to deter use of oil for non essential purposes, so oil is now perhaps €15 per litre. All of a sudden, 330 Tonnes per day becomes an even bigger overhead on the operating cost of the ship. Why do you think that Stena Line are only using the HSS in the summer months, for only one crossing per day, and they have put a second traditional ferry on the route from Dublin Port? Partly because the HSS didn't meet the operational requirement for really heavy sea conditions, but also because the operating costs of the thing are MASSIVE compared to the traditional ferry, the HSS just is not economic when trying to compete with the likes of Ryanair etc because of the additional cost of getting to anywhere once in Holyhead. The HSS uses 4 large marine turbines, and they eat fuel like it was going out of fashion,

That's why I'm saying that this is longer term, once oil can't be used for many of the things it is now, like plastic bags, and plastic bottles, there will be all manner of changes in material and methods to get round it, but ships are limited in their energy possibilities, unless someone has invented a new very high power solar system that no one knows about, or a completely new energy source is found.

I may be completely wrong, but we've been using oil and derivatives for a long time now, and no one has seen fit to seriously try to replace it yet, which maybe tells us something.

I don't know how far Shannon is from Rotterdam by sea, but I'd guess that the difference between sailing direct to the one over the other from the east coast of the US would be less than that as AFAIK sea traffic tends to follow great circle routes as much as possible. Also surely it's not the absolute difference in fuel used but the relative difference that's relevant here?

Not sure of the sea distance, what I am aware of is that the speed of the supertankers is about 16 kts, and the RoRo ferries are usually slightly faster, around 21 Kts, from Rosslare to Cherbourg is about 18 Hrs,

Boston to Shannon GC is 2516 Nm, BOS AMS is about 3100 Nm, so we're looking at round figires 600 Nm in each direction, so 1200 Nm, which equates to about 5 days round trip time at 18 Kts, on that basis, close on 1700 Tonnes of Heavy oil. The sea distance is going to be slightly longer than that, as the great circle goes over land and ships can't do that yet. For what it's worth, I've used Boston, Lands End, then to Rotterdam to get the routing, so it's not that far off.

So, if you were to operate Boston Shannon, with the same size ship, the round trip is 5 days shorter, and uses 1700 Tonnes less fuel, which would allow 1700 Tonnes of extra cargo to be carried on the same size ship., Boston Shannon is between 5 and 6 days sailing time, with an extra 2 days to Rotterdam, so a round trip, allowing a day at each end for loading and unloading, which may be a bit too generous, is 14 days to Shannon, and 18 days to Rotterdam. 26 trips a year to Shannon, just over 20 trips a year to Rotterdam.

For the owner of the goods, the total cost of shipping may not vary much, as there is still the onward rail to Europe costs to consider, for the ship operator, that looks like very helpful maths, and remember, I'm speculating on massive increases in oil prices to deter use and save it for really essential purposes. At present prices, the oil saving would be close on 17,000 per trip, if the price goes up by order of magnitudes, which it will, then it's Monopoly money levels per trip

That could make the costs of putting in all that infrastructure very attractive, given the volumes of goods that move across the Atlantic, and from the Far East, using ships all the way. The distance advantage from Gibralter is only about 300 miles, so less of a saving, assuming that no one builds a suitable port in Italy, France, Spain or Portugal.

It certainly has possibilities for shipping, and maybe for passengers too, I did some working out a while back that with the right turn round, it would just about be possible to do 3 flights a day from Shannon to Boston, which is 1 flight more than can be done from just about any other European airport, so again, significant advantages to an operator that can fill the aircraft, as they get 33% more revenue for the same fixed cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Until high speed rail links are extended to North & South Wales, any sea tunnel isn't going to happen. Swansea to Fishguard - Crewe to Holyhead is the slowest part of the current rail sail journey.

With high speed links, even if extended to Crewe & Swansea, journey times would be reduced further, that would be a more relevant improvement for travellers.

You can travel from London Euston to Dublin Ferryport in under 7 hours at present using high speed ferries according to the latest bahn.de timetables. With higher speed rail links extended that time would drop further as long as trains and ferries are synchronised properly.

A further reduction in rail traveling time makes the proposal for tunnels across the Irish sea not really necessary as that is only a minor part of the journey. It's the rail journey time reduction that would make the real difference for potential travellers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Memo to "Irish Steve": Would you consider running Iarnrod Eireann?
    Would you consider running for public office? ( I would vote for you and I don't know you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

First time I've seen this thread. It's taken an interesting turn more recently, but I don't know much about that, so just to get back to the idea of Dublin-Holyhead passenger services for a minute... Monument's been doing a great job of demolishing the flimsier arguments against this, but I think a quick bullet point reiteration is in order.
    • Talking about problems with existing infrastructure is idiotic, particularly the comments about passing loops and gauge. This would be a megaproject, and would incorporate the building of new stretches of high speed rail on both sides of the Irish Sea (to standard gauge on this side)
    • Linking Holyhead to London would not involve building new track all the way, but building a line from Holyhead to join HS2 at Crewe or nearby.
    • Services would not just be Dublin-London. HS2 would allow for trains to Birmingham and Manchester too. Although HS2 is planned to terminate at Euston initially, it is intended to join it to HS1 at some stage, allowing for through trains to Paris, Brussels, or pretty much anywhere else on the continent. If you think "at some stage" is a bit vague, you'd be right, but it's still a hell of a lot more likely to happen before this ever does.
    • Saying that planes are faster is also idiotic. With high-speed rail, there's a threshold of about four hours, below which it is generally more convenient than air travel, regardless of how short a flight would be. Deutsche Bahn is planning a London-Frankfurt rail service with a travel time of five hours. They believe there's a market for it, and it's only been held up because of technical problems with a train order.
    • "Shure Ryanair will always be cheaper anyway" - more idiocy. We're talking very long term here - anyone who thinks we'll all still be able to fly around Europe for the equivalent of ten quid in 50 years' time just isn't paying attention.

Having said all that, I fully acknowledge that the idea will probably never stand up to cost-benefit analysis. Even if by some miracle it did, it would be an insanely expensive project. We're talking the cost of two channel tunnels and another phase of HS2. Raising the capital for it would be nigh-on impossible.

Furthermore, I think the points being made about lack of benefits to the UK hold water, and any link from North Wales to HS2 would have to be majority Irish-funded.

So it's pretty much never going to happen, but not for the ridiculous reasons that most of the posters in this thread are spouting. I wish this thread had developed into an interesting discussion of the merits and drawbacks of a tunnel, whilst fully acknowledging it's very long-term nature/unlikeliness. Monument tried to do that, by suggesting putting the cost aside for a while, but it wasn't to be. Instead we got inane comments about planes being faster and how you could better spend the money on high-speed ferries. Spare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

leaving cost aside, i think that the thing that would make such a project a non starter would be the unwillingness of the Welsh and English people to allow a new railway line to be built across their country with very little benefit to them. When you consider the opposition being mounted to HS2 at the moment and that it doesn't even link up half of their Country, what chance is there that they'd allow us (effectively) to build a Hi-Speed line across their country?

For any tunnel to be go-er it would have to be from Belfast to Scotland (ie internal UK) with the added benefit of HS3 northwards through England linking Scotland into the system. Even this will never happen!

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    leaving cost aside, i think that the thing that would make such a project a non starter would be the unwillingness of the Welsh and English people to allow a new railway line to be built across their country with very little benefit to them.
    Not only that, but it would present a lot of engineering and environmental challenges considering the terrain along a large section of the North Wales coast, and onward to North Cheshire. The main areas of habitation, along with the A55 and current rail line hug the coast there, with some good sized hills further inland. I'd struggle to see where they could even physically fit in an HS2 line let alone overcome all the local objections on noise grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭cgcsb

leaving cost aside, i think that the thing that would make such a project a non starter would be the unwillingness of the Welsh and English people to allow a new railway line to be built across their country with very little benefit to them. When you consider the opposition being mounted to HS2 at the moment and that it doesn't even link up half of their Country, what chance is there that they'd allow us (effectively) to build a Hi-Speed line across their country?

For any tunnel to be go-er it would have to be from Belfast to Scotland (ie internal UK) with the added benefit of HS3 northwards through England linking Scotland into the system. Even this will never happen!

Excellent point. we've just seen recently how every unionist with an axe to grind in Tyrone was up in arms about the oh so catholic intentions of connecting Donegal to Dublin via their heartland.

well I'm not suggesting a Sectarian opposition to a line across Britain, but there certainly would be a Nimby opposition (to pretty much anything if I know them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

well I'm not suggesting a Sectarian opposition to a line across Britain, but there certainly would be a Nimby opposition (to pretty much anything if I know them!)

Something that would never happen in Ireland? In fact the chances of nimby's stopping it on the Irish side are just if not more likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

tharlear wrote: »
    Something that would never happen in Ireland? In fact the chances of nimby's stopping it on the Irish side are just if not more likely!
    I think the "them" in corktina's post refers to NIMBYs in gerneral, rather than the Welsh. Best not to read into things too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I'd like to make a little prediction!
    These undersea rail links [any of them] will be given the green light in the same year Mary O'Rourke brings the Winter Olympics to Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I'd like to make a little prediction!
    These undersea rail links [any of them] will be given the green light in the same year Mary O'Rourke brings the Winter Olympics to Athlone.

You should know that that can't be true as the Winter Olympics if staged in Ireland will likely be in Mayo

Only the Womens Wrestling will be in Mayo, and only then if we can't get Jello

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Only the Womens Wrestling will be in Mayo, and only then if we can't get Jello

Now you are being just plain silly!
    Everyone knows that they don't do woman's wrestling in the winter olympics.
    Surely?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Will ye keep up please, they are already in training for the wrestling

zuTqS.jpg

Advertisement