Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Train

• 21-03-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

I have a five year old son who has autism and is absolutely train obsessed. I was looking for things to do in the summer with him and I stumbled across the following:

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/events/

The one I'd be looking at is the "Balbriggan Festival": Dublin - Balbriggan & return.

Has anyone here been on this, or something similar? Is it worth the money?
    I think he'd love the fact that it's a steam engine 'like Thomas'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Never been on one but I've brought my kids down to see them do the Maynooth run and there are always plenty of kids and family's on board and the RPSI guys are very friendly.

The only thing to beware of is that they don't guarantee it will be hauled by a steam engine and there is a small chance it will be a diesel if there are problems with the steam loco just keep it in mind when selling it to your little guy so it doesn't ruin his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Beef wrote: »
    I have a five year old son who has autism and is absolutely train obsessed. I was looking for things to do in the summer with him and I stumbled across the following:

The one I'd be looking at is the "Balbriggan Festival": Dublin - Balbriggan & return.

He will have an absolute ball. Tickets for that run aren't out yet but they won't be dear and you will get your values worth many times over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Great stuff - thanks for the positive feedback! Guess we'll be going on that one so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Great stuff - thanks for the positive feedback! Guess we'll be going on that one so! :D

Have travelled on the Santa Steam Specials for the past 5 years with my now 7yo son. He will love the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

My nephews and nieces have been on several trips at christmas, in summer and at Easter. All absolutely brilliant craic, for adults as well as kids. Well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Does he have a problem with loud sounds? Steam engines are exceptionally loud and may make him panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

MGWR wrote: »
    Does he have a problem with loud sounds? Steam engines are exceptionally loud and may make him panic.

Not that you'd particularly notice on board the train...

It depends on the noise to be honest. I think if it's coming from a steam engine he won't mind too much! Thanks for that though, it's not something I had thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Back in December, the RPSI had an entire Santa Special chartered out by an Autism charity. There wasn't so much as one passenger who had a problem with the noise of the train, and that was picking up at Pearse. Unless the wee lad is at the very very extreme end, he will be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

You will have a great time. RPSI specials are very family friendly (and Adult friendly for the Bar Car).

You will most likely be hauled by the Dublin & South Eastern Railway No. 461. Some pictures of her in action http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/search/?q=461&c=photos#i=0

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, we went on the train yesterday and he had a ball. The staff on the train were top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Does the marble city train from connolly to kilkenny us the Phoenix park tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Back in December, the RPSI had an entire Santa Special chartered out by an Autism charity. There wasn't so much as one passenger who had a problem with the noise of the train, and that was picking up at Pearse. Unless the wee lad is at the very very extreme end, he will be absolutely fine.
    Steamers are quiet when not moving, even if the blower is going. It's when under way at speed that they make a lot of noise, or when the whistle is sounding.

Advertisement