Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed of light exceeded at Cern?

• 22-09-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭

Could it be true, and not an experimental error?

The experiment involved firing neutrinos over a distance of 732km. If I read the report correctly, then over the course of 15000 such measurements, a statistically very significant number, but not all, broke the speed of light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

In your face, Einstein!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Holy sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

We need more "safety cameras" in the LHC to fine these neutrinos for their excessive speed. Pretty amazing if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Forget electric cars, we're gonna be getting warp drives!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Science, you're an idiot if you disagree with us until we tell you why we were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

perhaps its the measurement of time itself that's wrong.

Science, you're an idiot if you disagree with us until we tell you why we were wrong.

Religion - your an idiot if you disagree with us until we massacre your people and take your land/oil/attractive females.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

If you google the thread title, boards.ie comes 4th!

We're ahead of the posse on this one.

Although others can now catch up faster than previously thought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Shirley some mistake.

If not, wow, this is the coolest thing that's happened since 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

3014_d683.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I always felt that even if the speed of light were definite we'd find some way around it. How else we gona get those blue bastar!ds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

stimpson wrote: »
    In your face, Einstein!

"If I can see further than anyone else, it is only because I am standing on the shoulders of giants" : Isaac Newton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The speed of light is 299 792 458 m / s, and the neutrinos did not go faster than this through the earth, they just went faster than what the guys think light would have went through the earth.

The neutrinos never went faster than 299 792 458 m / s.

There are particles out there that go faster than light through certain mediums.
    Cerenkov Radiation is an example of this in water. CERN made themselves look rather foolish.

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae219.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

[-0-] wrote: »
    The speed of light is 299 792 458 m / s, and the neutrinos did not go faster than this through the earth, they just went faster than what the guys think light would have went through the earth.

There are particles out there that go faster than light through certain mediums.
    Cerenkov Radiation is an example of this in water. CERN made themselves look rather foolish.

A physics professor on tv said the neutrinos travelled faster than light in a vacuum. That sounds like faster than light to me, and not faster than light through a medium which slows down light.

A physics professor on tv said the neutrinos travelled faster than light in a vacuum. That sounds like faster than light to me, and not faster than light through a medium which slows down light.

And the fact that the earth isnt transparent means light can't travel through it in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anonymo

As WalterMitty said you are incorrect on this. I know this is a forum
    for popular science so I don't want to sound too harsh. Even so, it's
    a bit silly to think that CERN physicists - some of the best in the
    business - would make an error like you've mentioned.
    The controversy is precisely that these lads have measured the
    speed of the neutrinos to be faster than the speed of light in a
    vacuum (the fastest that any information is supposed to be able
    to travel through any medium). There are uncertainties to their measurement, e.g. uncertainties in measuring the distance from
    CERN to Gran Sasso (this is the one that a lot of people are questioning). They've tried to be very careful but haven't been able to find any
    explanation that would explain a spurious 'detection'.
    As such, they've presented their findings so that others may find
    one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

go easy on me people but what are the implications to the laws of physics with this news as regards to light years to planets & galaxies etc? ...,fascinating story

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doubt.It

None at all, if - as seems very, very likely - the result is due to an unknown error.

If it's not - and if physics is also right about neutrinos having some mass - than the implications are very difficult to work out because it would mean that there was a vast error on our understanding of... it all. Special relativity would have to be wrong.

How wrong? Let the wild and unfounded speculations begin. One could argue the maximum possible speed in the universe is actually slightly higher than the speed of light in a vacuum, but that would be very unsatisfying.

Or one could argue that it means there's a way for matter to pass the "light barrier" somehow and that, yes, faster than light travel would be possible. But don't hold your breath. If that were true, why are these particles accelerated with huge energies only going *just* over the speed of light?

This is going to turn out to be some fiendishly devious error. As physics professor Matt Strassler rather emphatically put it, "Hyperventilating about the impending collapse of existing theoretical physics is a tad inappropriate at this time."

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

It would be cool if neutrinos passed through some "weird material" which let them accelerate them over LS.

Well one attempt to explain this is that they move through a "weird space", made up of other dimensions than the ones we're familiar with. As you probably know, most attempts to unify quantum mechanics with relativity require extra dimensions of space. What if - for some non-obvious reason - it takes less time to cross a space made out of these mysterious dimensions?

I don't really believe this is the answer here, but I've attempted to explain it in more detail on my blog.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's the interaction of photons with matter that slows photons down,

neutrinos don't interact that much with matter so maybe not slowed down as much ?

I hope nothing can slow neutrinos down. Because if they're travelling a little faster than light, and they're slowed to the speed of light...

Can anyone imagine the consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Can anyone imagine the consequences?

I assume you trying to infer massive energy loss thus massive explosion?

There are many ways to slow something down without an explosion.

Think of the shuttle entering the atmosphere, a bullet travelling through the air

etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

amen wrote: »
    I assume you trying to infer massive energy loss thus massive explosion?

There are many ways to slow something down without an explosion.

Think of the shuttle entering the atmosphere, a bullet travelling through the air

etc

Both of which give off considerable energy one kinetic, the other potential. - But the nature of FTL objects are that they can't be slowed down beyond C. - Look at photons, they exist at C, but they can't be slowed. Blocked? Of course, Obsorbed? Yep, but not slowed.

A photon traveling at 0.999999* C is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Both of which give off considerable energy one kinetic, the other potential. - But the nature of FTL objects are that they can't be slowed down beyond C. - Look at photons, they exist at C, but they can't be slowed. Blocked? Of course, Obsorbed? Yep, but not slowed.

A photon traveling at 0.999999* C is impossible.
    What about light travelling through mediums?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_light

C is the speed of light in a vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

AFIK that's phasing and dispersion. The actual speed of light the wave doesn't change it's apparent speed does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

According to BBC News they are about to redo the experiment at Cern.

I think this is going to be one of the most carefully watched experiments of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I can't find any updated news on this, how long might it take to get the results?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Dickerty wrote: »
    I can't find any updated news on this, how long might it take to get the results?

ah, we should have them last week....

sorry

Advertisement