Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What petrol? Porsche 911

• 25-06-2008 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I heard somewhere that in S. Ireland you cant get higher octane fuels (apart from Maxol?)

The manual states that the car needs higher octane fuel than the 95. What do other Porsche users use? Is Maxol safe to use on newer Porsches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

spluff wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that in S. Ireland you cant get higher octane fuels (apart from Maxol?)

The manual states that the car needs higher octane fuel than the 95. What do other Porsche users use? Is Maxol safe to use on newer Porsches?

Yes Maxol is safe to use in your car. You should only be using Maxol E5. Average Octane rating of the E5 is 99.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Just make sure you use the Green pump (5% ethanol) and not the red pump (85% ethanol)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 spluff

many thanks for all your help :)

wanted to be sure the 5% ethanol mix wouldnt damage the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Maxol have clearly copped on to the fact that their fuel is more appealing to us petrol heads as I saw a big ad on the forecourt last week saying "99 octane" ... it used to say "better for the environment"! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I use Maxol E85, but 95 is apparently ok too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

logik wrote: »
    Yes Maxol is safe to use in your car. You should only be using Maxol E5. Average Octane rating of the E5 is 99.2.

Would this stop my jap subaru wrx piston melting again, just about to drop another engine in....the Irish petrol is killing it........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would this stop my jap subaru wrx piston melting again, just about to drop another engine in....the Irish petrol is killing it........

Time for a remap to Lower octane(Irish) fuel! WRX is used to 103 Octane in Japan....

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

your best bet to stop the pistons melting again is to buy a power fc or some kind of engine management system and getting it remapped for ordinary petrol ie 95 octane fuel power fc will also give a reading as to knock levels in the engine and if watched u should be able to spot detontion in it again saving u from another rebuild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 spluff

Anan1 wrote: »
    I use Maxol E85, but 95 is apparently ok too.

Anan what age 911 have you got? is it a 997?

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Have an 88 930....I just add the castrol octane/lead mix and off I go or should I say blast. No detonation etc. I just use it as a toy so its not a big issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

spluff wrote: »
    Anan what age 911 have you got? is it a 997?

Ta
    Afraid not, it's an 86. I'd be amazed if a 997 couldn't adapt to 95 though.

Advertisement