Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Edge 520 Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Strava is turning into such a Fredfest. I saw one guy last week get 30 odd kudos for an unremarkable 20K return trip to work. Some of the comments too...you'd have to wonder are these well adjusted adults at all.

I'd love to get rid of the kudos button.

Reminds me. Have to figure out how to block some random Mirkin Triathlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Cycle Super Store have them in Tallaght.
    It's not on their website. Or do they not update it very often?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I think what I saw were "bundle packs" I recall the '20 one being around 225.

The '25 was a fair bit more.

You'd get 5% off that.

Not sure what you mean by '20 and '25? 5% off just by asking in the store or is it some offer?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Ging and I

Its a real shame Garmin don't make the "GPS' part work reliably before the add all these "extra" functions.
    If it could only follow point to point mapping with out turning off or suddenly wants to go home, then it would actually be a GPS.... which is what it is sold as.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,258 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Strava is turning into such a Fredfest. I saw one guy last week get 30 odd kudos for an unremarkable 20K return trip to work. Some of the comments too...you'd have to wonder are these well adjusted adults at all.

There may have been a back story, the guy could be 40 stone, back on the bike after a serious accident, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

HotSwap wrote: »
    Anyone here know where I can get one of these in Dublin? Would like to get it tomorrow if possible.

If you are talking about the 520, I don't think they are out for a few more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Unfollow them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

ted1 wrote: »
    There may have been a back story, the guy could be 40 stone, back on the bike after a serious accident, etc.

Like I said, it was unremarkable. And its quite common.

It raises some interesting points on the commodification of ' success ' , but probably for another discussion.

Apologies for going OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Just updated my 510 with a new firmware bundle, this enables it to run the strava live segments. A few pointers for anyone doing the same.
    You need to be a premium strava member to activate this function.
    You have to "star" the segments you wish to follow on your strava rides.
    Your garmin account and your strava account need to be synced.
    When the firmware is updated and everything is synced you still have to go into the device itself and enable the segments from the training pages.
    It's an easy enough process from start to finish, i'll head out for a quick spin during the week and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Just updated my 510 with a new firmware bundle, this enables it to run the strava live segments. A few pointers for anyone doing the same.
    You need to be a premium strava member to activate this function.
    You have to "star" the segments you wish to follow on your strava rides.
    Your garmin account and your strava account need to be synced.
    When the firmware is updated and everything is synced you still have to go into the device itself and enable the segments from the training pages.
    It's an easy enough process from start to finish, i'll head out for a quick spin during the week and see how it goes.
    Did the same with my 810 today. Went for a spin, went through a local segment. It said "Go" and thats all the info I got. Got fed up and switched the garmin off. Must check it out properly during the week.

• Advertisement

Got a stock alert from Wiggle saying the 520 is now in stock.
    Cheapest I've seen is on Garmins own website 306e, although it had an odd message saying that may not be the final price you get charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Did the same with my 810 today. Went for a spin, went through a local segment. It said "Go" and thats all the info I got. Got fed up and switched the garmin off. Must check it out properly during the week.
    Tried it yesterday on my 510, thought I was behind on a segment when I was actually ahead. I'm sure it had me behind too so not sure.
    Not 100% convinced on the software but it could be good.

TheTubes wrote: »
    Got a stock alert from Wiggle saying the 520 is now in stock.
    Cheapest I've seen is on Garmins own website 306e, although it had an odd message saying that may not be the final price you get charged?

I got the bundle direct from Garmin for €388

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

212 Stg

here

oops just noticed free delivery to mainland UK so maybe PM mightn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

As far as I can tell this is the cheapest price in Ireland.
    http://gottarun.ie/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=736

290 for the unit 372 for the bundle. I've ordered, Can't wait to go chasing strava KOMs :pac: :rolleyes:

Top drawer retailer too, used them loads of times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Same here, went through 2 local segments and got the "go" after that not a lot, some tiny messages i couldn't make out, very under whelmed :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Same here, went through 2 local segments and got the "go" after that not a lot, some tiny messages i couldn't make out, very under whelmed :-(

if you really want to drill it on a segment it'd be handier to get a 50 metre heads up notification re the start so you can get your speed up not a sudden 'go!'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,258 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BTH wrote: »
    As far as I can tell this is the cheapest price in Ireland.
    http://gottarun.ie/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=736

290 for the unit 372 for the bundle. I've ordered, Can't wait to go chasing strava KOMs :pac: :rolleyes:

Top drawer retailer too, used them loads of times. :)
    If you join triathlon England for £24 you get 25% off garmin products.
    http://www.triathlonengland.org/membership/benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

ted1 wrote: »
    If you join triathlon England for £24 you get 25% off garmin products.
    http://www.triathlonengland.org/membership/benefits

But then as a cyclist you'd have to class yourself as a triathlete? :eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Can't decide whether I need the 520 or the 810.

I was expecting an 820 to be announced but I can't find any info about it online.

Anyone with the 520 find the maps any use? I believe they're fairly streamlined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

I got the bundle direct from Garmin for €388

Did they bundle contain the new type speed and cadence sensors?

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Did they bundle contain the new type speed and cadence sensors?
    Yes. I had the gsc10 cadence sensor, but I always had problems with it, it only worked randomly. The new one is way better and portable between bikes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

What does "Shimano Di2 integration" mean I wonder?

Can it run itself off the integrated seatpost battery I wonder? Or does it jtrack your gearchanges?

Fian wrote: »

Can it run itself off the integrated seatpost battery I wonder? Or does it jtrack your gearchanges?

Afaik there is an ant+ module that you can wire in to your di2 setup and you can see the current gear combo and battery on the edge.
    More from Ray

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Watch the new cadence sensor, I lost one off my bike. The rubber strap must have snapped. New one secured with zip tie also

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Resurrecting this with a question for 520 users.
    Are you happy with the purchase and how well are the new features working? Any garmin glitches?

I had a 500, lost it over a month ago, was going to replace it with another 500, but the 520 was then announced.
    Read up on the 520, I am not sure I will use the extra options as I don't have a power meter.

The spanner in the works is that Aldi are going to sell the 500 for 109 euro next week. At that price is the 520 worth the extra?

Thanks
    Ruari

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Resurrecting this with a question for 520 users.
    Are you happy with the purchase and how well are the new features working? Any garmin glitches?

I had a 500, lost it over a month ago, was going to replace it with another 500, but the 520 was then announced.
    Read up on the 520, I am not sure I will use the extra options as I don't have a power meter.

The spanner in the works is that Aldi are going to sell the 500 for 109 euro next week. At that price is the 520 worth the extra?

Thanks
    Ruari

Depends on what you want it for I guess.
    For me the big draw was the mapping.
    I plan routes on ridewithgps and I always get lost or have to check my phone at every junction.
    I've only been on a couple of spins with the 520 so far but am really happy with the mapping on it. Updating the default base map is a must.

I'm coming from a 310xt so the 520 was a big step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Fian wrote: »

It doesn't run off the Di2 seat post battery or any Di2 battery.

It does track your gear changes. It displays the gear(s) you are using in various ways. It also has a special screen to show you what's what when you are indexing your gears on the "fly"

Also shows how much charge is left in your Di2 battery.

That's about it really.

Using D-Fly will reduce your Di2 battery by about 50% though.

It doesn't run off the Di2 seat post battery or any Di2 battery.

It does track your gear changes. It displays the gear(s) you are using in various ways. It also has a special screen to show you what's what when you are indexing your gears on the "fly"

That's about it really.

Worth noting that you need an additional di2 component in your setup to broadcast ant+.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-sm-eww01-wireless-unit-for-e-tube-di2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

TheTubes wrote: »
    Featuring live Strava segments (and other stuff too)

DC Rainmaker seems to be impressed.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/garmin-edge-520.html

Edit:
    Follow up post by DC Rainmaker on the live Strava segment feature included on the 520 (510, 810 and 1000 will get it in an update)

Upgraded my 510 for the 520 - well worth it! . Maps are great ! Seeing texts and who is phoning you is very handy... You can choose to ignore the call and there is no need to stop to see who is phoning you . Live segments , and a host of other features make it a very slick device. Well impressed to date

Advertisement