Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cattle without water

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

All I can say is wow, never expected this reaction,lads.

It depends on how wet your silage is/what kind of animals you're feeding[Cows might only want water every 2-3 days on moist silage]Weanlings on meal will need a fairly constant supply.

Make sure they get a drink twice a week at the very,very least. And be careful giving them water the first time after a drought,they'll have a tendency to drink too much and bloat.If you haven't get water to them NOW and maybe try and insulate the pipe coming out of the well,it'll take some of the pressure off the pump rising it and it should last a lot longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

whelan1 wrote: »
    we did the same and the fecking thing is frozen solid this morning - took 4 hours to do the milking this morning - its just crazy

heres a few ideas that might be worth putting into practive , place red bulbs over the milk line in the parlour , one every two units should suffice , you need to wire up bulb holders and wire a plug to each end ( that or buy an entire infa red unit for each ) and simply plug them all into a lead , screw something into the ceiling so they can hang down over each unit ( relay )

as for the milk pump , place a gas heater in front of it and leave it on the whole night , costly on gas i know but anything is better than thawing out a plant each and every morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Guys, the proper way to deal with frozen pipes long term is "Trace Heating."
    This is a long rubber strip that you cable tie onto a pipe. It has 2 copper wires that run inside the rubber. You plug it in and it gives off a very small amount of heat, something like 60w per metre length. I've used these before at work (off farm) and they work fine.

I know it's a bit late now, it might not freeze for another few years :D but I thought I'd show it anyway. We got ours from a company in the UK but I think ATC in Dublin have them now. You could set them off a thermostat so that they come on automatically. Of course insulation should be wrapped around the whole lot also.

This explains it -
    http://www.traceheatinguk.co.uk/trace-heating/getting-started/step1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

pakalasa wrote: »
    This is a long rubber strip that you cable tie onto a pipe. It has 2 copper wires that run inside the rubber. You plug it in and it gives off a very small amount of heat, something like 60w per metre length. I've used these before at work (off farm) and they work fine.

I know it's a bit late now, it might not freeze for another few years :D but I thought I'd show it anyway. We got ours from a company in the UK but I think ATC in Dublin have them now. You could set them off a thermostat so that they come on automatically. Of course insulation should be wrapped around the whole lot also.

This explains it -
    the only problem with this is where the pipes are frozen under concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

my water supply is also frozen and i am drawing in water but i am supprised how little they drink. maybe they dont drink much in cold weather. they are eating a lot more in the cold weather

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

seems the ones that i am carrying buckets too drink loads while the ones i am feeding with the hose drink feck all:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BawnArd

Just wonder if cattle and cows were let out in field and ate and licked the snow, would that suffice for water????

GOT A DRINKER GOING IN THE YARD TODAY YIPEE!!!!! TOOK ME HALF AN HOUR TO COAX THA WATER OUT BUT ITS ALL GOOD:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Prob be froze again tomoro mornin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

BawnArd wrote: »
    Just wonder if cattle and cows were let out in field and ate and licked the snow, would that suffice for water????
    technically,yes.I don't think they'd lick enough to keep away their thirst and it'd be very dangerous with regards cooling their already cold bodies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

yessam wrote: »
    my water supply is also frozen and i am drawing in water but i am supprised how little they drink. maybe they dont drink much in cold weather. they are eating a lot more in the cold weather

was on to our mineral provider the other day , he recommended warm water be given to cows freshly calved so they take in enough, as he says animals wont like icy water, they may be thirsty as hell but and if given warmer water would drink, he is coming across a few held cleanings in cows that are on a balanced diet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

John_F wrote: »
    was on to our mineral provider the other day , he recommended warm water be given to cows freshly calved so they take in enough, as he says animals wont like icy water, they may be thirsty as hell but and if given warmer water would drink,

They might not like icy water but I've never seen them drink offered warm water after calving either.
    he is coming across a few held cleanings in cows that are on a balanced diet.

So all held cleanings aren't caused by mineral deficiency?:eek:

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

This kind of weather isn't tough on cattle. I have cattle in a shed with access to an open yard. Saw them today they were all out in the yard. Their hair is about an inch long too which helps. It's the driving rain they don't like. Once they have enough to eat (and drink) - no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

pakalasa wrote: »

This explains it -

I've seen them use trace heating on mains water pipes in Norway , and have fitted it myself to heat pipes containing liquid sugar and chocolate and other weird stuff..... Very effective.

DanFindy wrote: »
    Prob be froze again tomoro mornin :p
    not frozen today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

greysides wrote: »
    They might not like icy water but I've never seen them drink offered warm water after calving either.

So all held cleanings aren't caused by mineral deficiency?:eek:

obviosly not straight after pushing out the calf :rolleyes: but cows do drink water after calving specially if the calf is taken away,

i'm only passing on the message, but i presume if a cow isn't getting enough water then the minerals cannot be passed as easy through the intestinal wall, and aswell shes more than likely not happy, and using energy to keep her body warm and other processes will sacrifice

Role of water : 1. Brain is 75% water. Moderate dehydration can cause headaches and dizziness

2. Water is required for expiration

3. Regulates body temperature

4. Carries nutrients and oxygen to all cells in the body

5. Blood is 92% water

6. Moistens oxygen for breathing

7. Protects and cushions vital organs

8. Helps to convert food into energy

9. Helps body absorb nutrients

10. Removes waste

11. Bones are 22% water

12. Muscles are 75% water

13. Cushions joints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

My brother is travelling a mile every day back and forth a few times with barrels of water for his cattle. I wouldn't let them go any longer than a couple of days without water. Yes they can survive without for a bit longer but it wouldn't hurt to bring them a few barrels surely. And don't give them any ration while they're without water, just silage. Hope the water problem gets sorted soon for you all.

....I thought that if I got sick somewhere like Kenya it'd be like Oh my God...

We need a laugh in this weather..
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

I have 65 spring heifers out on kale and silage(wet ish), the water to the paddocks was turned off 4 days ago incase of pipes bursting down the feilds, any way the water level of the 300gl through has only droped by 4 inchs in that time. id say that the most ot that drop was due to ice being removed every day. from these observations the heifers have drank little if any water over the peroid wheather they are not keen on the iced water or just dont need it, im not sure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If you're completely stuck, try giving them some snow to lick on. Obviously it's not an ideal solution but it would tie them over for a bit to give you a chance to get water for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Or if you can find huge chunks of ice offer them this too for licking.

good bit of a thaw here so hopefully tomorrow there will be water flowing again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

dar31 wrote: »
    I have 65 spring heifers out on kale and silage(wet ish), the water to the paddocks was turned off 4 days ago incase of pipes bursting down the feilds, any way the water level of the 300gl through has only droped by 4 inchs in that time. id say that the most ot that drop was due to ice being removed every day. from these observations the heifers have drank little if any water over the peroid wheather they are not keen on the iced water or just dont need it, im not sure
    I have had cattle grazing kale over the years and they hardly ever went near the water trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tedandbetty

I never expected such a reply to my initial post.

anyway heres the latest update.

after a week without water i got a couple of 40 gallon barrels and started drawing water and as i expected the cattle were thirsty, at first i though they would nexer stop drinking but after a gallon or 2 each each they just stopped, i know the water was very cold which proably limited their water intake. one whitehead did go a bit overboard on the water and started shivering for a while afterwards.
    on sunday i headed off with more water to them but to my surprise they had little interest in drinking any with some refusing any water at all.

it did increase the amount of silage they were eating as some of the newer bales were a bit on the dry side.

hope fully inanother day or 2 water will return when things thaw a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Penelope Powerful Quadrangle

how long can cattle go (only getting silage) without water?
    every pipe i have is frozen. they are fine at the moment but they have no water for the last week.

a week?:eek:

get a blow torch to the pipes, i had to do this to all the pipes in the sheads last sat. left a tap slightly running at the end of the line to keep everything moving. they are ok now, bit of a thaw, was -10 some nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭cjpm

networks wrote: »
    jeez go easy on him lads,im feeding round bales of gud silage which has brown water dripping out of it(baled in early june/perfect conditions)?? and they dont go to water trough all even tho its full of water and ballcock frozen

Extract from John Shirley's article in todays independent....

"Some farmers in our area don't get excited about providing water for housed livestock if they are only getting silage. Some years ago, when cattle drinkers were frozen, it was noticed that the cattle still thrived without added drinking water. The only difference was that the straw beds stayed a lot drier. So, when the thaw came, the farmers left the drinkers turned off and they have stayed off ever since. The sky hasn't fallen. The cattle adjust to lower fluid intake.
    It would make an interesting trial for Teagasc to see if providing added water does anything for livestock being wintered largely, or fully, on silage"

- John Shirley
    Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭adne

cjpm wrote: »
    Extract from John Shirley's article in todays independent....

"Some farmers in our area don't get excited about providing water for housed livestock if they are only getting silage. Some years ago, when cattle drinkers were frozen, it was noticed that the cattle still thrived without added drinking water. The only difference was that the straw beds stayed a lot drier. So, when the thaw came, the farmers left the drinkers turned off and they have stayed off ever since. The sky hasn't fallen. The cattle adjust to lower fluid intake.
    It would make an interesting trial for Teagasc to see if providing added water does anything for livestock being wintered largely, or fully, on silage"

- John Shirley
    Irish Independent

IMO this is bull s***........ animals need water......

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wallycool

I was told if you have any animal that is dry for a long time and all of a sudden you give them alot of water they can over dose on it .... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

During the frost we were giving drinks with IBC tank on the front loader and half barrels, the cattle were drinking plenty and it needed doing every day..
    Our neighbour let his out to the river every three days and there was a stampeed down the field where they would have their heads down for 20minutes drinking...
    Then I heard today of a clown down the road who had no water with calved cows for 10days and wasn't bothered..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭adne

wallycool wrote: »
    I was told if you have any animal that is dry for a long time and all of a sudden you give them alot of water they can over dose on it .... :pac:

they don't overdose but can end up getting twisted gut.......

Advertisement