Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adam Yauch, AKA MCA, dead at 48

• 04-05-2012 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭

Adam Yauch, one-third of the pioneering hip-hop group the Beastie Boys, has died at the age of 48, Rolling Stone has learned. Yauch, also known as MCA, had been in treatment for cancer since 2009. The rapper was diagnosed in 2009 after discovering a tumor in his salivary gland.
    Yauch sat out the Beastie Boys' induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April, and his treatments delayed the release of the group's most recent album, Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2. The Beastie Boys had not performed live since the summer of 2009, and Yauch's illness prevented the group from appearing in music videos for Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2.
    Yauch co-founded the Beastie Boys with Mike "Mike D" Diamond and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horowitz in 1979. The band started off as a hardcore punk group, but soon began experimenting with hip-hop. The band broke big with their first proper album, Licensed to Ill, in 1986, and further albums Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and Ill Communication cemented the band as a true superstar act.
    In addition to his career with the Beastie Boys, Yauch was heavily involved in the movement to free Tibet and co-organized the Tibetan Freedom Concerts of the late Nineties. In 2002, he launched the film production company Oscilloscope Laboratories.

RIP :(

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beastie-boys-co-founder-adam-yauch-dead-at-48-20120504

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

RIP. He made some great music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Sad day for hip hop indeed. Thoughts are with his friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

RIP MCA, very sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Not the biggest hip-hop fan, but a huge fan of the Beastie Boys since 1984. RIP Adam Yaunch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

I was just thinking how I wanted to listen to Paul's Boutique this summer. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

RIP :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Polygon_window

Can't believe it :( inspirational, your 50 cents, eminems were no match for him

RIP

Just heard. Feel sick. Such a loss

RIP MCA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

aah fúck sake, only been listening to licensed to ill over the past few weeks.

Very very sad day for hip hop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Originator Innovator Pioneer completely bum rushed the show for 'da honky' alongside Mike D & Ad Roc walked onto the court and took the game by the balls! gaining the admiration & respects of the big players!

Hip Hop has lost a true Legend of the genre, The Beasties were no novelty act,these guys could spit,MCA was lyrically on par with many of Hip Hops finest,could play instruments,produced & directed.

He/they paved the way for the likes of Limp Bizkit,Linkin Park,Rage against the Machine and M&M

I'm surprised this thread (in a Hip Hop forum) has had so few posts!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-_ieduqWkOtr4BTjtP_TLjCXo2iDTsjdVVhDmzzDUQ4i0Ys_d
    R.I.P. Adam Yauch

Yes, this forum would have more posts if it was amcee doodiddy from Odd Future or some other randomer with no talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Heard about this earlier today. Really sad news. Love the Beasties. RIP :(

Yes, this forum would have more posts if it was amcee doodiddy from Odd Future or some other randomer with no talent.

I get the sentiment but have to say Odd Future got a nice flow to their rhymes,a kinda young Wu Tang vibe going on,although just another stereotypical "Bitch ass niggaz,all y'all sucka's,rollin on dubs,sippin 40's n toastin blunts" collective.

The majority of todays Hip Hop (if it can even be called that these days) is souless!

But thats for another thread eh!,lets keep this one for shining a light on the talent that was Adam Yauch and The Beastie Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Am a massive beastie boys fan, they were my first real intro to hip hop with licensed to ill. managed to see them live quite a few times incl RDS / Galway and even in Australia. When I saw Mike D and Ad Rock withouth MCA at that event recently I was like hmm thats not good. I have been always thinking cant wait to see em live again when he is back up and running. Wont happen now and I am gutted. Listened to em so much over the years, great albums and NY vibe.

RIP

PS Keep the odd future ****e off this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Huge part of my life gone without these guys, but only realising it now. gutted I never got to see them live

- Long walk with the dogs
    - Ipod up to 11
    - Back catalogue of BB in my ears.

Sorely missed. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

EarlERizer wrote: »
    He/they paved the way for the likes of Limp Bizkit,Linkin Park[

Jesus, don't ever blame them for the likes of that muck. MCA and the Beastie Boys were in a league way, way beyond those tossers. Great band, great legacy. RIP MCA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm gonna listen to licensed to ill a few times today in his memory.
    I'll actually swap lil wayne to god for MCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

He/they paved the way for the likes of Limp Bizkit,Linkin Park[

Jesus, don't ever blame them for the likes of that muck. MCA and the Beastie Boys were in a league way, way beyond those tossers. Great band, great legacy. RIP MCA

Don't think he was comparing, but implying that they were an influence to bands like this and so many.maybe not the best examples though :p

I think better examples of someone who was influenced by the Beasties would be maybe Eminem. Rage Against The Machine, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm slow to hold up the Beastie Boys as examples of what hip hop should be. As rappers they were pretty limited. They were just savvy about jumping on new production trends more than anything. Not to say they weren't pretty good but I think their importance has been exaggerated a lot. I can't listen to them anymore these days they get on my nerves.

Anyway, **** cancer. RIP MCA.

Tributes pouring in - Public Enemy, Nas, Busta Rhymes, Eminem, Jay-Z, Common, Tom Morello, The Strokes, Weezer, Slipknot, Graham Coxon, Flea, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Slash, even the likes of Justin Timberlake and non-music types like Jimmy Fallon. I don't think their influence has been overstated - they allowed a cross-over and an interaction between hip-hop and guitar music. Sure, they weren't the most gifted lyricists, but they did some really interesting stuff with their sound that was pretty unusual for the time, and they had fun doing it. Also, who knew that three white Jewish boys would ever be big in hip-hop?

For me anyway, they were a brilliant group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Did anyone ever see Jay-Z cover No Sleep Till Brooklyn before, he took over headline spot at the festival from the Beastie Boys who pulled out when MCA was diagnosed with cancer. Great tribute

:rolleyes: Nice editing of my original post! do you work for ay of the tabloids?
    Don't think he was comparing, but implying that they were an influence to bands like this and so many.maybe not the best examples though :p

Correct,Of course I wasn't comparing,like I said,they paved the way for others in that they pioneered the genre "Rap-Rock",influences can be heard throughout the works of the artists I mentioned,wheter said artists were as good as the Beasties is irrelevant,the influence is there. I was a BB 'fan' (for want of a better word) not so much the others,so you'll have to forgive me if the examples I gave aren't worthy,if anyone else can offer up other such acts influenced by their sound,please do so.:)
    I think better examples of someone who was influenced by the Beasties would be maybe Eminem. Rage Against The Machine, too.

As I mentioned in my original post,there is an undeniable influence of the 'rap-rock' genre throughout the works of Limp Bizkit & Linkin Park, regardless of the argument as to wheter they deserve the stature or place amongst others.

for the record,I dont rate anything of Limp Bizkits,they were woeful,Linkin Park are a more accomplished sound by comparision and neither can hold a candle to the works of the Beasties........but that's just my opinion!

:cool:

Not to be nit-picky or to diminish the influence that they clearly had but wouldn't the rap-rock style have been "started" by run-dmc before the beasties switched to rap?

I'm slow to hold up the Beastie Boys as examples of what hip hop should be. As rappers they were pretty limited. They were just savvy about jumping on new production trends more than anything. Not to say they weren't pretty good but I think their importance has been exaggerated a lot. I can't listen to them anymore these days they get on my nerves.

Anyway, **** cancer. RIP MCA.

Not to pi$$ on your bonfire or anything but I think most of the oldskool rap/Hip Hop fraternity would disagree with you on this,from Rick Rubin,Kurtis Blow,Run DMC,KRS1,Eric B & Rakim,Cypress Hill,Doug E Fresh,Slick Rick etc etc the Beasties are held in very high esteem for what they brought to Hip Hop and their influence to the game.

That said,I can see where your coming from,if your a hip hop purist then the evolution of their sound couldn't be tagged simply as 'Hip Hop' but to the heavyweights of the game bitd they took Hip Hop onto the next level i.e. the crossover into mainstream via the rock route and they brought a wider audience & attention to the Hip Hop/Rap genre.

Not to be nit-picky or to diminish the influence that they clearly had but wouldn't the rap-rock style have been "started" by run-dmc before the beasties switched to rap?

In a word 'NO' The Beasties released 'Cooky Puss' in 83 whereas RUN DMC's first rap rock dabbline was their 1984 hit 'Rock Box'

I suppose if we were to be hair splitting on the facts we could say it was "Grandmaster Flash & the Furiious Five alongside Melle Mel and the Sugarhill gang who introduced the 'rap-rock' sound with their earlier releases,but when I talk about the Beasties been pioneers of the game I'm talking in terms of what they did for 'white' artists in a genre dominated by 'black' artists and an audience who would have been dubious & sceptical of 3 white guys in the rap game!

Their sound was not fixed Hip Hop unlike others in the game and their ethnicity coupled with their sound brought on a more open acceptance of Hip Hop into the rock genre with fans of either sound been exposed to the other and artists of either genre open to working 'outside of the box'

But,again,I will stress,these are just my opinions,I'm not saying my word is bond.:)

In a word 'NO' The Beasties released 'Cooky Puss' in 83 whereas RUN DMC's first rap rock dabbline was their 1984 hit 'Rock Box'

I suppose if we were to be hair splitting on the facts we could say it was "Grandmaster Flash & the Furiious Five alongside Melle Mel and the Sugarhill gang who introduced the 'rap-rock' sound with their earlier releases,but when I talk about the Beasties been pioneers of the game I'm talking in terms of what they did for 'white' artists in a genre dominated by 'black' artists and an audience who would have been dubious & sceptical of 3 white guys in the rap game!

Their sound was not fixed Hip Hop unlike others in the game and their ethnicity coupled with their sound brought on a more open acceptance of Hip Hop into the rock genre with fans of either sound been exposed to the other and artists of either genre open to working 'outside of the box'

But,again,I will stress,these are just my opinions,I'm not saying my word is bond.:)

Well ok but Run-DMC were more commercial with their releases in 84/5 before Beasties and anyway I think we can agree it was most likely Rick Rubin who was largely behind it anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think to label them as rap rock is completely reductive. As an act they were so much more expansive. Listen to the tapestry of sampling that was Paul's Boutique or the funk and punk workouts that permeated Check Your Head and Ill Communication. They were a band in love with music in every shape and form and receptive to wherever their muse would take them and sounded like they were having a blast in the process.

• Advertisement

Well yes they started off as a punk band and of course when I (anyway) use Rock I use it as a very inclusive term for anything rock related.

Advertisement