Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power requirments for a 6 foot off set topper

• 01-07-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm currently looking at a 6 foot fully offset topper.

Would a Massey 148 be able to power one of these?
    I know it wouldn't be able to run an 8 foot, just curious what kind of power I'd need for a 6 foot off set. Cant seem to find anything definitive online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭ABlur

According to Fleming who make such a topper, 60HP is needed, I think the MF is only 49HP. On the other hand a semi-offset 6 foot topper e.g. Abbey would be driven easily by the 148.

Fleming:
    https://www.fleming-agri.co.uk/products/grass-toppers/side-mounted-grass-topper#tab-spec

Abbey:
    http://www.abbeymachinery.com/pasture-toppers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Id imagine its the added weight of the offset in comparison to the semi offset

lets be honest the finish from a offset and semi offset is chalk and cheese

ABlur wrote: »
    According to Fleming who make such a topper, 60HP is needed, I think the MF is only 49HP. On the other hand a semi-offset 6 foot topper e.g. Abbey would be driven easily by the 148.

Fleming:
    https://www.fleming-agri.co.uk/products/grass-toppers/side-mounted-grass-topper#tab-spec

Abbey:
    http://www.abbeymachinery.com/pasture-toppers

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭ABlur

Id imagine its the added weight of the offset in comparison to the semi offset

lets be honest the finish from a offset and semi offset is chalk and cheese

I used to think the finish on the semi was poor until I dropped it down to the last setting. The MF 148 probably also has narrow rear tyres so the finish should be even better than I get with 16.9 34's.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭joeyboy12345

Its not really the power requirement,more of a weight issue,have a fleming 6ft off set topper,used to work it on a 60 hp zetor,but it was never able to lift it off the ground when offset, there was a good bit of tyre slippage too on even the smallest of incline,but it did the job!you could get stuck easily too!have since upgraded to 90 hp 4wd and the difference is chalk and cheese!it can lift it clear off the ground when off set,is way safer on the road too! I think at 50 hp youd be pushing your luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I know it wouldn't be able to run an 8 foot, just curious what kind of power I'd need for a 6 foot off set. Cant seem to find anything definitive online

how about buying an 8ft trailer topper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

You will be able to power it but not lift it.
    My uncle was looking at buying a offset one for a 148 but ended up buying a semi offset one as he reckoned it wouldnt lift it.
    The problem with the semi offset one is you are driving down the stuff you are topping.
    I saw a lad one day topping an entire field in reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

I presume if you had one of those fancy tractors with PTO and linkages on front, the topper on front would work. Is there a topper that goes completely behind tractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

I just see u can get a 9 ft in line topper.

Advertisement