Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mercury Poisoning?

• 18-10-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

My friend has been experiencing serious memory loss of late, and the doctor has been no help. She's been eating 3+ large tins of tuna per week for years so thinks she may have mercury poisoning. Apparently there is no way of testing for this (according to the doctor).

Has anyone got any advice on this matter. It's making me quite concerned.

She is 28 by the way

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

sue z wrote: »
    Apparently there is no way of testing for this (according to the doctor).
    Well played that man.

Tell your friend she doesn't have mercury poisoning and to stop wasting her doctor's time with self-diagnosed ailments off the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Well played that man.

Tell your friend she doesn't have mercury poisoning and to stop wasting her doctor's time with self-diagnosed ailments off the internet.
    the above and i might add this - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/09/29/dr-perlmutter-gluten.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

Well played that man.

Nice of you to be straight in there with a condescending statement like that. You must be a lovely person.

honestly there is very little chance is mercury IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

Transform wrote: »
    honestly there is very little chance is mercury IMO

I understand that, was just looking for other peoples experience with memory loss at such a young age.
    As the Doctor wasn't any help I thought I'd ask for advice on here to see if anyone has had any similar experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd tell your friend to go to a doctor whose name isn't Doctor Nick Riviera. But it's highly unlikely to be mercury poisoning since I've had more fish and tinned fish than your friend over a longer period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Well played that man.

Serious memory loss is nothing to be trivial about.

But no, it's probably not mercury poisoning. Tell your friend to go to a different doctor and tell him her symptoms and not go trying to suggest anything she's googled or she'll just sound like a hypochondriac.

And there are several ways to test for mercury poisoning, such as blood tests, urine samples and hair samples. None are surefire but its definitely not the case of having to just shrug and move on.

sue z wrote: »
    I understand that, was just looking for other peoples experience with memory loss at such a young age.
    As the Doctor wasn't any help I thought I'd ask for advice on here to see if anyone has had any similar experiences.
    id have a rubbish memory if i -
    A) took little to no exercise

B) wasn't getting adequate rest

c) had some means to deal with lifes daily stress e.g. meditation, exercise, friends to talk to etc

d) overall diet was filled with wheat, sugar and vegetable oil

best to deal with the low hanging fruit first

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

can measure this . I believe that there is a genetic mutation that allows it to accumulate more readily in some people.

Advertisement