Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I in Castleknock or Blanchardstown parish?

• 15-09-2011 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

recently moved to the area, Old Navan Road...near Brady's pub and want to know if I am in Castleknock or Blanchardstown parish? I was reading the admission policies for the local schools and places are allocated by parish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

MBH2003 wrote: »
    recently moved to the area, Old Navan Road...near Brady's pub and want to know if I am in Castleknock or Blanchardstown parish? I was reading the admission policies for the local schools and places are allocated by parish.

I would say Blanchardstown, I believe the canal is the divider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

http://maps.fingalcoco.ie/LocationPublisher/Layout1.aspx

Divider of what? the townland or the parish? You'd have to ask the church what the parish boundaries are. They change sometimes.

The real issue is the schools catchment and admission policy. They should have it listed in their admissions policy, probably on the school website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MBH2003

...I've checked out the school websites and both Castleknock and Blanchardstown admission policy is based on parish boundaries....I wonder how strict they are?

It will depend on demand. If they have places to fill then theres no problem. Big pressure on many schools in the area. Dunno about those two. RIng the school secretary and ask them.

The school HAS to have an enrolment policy they can send you out. Its the school job. Not the local GAA, or Priest whatever. Just ring them.

What school will my child attend?

There are over 3,200 primary schools in the country. Children normally attend their local school. You can send your child to the primary school of your choice, as long as there is a place for them. While most primary schools can enrol all the children who apply, there is no guarantee of a place in the local school.

How do I enrol my child in primary school?

To enrol your child, you should first check the list of primary schools in your area. You should contact the school of your choice to see if there is a place available. If a school is full, it may not be able to enrol your child. The school may place your child on a waiting list or suggest another school in the area.

If they do not have enough places, the school will give priority according to their admissions policy. For example, they may give priority to brothers and sisters of current pupils or to children living in the local area. This policy is decided by the board of management of the school. The school can give you a copy if you ask for it.

When choosing a primary school, you may also need to know about the admissions policies of post-primary schools. Some post-primary schools give priority to students from certain primary schools.

What is an admissions policy?

The admissions policy sets out the school's policy for enrolling children in the school. Schools that cannot enrol all the pupils who want to attend must have an admissions policy according to the Education Act. The school's board of management draws up this policy. They may choose to only enrol children from a particular area or age group. The admissions policy must be in line with section 7 of the Equal Status Act 2000.

An admissions policy may also be called an enrolment policy. A school will give you information about their policy if you ask them for it.

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=10856&ecategory=41358&sectionpage=12251&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=37554

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MBH2003

Thanks, I'll ring the school.

Advertisement