Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it Now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I officially hate you now Dpop:rolleyes: around 300kms swam in the pool since i started (a lot of junk kms) and i only have my 50 time down to 41secs.
    Seems you are enjoying the variety and benefits that swimming and biking brings not to mention the running benefits you will no doubt see from it.
    Oryx wrote: »
    I hate you too. I'm swimming two years and your times are still just a way off dream.

*sulks*

HTFU, both of you;)

Without wishing to sound smug, I'm surprised myself at the relative ease of the times. I haven't swam in a few years, but I guess all the 1,000's of running km count for something. I'm pretty tall, with a decent reach, so I suppose that's in my favour for the stroke. When I was a kid we had good instructors, who drilled form into us. The immediate impact I'm noticing is how swims are opening up my lungs on runs. Great crossover benefits.

Both of you would blow me away on the bike though, I'm carrying way too much weight to be in any way fast on the bike:o

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My bike sucks too, and weight is not a limiter on a bike. :) I take consolation from the fact that I never learned to swim properly till now, and my first sprint tri 18 months ago I nearly needed rescue and ended up doing most of the swim backstroke cos I couldnt breathe!

You do sound smug btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yo DeePop

Sh!t, I'm wit ya, I ain't mad at cha
    got nottin' but love for ya
    do your thing boy... :D
    HTFU, both of you;)

holla at them hoochies!

You do sound smug btw.

Yeah, I am :). I said I only wished I didn't sound smug, never mastered the art of hiding schadenfreude.

If you've only learnt swimming, you'll get a lot faster as your stroke improves. I can get into the pool and swim badly if I don't focus on my stroke- the key things I was taught as a kid were;
    1) Anytime the arms are under water, they're you're motor. Focus on effort throughout the underwater phase. Bend the elbow a bit to keep the arms strong.
    2) Hands are paddles, open the fingers a little to see if this works better for you.
    3) Bilateral breathing will help straight line form.

That's either swimming 101, or really bad advice, I don't know, but they are the things I focus on for the moment. Lots to be improved on yet, though.

Yo DeePop

holla at them hoochies!

Yeah but you're on 33 secs for 50m. I hate you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Yo DeePop

holla at them hoochies!

I think Shotgun is drunk.

Or he's been listening to Tupac on the turbo...

Thurs 8k run, including 10x400m intervals.

There's a crappy track in Arklow, long since forgotten by any maintenance crews, which is populated by dog walkers as a handy place to walk while their dogs defecate on the infield. It's stoney, uneven in places, strewn with broken glass- but for a chap used to measuring distances by peaks, its perfect for measured intervals. So, with a chill wind coming in off the adjacent Irish Sea, I parked and warmed up with a couple of laps, before launching into the 400's.

First one came in at 82 secs, and felt tough. Jogged for 200m, and repeated. By the third, they were an effort, and I started the lies, just get 5 done today; ahh make it six; ok do 8 and we'll go home, I promise; g'wan one more for the road, easy pace, well not easy pace; sure we may as well make the ten, and go eyeballs out. Then they were done, all between 82-85 secs. They were tough, especially into the wind on the backstraight (? no markings), but then they are meant to be tough. I'll keep the amount at 10, and try and bring them down towards 80 secs each over the next few months. My sub 5min mile has 4 of them at 74 secs in a row, gulp!

Fri 2.25k swim

First 2k was all in one go, time was 39:xx. Felt ok during it, losing form towards the end when fatigue was making itself known, but slowing, and concentrating on a good stroke, actually made me go faster, if that makes any sense. A spell in the sauna listening to some overweight clown discuss his bad back loudly and in great detail, (lose some weight and spend your sauna time in the pool dude), ten more lengths to warm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fri 2.25k swim

First 2k was all in one go, time was 39:xx. Felt ok during it, losing form towards the end when fatigue was making itself known, but slowing, and concentrating on a good stroke, actually made me go faster, if that makes any sense. A spell in the sauna listening to some overweight clown discuss his bad back loudly and in great detail, (lose some weight and spend your sauna time in the pool dude), ten more lengths to warm down.
    Very impressed and very jealous, in equal measure. If I could swim 2k, I'd be all over the tri event like a hot snot. Go easy on the clowns. We're overweight. It's in our nature.

Very impressed and very jealous, in equal measure. If I could swim 2k, I'd be all over the tri event like a hot snot. Go easy on the clowns. We're overweight. It's in our nature.

I'd say with your aerobic capability and endurance, you'd have no trouble with swimming 2k (and beyond). Certainly I find it a lot easier to do than before, having now had 5 years of marathon training behind me.

You. Overweight. Funny Clown you are.:)

• Advertisement

Sat 13k, with 10k steady, 3k barefoot

I bumped into SJ running around his forest, so was happy to tag along for a couple of loops with him. Always better to run when you can have a chat. There was a local GAA fella doing loops too, at a very decent pace. Turns out he's a referee at county level, who wants to get fit so he can ref the All-Irelands. Judging by his pace, and the way he was attacking the uphills, it won't be his fitness that holds him back, anyway.

Pace was steady, after a couple of loops I headed back to watch junior train for his rugby. Did a few laps barefoot, the ground was forgiving and felt great underfoot. On the Gaa lads recommendation, I immersed the legs into the icy river in Aughrim, for two minutes. Freezing, but they feel good now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

"dp in back running SHOCK"

Nice run this morning. Lost count of the loops. Thought it was 5, but it was actually 6 for just over 14k. 300m of climb too, so theres decent effort on each set.

Sat afternoon 28k bike

This was meant to be week 2 of XC training for a bunch of local kids, so I biked down to the meeting place, in gentle rain. No sign of anyone, too wet I'd say. Gonna have to toughen up these kids! Anyway, it gave me an opportunity to extend my cycle, so I went up past Shillelagh, across the backroads towards the Wicklow Way. There's a sign by the forest, saying Coillte will be removing all feral goats in the area in a weeks time, so anyone stashing their goats in Aghowle forest, you've been warned. The cycle down Coronory Hill gave me a max heart rate of 300+. Across Kilquiggan, and up and around these less travelled backroads on the WW. Their was a fair few hills in this journey, tough going in places. Back through Tomnafinnogue forest, which was alone but for me and the puddles, and then home.

What did I learn on this hike, besides the goats thing? When cycling wet backroads covered in Tractor muck and slurry, with no mudguards: keep your mouth closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

:eek: I wonder what will happen to all those confiscated goats?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    epic barbeque. :)

Oh god!!! I was so afraid of that!! (note to self: avoid all barbeque joints/events/gatherings while visiting Ireland) ;)

Gonna phone tomorrow to find out. "Feral"="wild", its a little unfair if they aren't rehoused in Wicklow National Park, or something equivilant. Not their fault no one taught them which soup spoon to use.

Bad Oryx, bad!:mad: I have changed my mental picture of you changing on the side of Wexford roads, to one of me chastising you as you change on the side of Wexford roads:mad:;)

Gonna phone tomorrow to find out. "Feral"="wild", its a little unfair if they aren't rehoused in Wicklow National Park, or something equivilant. Not their fault no one taught them which soup spoon to use.

Bad Oryx, bad!:mad: I have changed my mental picture of you changing on the side of Wexford roads, to one of me chastising you as you change on the side of Wexford roads:mad:;)

Oryx, you were changing on the side of Wexford roads? So you're the adventurous SBR hoochie Shotgun keeps talking about! Damn it! First it's dpop calling you hot, now you're shotgun's hoochie!! ;)

(dpop....definitely not their fault...they've probably never even seen or heard of a soup spoon.)

Tue 7th Feb 2.35k swim

The younglings brought a cold into the house, nothing too bad, but I've been drained of energy these past couple of days. Was tempted to run under last nights glorious moon, but erred on the side of caution.

Into the pool at lunchtime, 1k swam to warm up in 19 mins. A lot of the other swim logs mix things up a bit, so I'm trying to introduce that. Didn't feel too energetic after the initial warm up, but tried a blast of 50m. Crap turn, 42 secs, crap. It felt tough too. Tried again, this one felt really hard, better turn, 38 secs, better, but I was shattered after it. Tried two more at about max effort, 39 and 40 secs. Fairly tough and tired after them. A few slower lengths, then did 3x100's, all coming in around 1:53 each. Their wasn't any great effort in them. Finished off 2k, then added 50m to make up the 50m GoHard always seems to be ahead of me on the SBR, then added some more to elevate my position on the SBR work on form.

Tue evening 13k run, incl Carnew loop 61 mins

There was a great moon tonight, so after dropping a carful of cubs to their den, I ran around the 12.5k Carnew backroads loop. When there's no cars around, this is a magical route, with the moon illuminating all the mountain tops around. Memories of all the great moonlight walks I've had over the years came back, a great place to be. Its a hilly enough route, but I kept the foot down for most of the way, in fact speeding up over the course. A strong Krusty finish took me home in 61 mins, which isn't too bad, given the hills.

I am waiting on one of these to be delivered, so I can cycle to the shops for bread and milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Nice ride:)

I'll keep an eye out for you if you're heading in the Tullow direction........not that I'll be out on my bike until after Conn.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Nice ride:)

I'll keep an eye out for you if you're heading in the Tullow direction........not that I'll be out on my bike until after Conn.

Actually, the backroads around Tullow & environs are very much on my to-do list! In fact having a bike will open up a whole load more locations and hill runs to explore :)

I am waiting on one of these to be delivered, so I can cycle to the shops for bread and milk.

Ooooooo....I'd say you got a sweet ride there, but i'm getting a bit of reputation (thanks, cw) so I'll just say that it's a pretty bike.

Ooooooo....I'd say you got a sweet ride there, but i'm getting a bit of reputation (thanks, cw) so I'll just say that it's a pretty bike.

She's some mount all right. Can't wait to lube up the chain and derailher.

Just the foreplay I needed to ready me for my interval session. ;)

Just the foreplay I needed to ready me for my interval session. ;)

It was all so much more innocent back before this Tri stuff took hold...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

the-joy-of-cycling-32119-1303326794-36.jpg

You were warned about the dark side. You didn't listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Better put your order in for the Boards Cycling gear so. dp moves over to camp in Cycling forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Khari Little Iron

Telling you now Paul cut the credit card up....quick:) Well wear with the new ride.

Advertisement