Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biggest loss ever...

Options
  • 31-03-2009 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Talked to a friend of mine recently who told me he'd be happy to blow 25 grand on an X5 he's had for ages just to get shot of it. I know we've been blowing money on cars all year 3 and 4 grand on loads of yokes but have any of the trade boys here blown more than 25 or heard of a big pill being swallowed by someone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The biggest i've heard of recently was 12.5k on a 08 Audi TT. He was being offered it @ 30k!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I've heard of bigger...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I know of an M5 which has halved in value. From about 170k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Took a 10K hit on a Disco passenger, and about the same on a C180k Auto.

If we were looking at 25k I'm sure I could find another unsuspecting punter for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Guy in work talking to a dealer who let a €41K car (Dodge of some sort I think) go for €25K.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

ned78 wrote: »
    I know of an M5 which has halved in value. From about 170k.

An M5 is not €170k is it? Thats ridiculous if it is. 2008 M5s are on autotrader for £50k

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Geoff845

€33K is the biggest yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

samsemtex wrote: »
    An M5 is not €170k is it? Thats ridiculous if it is. 2008 M5s are on autotrader for £50k

I know a guy in West Cork with this M5, original sale price €180k (he picked it up a year or two old I think:
    M5noreg-1.jpg

I'd say it is definitely worth less than half the money now. (I used it for my wedding along as a grooms mans' car, what a machine, I got to the church way to early! :D

Still memories of it...some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Perhaps Op we have the same friend who paid € 64 K in 07 for an 06 X5
    will now accept or looking for offers above € 25 K .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

M5noreg-1.jpg

Nice colour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭biggybum

I know a guy in West Cork with this M5, original sale price €180k (he picked it up a year or two old I think:
    M5noreg-1.jpg

I'd say it is definitely worth less than half the money now. (I used it for my wedding along as a grooms mans' car, what a machine, I got to the church way to early! :D

Still memories of it...some day...

No offence mate i know that car and i know who owns it !! He did'nt pay close to what your saying €180k ???? for an m5 thats just laughable, he only bought this the middle of last year in Bolands Waterford City and traded in a 6 series coupe !! I think this car retailed @ approx 80k so he's pulling your leg with €180k just look at what you can buy these year old for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

biggybum wrote: »
    I think this car retailed @ approx 80k so he's pulling your leg with €180k just look at what you can buy these year old for

List price new is €156,000 now.

and that price went up after the emmisions last july i'm sure you could have bought this car new in 06 for €140k new !! €180k is just fairytale. A year old one of these can drop approx 60k in its first year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

and that price went up after the emmisions last july i'm sure you could have bought this car new in 06 for €140k new !! €180k is just fairytale. A year old one of these can drop approx 60k in its first year

He said that he picked it up a year or two old...plus you could easily push it towards 170/180k with some options

EDIT - Just had a look there. One of the leather options alone is €12k:eek:

I think this car retailed @ approx 80k so he's pulling your leg with €180k just look at what you can buy these year old for

Hi biggybum, that's what I said, original price. When I said original price I meant retail price, oh how words on a screen don't convey meaning properly like a face to face conversation!

BTW Oh, if you meet him & decide to tell him there's a pic up on the net, make sure to emphasise the reg is blocked, he's a big man & I don't want him to kill me! :D:D:D

as stated i know the car and i know there is'nt 30/40k worth of extras on it !! Most m5's come standard with more or less everything on them anyway. The car was originally owned by a business man in Cahir Co.Tipp. Anyway i ain't trying to be awkward just saying that they drop like a stone in value the same as anything in that league

Hi biggybum, that's what I said, original price. When I said original price I meant retail price, oh how words on a screen don't convey meaning properly like a face to face conversation!

BTW Oh, if you meet him & decide to tell him there's a pic up on the net, make sure to emphasise the reg is blocked, he's a big man & I don't want him to kill me! :D:D:D

lol i know he aint to be messed with but sound fella all the same !!

lol i know he aint to be messed with but sound fella all the same !!

He is dead on, he is a friend of a friend, he was sound to lend it to me & he even hung on for the wedding, gas man!

He could have been pulling my leg but I just went on to the www.BMW.ie "car configurator" & tried my best to remember the spec of the car & it came out at €173,098. Close enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

There was a guy selling a 2007 XJR in the Indo classifieds pages recently. November '07, fully loaded. Cost him 146,000, was looking for 70,000
    Now that's a bitter pill to swallow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Imagine owning one of these - now that would just be unbearable!!

Even the fat cats who own one must wince at the depreciation!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Geoff845

EPM wrote: »
    He said that he picked it up a year or two old...plus you could easily push it towards 170/180k with some options

EDIT - Just had a look there. One of the leather options alone is €12k:eek:

The most expensive M5 i've seen was €175K for an individual model and that was after July 08 but rest assured it didnt go for that. If he paid more than €100K for a 2 year old model than he's a fool, especially that colour

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Geoff845 wrote: »
    especially that colour

One of the nicer colours on the M5 IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

Amazing dealers taking huge hits on fresh or large cars, where others are complete eijits where refusing offers for unsellable cars.

Offered fair value to a big Limerick dealer for an 11yr old, leggy, big engined, high powered, broken, crash repaired on 2 occasions, no historied, well used, auto, 4wd, sitting in the yard since Oct '07, imported Volvo V70 and he completely refused the price I was willing to pay for the car (what it was worth - 2k, I even had the money in my pocket) kept me hanging for over a week - I just needed something cheap,big and interesting, but still refused to come down to reality on the price. He wanted 4k.....so it still sits on his forecourt while I drive my much newer, less mileaged, fully historied, never damaged, BMW touring for only 2k more :)

Frikkin' idiot.

Oh...and there was another in Dublin who wouldn't budge on the sticker price for another example of the same car that ended up as in much worse condition....that the lying little toad described as completely "perfect" , never painted or any other blah blah blah
    Sorry mate, a car that's been painted front and rear, looks like an engine was out of it, interior shagged and still needing the front and rear painted...again, with a new bumper required is NOT FRIKKIN PERFECT. (also sitting there for nearly a year :rolleyes:)

While I applaud and feel some pain for the guys taking big hits to shift big metal, the 2 examples above are plain stupid. BTW the delaer I did buy the BMW off was brilliant, no fuss or BS, agreed a price immediatley and drove off...happy days !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

M5noreg-1.jpg..

Small world - I say this very M5 today! Being driven rather sedately too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

No one mentioned Porsches? Isnt there a strange situation at the moment due to a variety of factors where new '09 Porsches have dropped in price to the level or '07 ones?

That would make the used price on a Porsche take a double beating, once from rapid depreciation and then from the "new" pricing changes.

Advertisement