Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monument to Armagh rail disaster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

A long overdue move this. The memorial is indeed a fitting and poignant reminder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The only problem with that article is that the brakes didn't fail, they worked exactly as they were designed to do. What failed was the Railway Company and it's Employees, some of whom should have gone to jail for their criminal stupidity. It's a lovely memorial to those poor people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A good book on the accident is J.R.L.Currie's "The Runaway Train: Armagh 1889". There were so many things that went wrong in the operation of the trains on that day. The overloading of a train in relation to the locomotive power, the locking of carriage doors that meant escape was impossible for most, the dividing of a train on an incline, the fixed time operation that meant a second train was allowed follow the special. Fascinating for the student of railway accidents but not so damn amusing if you were caught up in it.

51zJrYI%2By6L._.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

corktina wrote: »
    The only problem with that article is that the brakes didn't fail, they worked exactly as they were designed to do. What failed was the Railway Company and it's Employees, some of whom should have gone to jail for their criminal stupidity. It's a lovely memorial to those poor people.

The brake did work as intended. Trouble with it was that it was nowhere close to fit for purpose.

I agree 100% with you on the rest.

that's what I said...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

corktina wrote: »
    that's what I said...

I know. I said that as well except I didn't say it as you said it.

Or something along those lines :)

to spell it out to casual readers,

the train was fitted with non-failsafe vacuum brakes. In other words , the loco sucking the air out of the vacuum brake system applied the brakes... uncouple a carriage, and thus the brake pipe, and you release the brakes throughout the train.

This is "simple vacuum braking" . In automatic vacuum brakes, the brakes are released by the vacuum, therefore if you destroy the vacuum, you apply the brakes.

The officials on the ground that day uncoupled part of the train on a steep gradient after the train stalled. The Guard's handbrake (and some stones placed under wheels (!) ) failed to hold the train and it rolled back into the following train which had been allowed to follow the first after a time interval

As a direct result of this tragedy, automatic brakes were made compulsory and a system was made mandatory where (basically) a train had to clear a section before another was allowed to follow. A milestone in railway safety in Britain and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Lock, block and brake.

Advertisement