Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting 2nd provisional driving licence

• 29-07-2009 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

I got my 1st provisional 3 years ago and ended up not renewing it straight away after it was up because i was not driving at the time. It's been a year since i should have renewed it, anyone know will i be able to just renew it again straight away or will i have to take the theory test again? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 metoyou

hey just on this issue... my first provisional licence expired in june and i applied for a 2nd one
    but yeah got a learner permit... does this mean i have to wait 6 months to sit my test??
    ive sat it twice.. and well failed :S !!!
    but that was with my provisional licence
    ive applied for another test but that was 6 weeks ago and am still waiting on a date... is that because i have a learner permit now??
    im confused, and stressed cause my insurance is up at the end of sept and was hoping to take the test and hopefully pass and get lower insurance instead of forking out more than i should be
    confusing this i know..
    any help would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

The 6 months only applies to the first learner permit, as you've held a provisional licence before this permit would actually be considered a second "licence" so the 6 months does not apply to you.

Good luck with the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

if i get the test here can i drive in australia,or do i have to do a test for a full lisence in australia.and also if i get a provo lisence in ozzi and pass the test there,can i change it for a full one in ireland.

horse7 wrote: »
    if i get the test here can i drive in australia,or do i have to do a test for a full lisence in australia.and also if i get a provo lisence in ozzi and pass the test there,can i change it for a full one in ireland.

If you get a full Australian licence you an convert it to a full Irish Licence when you return.

Not certain that it works the other way but generally speaking these agreements work both ways.

Question is whether you really need to convert an Irish licence to the Australian one - it depends on how long you are going to be in Oz for. If you are only there for a few months and renting cars then your Irish licence would be fine however if you intend buying a car and getting your own insurance out there they may require you to have an Australian Licence.

As you probably know the Irish Learner Permit is not recognised in any way in Oz and equally an Australian Learner Permit (or whatever they may be called) are not valid in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

ta,probably one year in ozz,but i think it would be easier to learn over there as over here everyone is up your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Karen09

im on my 2nd licence, first 'learners permit' however this is up in november, iv heard that if u have not booked your test before your second expires that you have to resit the theory test. Any one know if this is true??
    Sorry for hi-jacking the thread btw!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

sorry for bringing this back up..

but my provisonal is out of date a year, and im looking to get my 2nd prov / leaners permit.

how do i do this? just fill in the form, 2 photos, and the 15euro? and my old license?

do i need to do the eye test again?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Where can I even get the forms to apply for my second provisional!????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭jos22

colman1212 wrote: »
    Where can I even get the forms to apply for my second provisional!????

Garda station. it the same form used for the first one expected there is box to tick to say its your second. u need to provide new set of photos and return the current one to them. with the the form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elbitchio

What exactly do you need to renew your Learners Permit
    Completed Application form
    €15
    2 photgraphs
    Current learners permit

am I missing anything?

Also, do I return it to the Gardai or my local Motor Tax Office?

Any help much appreciated !

elbitchio wrote: »
    €15
    2 photgraphs
    Current learners permit

am I missing anything?

the same place you sent the first application form to think that all you need. most of the stuff they want they already have if it your second provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

looking for a bit of advice please,my provisional licence has expired about 4 yrs now at the moment i cant find it! do i have to sit the theory test all over again or what do i do . any help much appreciated as i want to get back into the driving seat again. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

kline64 wrote: »
    looking for a bit of advice please,my provisional licence has expired about 4 yrs now at the moment i cant find it! do i have to sit the theory test all over again or what do i do . any help much appreciated as i want to get back into the driving seat again. thanks

I'd say you would have to report it as lost/ stolen in your local Garda station. Im looking at the form now, and i cant see anything about it being lost... If it was me i'd call my local motor taxation office and ask them!! -oh, and when your on the phone to them you can ask them to post out a new form to you aswell - two birds with one stone!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abi sant clare

hi, do i need a cert again from my optician for my second learners permit. i wear glasses when i drive. i gave them a cert 2 years ago when i first applied

• Advertisement

hi, do i need a cert again from my optician for my second learners permit. i wear glasses when i drive. i gave them a cert 2 years ago when i first applied

No, its only required for the first application. The restriction (01 that you need corrective lenses) will automatically be applied to your 2nd permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

One of us has to apply for renewal of provisional driving licence ( learner permit ) , and we notice that one of the requirements is a medical report ( form D.501 ) completed by medical practisioner .

Can someone tell us if there is a charge for this report by the GP . - or is it free for medical card holder ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

elbitchio wrote: »
    €15
    2 photgraphs
    Current learners permit

am I missing anything?

Hi,

I'm in the same situation and my learners permit is up for renewal. Is that exactly what i need now? Just €15 cash in an envelope is it?

Thanks a million

TheTwiz wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the same situation and my learners permit is up for renewal. Is that exactly what i need now? Just €15 cash in an envelope is it?

Thanks a million

you need

€15 or what ever the current fee is
    2 photgraphs
    Current learners permit

and you sent it to the same place you applied for you first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Right i sent this off on Friday, how long should i expect to waiting for it to arrive in the post? I'm dying to get back on the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Notorious P.I.G

Hi, My first learners permit isnt out for just under 2 weeks yet, Ive filled out the forms and i want to send them away today but as i wont have my learners permit on for these 2 weeks will I be able to drive??

I have only just forked out an obscene amount of money for insurance and am finally getting the hang of it and to be off the road for the next 2 -3 weeks would be awful!!

so like if i was pulled by the guards and showed them my little receipt frm the motor tax office or even a photocopy of my permit thats not out of date yet woul i be alright?? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Boneitus

I did my first provisional ablut 4 years ago, lost it and the theory test certificate. Have been living away from Ireland so didnt really need it. But where do I start to apply for the permit again? Will I need to re-sit the theory test or can I just apply for the permit striaght away?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm in the Dublin City area and am wondering if I can renew my permit by post?
    I've no way of getting to the motor tax office during their opening hours. Or can I send someone else with the renewal form, money etc?

Thanks!

And if I apply by post, is it just the motor tax address I use- do I have to specify 'Application for learner permit' on the envelope or send it to a different department??

Advertisement