Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not a rail enthusiast?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

indeed, didn't manage to get to Didcot for the proper gauge
    (should anyone be interested I did about 1300 miles in a 1987 Camper to do that lot in a week and also squeezed in Pontycylite Aqueduct, Ironbridge ,Wroxeter Roman City, Tintern Abbey and Strata Florida Abbey and the Llangollen Canal narrow boats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

You certainly got around, I've done most of those railways but spread over several years!

I was at Didcot last month, had spent the morning at Wantage on track looking for lost drains (dodging HSTs and Braunton on a charter in the process). Finished at 12 so went to Didcot and then on to Pendon before heading home to Kent all at the company's expense (I'm in the UK working 80% of the time).

The prototype HST powercar was there as were both proper broad gauge engines, Firefly and Iron Duke. Obviously a large selection of Brunswick Green engines as well.

If you do make it to Didcot, Pendon is just up the road if you have any interest in modelling, you'll have fun parking the van though! http://www.pendonmuseum.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

101sean wrote: »
    ...then on to Pendon

WOW! Pendon is still on the go. Visited Pendon numerous times when I was a young lad on our holiday to England. I've still to see any model railway that can come close to the detail they had there. Truly incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The main Vale of the White Horse layout is an ongoing work of art with small areas being remodelled all the time. Had some interesting chats with the volunteers, I'd been looking for culverts a couple of weeks before on the section of line they have modelled. Today's linesides are considerably more overgrown!

The modelling is so stunningly good I'm glad I gave up my paltry 4mm efforts many years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

I was probably around 10 or 12 last time I was there. My dad was stationed at RAF Halton and we lived in Chalgrove which wasn't far away. When we moved back to Scotland, our holidays invariably ended up in that area, hence the visits to Pendon. I always found it fascinating. Probably very different now some 30 years later.

Pendon Parva was the one to see back then as I recall.

I took wife and daughter to Pendon last year....many years since I had previously been. Indeed stunning detail, a unique place.

Didcot? I was a volunteer there aged 16 and visit as often as I can. The world's greatest one company museum, and they are filling in the gaps in their collection remarkably well with replicas. Saw photos of the Saint out in the daylight recently....can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

corktina wrote: »
    indeed, didn't manage to get to Didcot

That too is the Narrow Gauge :pac:

only some of it....7'0 3/4" is hardly narrow

Advertisement