Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The least stressful job...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Work at the change counter in an arcade, they're the most listless people I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Teacher? They do **** all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Lukebray wrote: »

Hope you're joking. I'm so tired I could collapse right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

susan boyles gynaecologist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Karsini wrote: »
    I knew someone would say this. :pac:

Driving trams or trains isn't exactly easy. Especially with the Luas in the city centre, where jaywalkers provide an extra challenge. You have to keep full concentration at all times. You need to know your route inside out - the location of every station, speed limit (permanent or temporary), level crossing, accommodation crossing, you name it.

Would still love to do it though.

Know your route inside out???

That's a lot of left and right turns to remember!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Driving trams or trains isn't exactly easy. Especially with the Luas in the city centre, where jaywalkers provide an extra challenge. You have to keep full concentration at all times. You need to know your route inside out - the location of every station, speed limit (permanent or temporary), level crossing, accommodation crossing, you name it.

I thought the train passed through every station. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Darwin wrote: »
    If you are in game development, ever hear of crunch time? Can go on forever in some studios, definitely not stress free.
    Indeed, which is the area I am in, though thankfully I'm not ever in a position where I have to go into crunch mode :) (not yet at least)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Mine.

It's taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

fluffer

Calibos wrote: »
    Know your route inside out???

That's a lot of left and right turns to remember!!

I don't mean that. You have to know where all the speed limits are. Unlike in a car, you can't just slow down when you see the sign up ahead. In some cases you need to begin braking anything up a mile before the limit. You could have a situation where a 100mph limit becomes 60 due to a tight curve - if you forget it then you're off the rails.

I know that on Irish Rail, failing to stop at a scheduled station is treated as severely as running a red light. In either case, you're immediately suspended and re-assessed.

Accommodation crossings are another big problem. These are used by farmers for crossing their animals across the tracks. Many farmers don't bother closing the gates, with the result that stray cattle could end up on the tracks. Over time you learn which crossings are problematic and know whether to slow down, stop, blast the horn or whatever.

On the Luas, you also have the added responsibility of setting the track points yourself. There's no signalman to do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Ryan Tubridy's dietitian

Ryan Tubridy's talent manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

Check out the check out staff thread, scan, beep, money, change, next, scan, beep, money, change, next....repeat, repeat, repeat...

I had a job that I hated, I left and found a job that was good, near home, hours I could manage, nice co workers......what,s the catch.....

The boss is a complete fooking wankker, he hates, hates, hates, his job and takes it out on us.

The moral of the story being, a job is only as stressful or as stress free as you make it, because I was going to leave this job but actually learnt to deal with spanner man instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I don't mean that............

I know;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

The guy from KPMG who acts as 'independent observer' for the weekly Lotto draw. I want that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

From another thread .....

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-3325806.html

Originally Posted by :
    TWO men working for a repossession company were told to strip and get into a pen with a wild boar after a confrontation with a farmer, a court has been told.

"He said to us that we had met the devil and he told me he would take my head off and eat it. He said if we were willing to strip we could walk down the road naked," said Mr Tighe.

The witness, who told the court he is receiving treatment for post-traumatic stress, said Mr Connaughton instructed one of the farm workers to bring out a boar and "fire her up". He said that the animal was prodded and became more agitated.

He added that Mr Connaughton asked them which of them was man enough to get into the pen with the wild boar. He added that the boar would show them what happens to inmates in prison.

Mr Tighe said they continued to plead to be allowed to leave. He said they could if they got on their knees and recited the 'Our Father', which they did.
    Keeping in mind these are just accusations at this time... but fcukin' hell!! :pac:

I have to say its probably one of the worst jobs you could have working for repossesion company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't you just hate when a good raconteur gets interrupted by cricket and you never get to hear how the story ends

I'd do it for the cakes alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

How about office cleaning? Quiet, indoor work, usually not too many people to deal with. Keeps you physically active, and as long as you actually clean stuff, relatively little hassle.

Most office toilets are in better nick than somewhere like a nightclub, and the rest of the job is mostly vacuuming and dusting.

Or lollipop lady - though that's more of a part time job, with presumably part time wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

TOMP wrote: »
    The guy from KPMG who acts as 'independent observer' for the weekly Lotto draw. I want that job.

That's his break, he goes back to work afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

A life on Benefits , free healthcare and housing what more could you want !

Film classifier. Sit in a room with copies of the latest releases and scribble the odd note. Cake and coffee thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

look, reality is, unless youre running your own playdough factory that has no deadlines or targets, youre going to experience stress in any job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Shinaynay wrote: »
    look, reality is, unless youre running your own playdough factory that has no deadlines or targets, youre going to experience stress in any job.

Thanks for playdough factory, I hadn't thought of that before. Might be a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭The Dublin Whale

Greenkeeper, out in the fresh air all day, would keep you fit so no need to go to a gym in that job, you could keep a naggin of whiskey on you and sip from it during the colder weather

Lukebray wrote: »

Teaching isn't stressful? Say what you want about teaching but only a full blown retard would think it's stress-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Food critic. Eat food for free and write about it tasted.

You think food critic was low stress and yet the number of bitchy even hostile encounters between critic, cook, owners and some of the public suggests otherwise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mike65 wrote: »
    Film classifier. Sit in a room with copies of the latest releases and scribble the odd note. Cake and coffee thrown in.
    Ah but imagine it back in the old days before there was internet or even videos and lots of books were banned, and you were allowed to cut out and keep all the really good bits.

Living the dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭redandwhite

Teaching isn't stressful? Say what you want about teaching but only a full blown retard would think it's stress-free.

You can't blame him for his lack of intelligence.

I blame the teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

A life on Benefits , free healthcare and housing what more could you want !

The definition of "job".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Or someone who's been to school and sat through class after class as teachers mumbled apathetically through textbooks hardly even bothering to acknowledge the students in front of them.

Advertisement