Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog smell

Options
  • 01-10-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

So I bought a second hand car, and the previous owner had two dogs which as it seems they pissed, vomit, spat, licked, shat and who knows what else they did on the back seats. I left it for a valet which they shampooed and did all sort of stuff to take the smell off but when the seats dried out it was even worse really, like they brought all of it on surface. I 've tried the usual stuff, fabreeze, soda crystals etc but no luck, the smell is still there.

Do you have any magic remedies or it's just has to be more shampooing and drying and more shampooing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot offer anything other than maybe see if you can pick up an identical seat in a scrap yard for small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's probably gone into the foam.

New seat time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Chop an onion in half and leave it in the car.
    Onions absorb smells. Leave it in there for a few days.

If its bad, try a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Surprisingly enough the seats are in excellent condition apart from the smell, so I 'd like to avoid replacing.

I ll try the onion, I also read about mixing vodka and water and spraying the car. Worst case scenario it 'll end up smelling like Coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A cat peed on the backseat and I had problems getting it out.
    Eventually I got a yellow bottle of some concoction in a pet shop that breaks down the urine.
    It worked well.

Ask in a pet shop.

edit, found it http://www.petworlddirect.ie/p/stain-and-odour-remover-16oz/4944

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

AstraMonti wrote: »
    So I bought a second hand car, and the previous owner had two dogs which as it seems they pissed, vomit, spat, licked, shat and who knows what else they did on the back seats. I left it for a valet which they shampooed and did all sort of stuff to take the smell off but when the seats dried out it was even worse really, like they brought all of it on surface. I 've tried the usual stuff, fabreeze, soda crystals etc but no luck, the smell is still there.

Do you have any magic remedies or it's just has to be more shampooing and drying and more shampooing?
    On my last car,s fabia ,I spilt milk,2 litres,did as you did,no joy,had to take seat out of car,strip cover,hand wash cover with daz,same with foam,several times,left to dry in sun/also in front of radiator, took 4 days to do ,smell gone,lot of work,,,,,so as op said,if you have the bobs,secondhand breakers seat is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Chop an onion in half and leave it in the car.
    Onions absorb smells. Leave it in there for a few days.

If its bad, try a second one.

Did that,onion smell was as bad,,stayed in car for weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Assuming they are textile seats, the smell has gone deep into the seats, so unless you change the seats it will stay.

Breaker yards might have seats to suit otherwise its a case of using car freshners all the time and maybe spraying an odour eating spray at night so that its ok in the morning

Advertisement