Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The year is 1990....

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned the Peugeot 605 2.1 Diesel Turbo:

peugeot-605-3-0-12-v-2.jpg

Probably one of the best looking barges at the time. Used the same platform as the XM and 164. My old man's boss at the time had one of these. They had a poor image though as they were jsut seen as a big 405.

My dad had one of them :D It was quick.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

What about the Opel Senator...or did they reek of MEP's and foreign dignitaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

BMW 518i? price and "performance" were about the same as some of the cars on that list.

I'd probably go for the XM or R25. In 1990 the R25 had just received a 140 bhp 2.0 litre engine and that combined with the car's light weight made it a relatively good performer.

The list of cars and the spec/perfomance etc. available does go to show how things have changed. Also many of those cars were shown to have very bad safety when crash tested by Auto Motor und Sport even though the tests wer significantly easier than today's EuroNCAP ones. See video below. The Saab 9000 isn't in the video but it was done on another occasion and also found to offer poor protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Buy German (except the BMW) and Swedish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Went for the Audi simply because its German, no other reason really!

I thin its worth noting here just how much power these car actually had:

Citroen XM: 2.0 petrol - 112bhp
    Opel Omega 2.0 - 99bhp
    Audi 100 - 89bhp
    Renault 25 2.0 - 101bhp(carburettor:eek:)
    Saab 9000 2.0 - 130bhp
    Rover 820 - 136bhp

How does that affect the choice?:D

The Audi 100 from the OPs picture (which was 91 on) was 120 bhp base model in 2.0. There wasnt a 1.8 in that model as far as I know. It was also a multipoint injection job whereas the audi 80 of 91 on continued with the single point injection for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'd probably go for the Saab but I'd be tempted by the XM. The XM never had the grace of the CX (been re-captured in todays C6 tho I reckon).

I'd have gone to the fleet manager and tried to wrangle an Alfa 164 I think. Loved those cars.

I'm amazed so many have voted for a car (the XM) who's electrics were rather infamous among those in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm amazed so many have voted for a car (the XM) who's electrics were rather infamous among those in the know.

Company car, who gives a sh1t if the electrics give loads of trouble. Now if this was a poll about privately owned cars, few would have gone for the XM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

mickdw wrote: »
    The Audi 100 from the OPs picture (which was 91 on) was 120 bhp base model in 2.0. There wasnt a 1.8 in that model as far as I know. It was also a multipoint injection job whereas the audi 80 of 91 on continued with the single point injection for a few years.

Not too sure tbh! Just took that data from the wikipedia article:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BrianD3 wrote: »
    BMW 518i? price and "performance" were about the same as some of the cars on that list.

That made me want to do a quick lookup. The prices between the cars in the list and others mentioned varied greatly. These are the original list prices in Euro in the Netherlands of the base models of these cars in 1990:

R25 - 18k
    100 - 20k (before Audi went all premium on us :D)
    XM - 22k (that suspension was never cheap)
    518 - 26k
    9000 - 26k :eek:
    820 - 22k
    164 - 22k
    Merc 200 - 30k
    Omega - 17k
    740 - 20k

And for junkyard - a 735 was about 60k :D
    Greenman wrote: »
    In the early 80's I was in love with a 3 litre Monza.

Me too :D

My favourite Opel ever!
    My dad had one of them :D It was quick.... :cool:

Yeah. 110BHP and 0-100km/h in 13s :p

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah. 110BHP and 0-100km/h in 13s :p

Ah now 3rd gear 30-50 and 4th gear 50-70 mph would be quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the year is 1990 ....
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38469/55137.jpg :D indeed

but from the list I'd go for the whacky Citroen, but only because the Saab isn't the turbo version

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Id take the saab.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

peasant wrote: »

That was somebodies company car too :D
    mike65 wrote: »
    Ah now 3rd gear 30-50 and 4th gear 50-70 mph would be quick.

The VAG TDI (original pocket rocket) was faster... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Saab Ed wrote: »
    The year is 1990. You've just been made head of your department and transport have just given you the list of what car you can have. The list is as follows:

CITROEN-XM-2-0-SX--1997-2000-.jpg
    Citroen XM 2.0

omega_sedan_r.jpg
    Opel Omega 2.0

1993.audi.100.338-300x189.jpg
    Audi 100 1.8

R25_turbo_002.jpg
    Renault 2.0

9000cc_85.jpg
    Saab 9000i ( Non Turbo )

820_5d.jpg
    Rover 820

You forgot a very important and worthwhile addition, which I'll stick with, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

BrianD3 wrote: »

I'd probably go for the XM or R25. In 1990 the R25 had just received a 140 bhp 2.0 litre engine and that combined with the car's light weight made it a relatively good performer.

The list of cars and the spec/perfomance etc. available does go to show how things have changed. Also many of those cars were shown to have very bad safety when crash tested by Auto Motor und Sport even though the tests wer significantly easier than today's EuroNCAP ones. See video below. The Saab 9000 isn't in the video but it was done on another occasion and also found to offer poor protection.

Thanks for that, pity it was in German though. I'd think i'd take the Volvo 740 in a crash, seems to have had the least cabin intrusion of any of those tested. The 90s were a decade of great progress in safety; had you tested the equivalent peers of these cars in year 2000 the results would have been far different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

mfitzy wrote: »
    Thanks for that, pity it was in German though. I'd think i'd take the Volvo 740 in a crash, seems to have had the least cabin intrusion of any of those tested.
    The Volvo was strong but the dummy's head hit the wheel hard enough to cause a serious head injury. The Audi, BMW and Mercedes performed the best. The Audi was not part of the original batch of cars, it was tested a year or two later as was the Saab 9000. Here is the results summary, it is in German but easy to work out.
    http://www.autocrashtest.de/unterseiten/am_fr_55_obere.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

See what you mean. All green for those models. I see the Fiat is all Rot Rot Rot :D. How appropriate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

oh i remember...my dad wound up buying a granada 2.0 ghia around then. It was one of the ex lord mayors cars in cork so had a c-1 reg. Was a year or two afterwards 1990 though. My aunt had it as her wedding car the year after it was the lord mayors and my dad drove it for the wedding. Bought it the following monday. Mighty yoke...loved the velour seats. Had hubcaps though! Around the same time the same aunt got a year old 9000 2.0...got robbed never to be seen again but it gets my vote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

C'mon Guys...there's a bloody Audi winning the Poll. :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ToyotaCamry.JPG

A completely different car compared to the one that followed in 1991, but still not a bad option. To consider that this has gone from being "average sized" to "massive" in the space of 15 years. These cars are of a lost segment unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Heh, my Micra is a 1990...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

3rd went to the Saab, 2nd to the Opel but Im suprised to say that 1st went to the Audi..........Ye big bunch of badge snobs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

i went for the 25 and still have it renault 027.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

omega

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

EPM wrote: »
    oh i remember...my dad wound up buying a granada 2.0 ghia around then. It was one of the ex lord mayors cars in cork so had a c-1 reg. Was a year or two afterwards 1990 though. My aunt had it as her wedding car the year after it was the lord mayors and my dad drove it for the wedding. Bought it the following monday. Mighty yoke...loved the velour seats. Had hubcaps though! Around the same time the same aunt got a year old 9000 2.0...got robbed never to be seen again but it gets my vote...

Those sort of cars interest me. I have known of a few people with the Dublin Lord Mayor Volvo's and I have always aspired to own one.

Do you know if the car is still around btw?

Advertisement