Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paypal announcement imminent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I read on here that they had chosen the other location about a month ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I read on here that they had chosen the other location about a month ago?

You read on here that somebody had a meeting in a hotel whereby they order cheapo sandwhiches and stuff whilst signing contracts. Very low key and low brow for a massive IDA deal.

We'll have to wait and see.

50/50 really. Like waiting on results of a job interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Papers are saying that the jobs will be in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

damn misread this
    i thought for a second the pope was resigning

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

M cebee wrote: »
    damn misread this

lol i misread it too, it thought the pope was visiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

M cebee wrote: »
    damn misread this

I thought the Pope was resigning and Father Joe Young was after getting the gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/paypal-to-announce-creation-of-1000-call-centre-jobs-3024630.html
    It was not clear yesterday where the Irish jobs will be created, although it is unlikely to be close to PayPal's headquarters in Dublin.

So Dublin is unlikely...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I thought this was all done and dusted and it was going to be Dundalk, does this mean that we still have a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I thought this was all done and dusted and it was going to be Dundalk, does this mean that we still have a shot?

Yep, yer man was giving unvarified informatino saying it was 'fact' and 'decided already where it was going' etc. So Drifter closed it until he got some facts to back it up, and that he sees a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

so..... any news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭macheda

Announcement been made today I heard on national radio this morning, not too confident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

just announced, the jobs are going to Dundalk, NOT Limerick....sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

banjobongo wrote: »
    just announced, the jobs are going to Dundalk, NOT Limerick....sigh.

We were told this months ago. Just because he didn't have the all important "link" to back it up doesn't mean he was wrong. The poster seemed to know what he was talking about at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ghjnr

Have been following this thread from the sidelines

Just mentioned Dundalk on RTE news. Good news for them. Really disappointing for limerick. Was really hoping for it for us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Ah well on the positive side of things it looks like finally the country is picking back up and eventually Limerick is bound to get a jobs announcement , just have to keep the faith for a little while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Sickened for Limerick, but delighted for all those up the country who will find work from it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Sickened for Limerick, but delighted for all those up the country who will find work from it

People with no ties will flock to Dundalk chasing jobs so locals will have a battle on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Beer Baron wrote: »
    People with no ties will flock to Dundalk chasing jobs so locals will have a battle on their hands.

Very true too, either way Im glad the jobs are being created :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭CONSI

Yeah delighted that jobs are coming to the country but again the mid west is over looked. When is the last time Limerick had a positive news story around jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The reason they chose Dundalk is because Limerick has no Dark Fibre for their telecoms requirements. That Was the clincher. A belated claim there -was- dark fibre in Limerick was not believed by Paypal.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The reason they chose Dundalk is because Limerick has no Dark Fibre for their telecoms requirements. That Was the clincher. A belated claim there -was- dark fibre in Limerick was not believed by Paypal.

any link to this please?

eh not speaking as a mod here...genuinely want to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

We seem to get the worst ministers possible.

Did willie o dea bring a job in over 15 years of the celtic tiger?

M Noonan is only concerned about talking about burning shareholders in banks (not bondholders)

J O sullivan, wouldn't know she's there.

From today's Independent:
    PAYPAL, the US electronic payments company owned by eBay, is expected to announce up to 1,000 new jobs later today.
    It is understood that a number of new call centres will be opened by the online payments processing firm which already employs 1,500 in its European headquarters in Blanchardstown, Dublin.

PayPal will be looking for call centre workers with English and other languages to help customers with accounts, to check documentation from retailers from around the world who want to open accounts and to review transactions for suspicious activity.

The company already has call centres in the Philippines and Salt Lake City, Utah, in the United States.

The announcement, which will be made by the Taoiseach this afternoon, on this scale caps three weeks of good news on the jobs front.

Sky Television announced three weeks ago that it was intending to create 800 jobs in a call centre in Dublin, while IDA-back companies have announced a further 700 jobs from firms planning to open or expand operations in Cork, Kildare, Galway, Sligo. Kilkenny and Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

any link to this please?

eh not speaking as a mod here...genuinely want to know

I heard this late last year from industry sources. Limerick is not in the running for large services announcements because of lack of diverse dark fibre. Neither is Waterford.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I heard this late last year from industry sources. Limerick is not in the running for large services announcements because of lack of diverse dark fibre.

That's a ridiculous claim by whoever made it. what about the MAN's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Beer Baron wrote: »

Nothing wrong with that, more competition for jobs, means the best and most suitable should get the position available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Atleast somewhere in Ireland got it, would I have preferred Limerick, of course but sure what can you do.

On the topic of jobs in Limerick, can anyone remember the last time any announcements were made regarding the creation of new jobs, because I certainly don't.

No one in Limerick makes any noise about this. In fairness to Cork/Galway, if they didn't get a few hundred jobs every month or so, they would make big noise about it.

We let the likes of O Dea parade around the place like heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

campo wrote: »
    Ah well on the positive side of things it looks like finally the country is picking back up and eventually Limerick is bound to get a jobs announcement , just have to keep the faith for a little while longer.

Why is Limerick bound to get such an announcement?

When was the last time Limerick had such an announcement, even during the so called boom years?

Was the last really big job announcement in Limerick way back when Dell arrived?

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Why is Limerick bound to get such an announcement?

When was the last time Limerick had such an announcement, even during the so called boom years?

Was the last really big job announcement in Limerick way back when Dell arrived?

Because the likes of O Dea/Noonan make the promises. The fact that NEVER deliver seems irrelevant!

Advertisement