Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hotfile Premium Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

eircom could do anything but UPC dont give a rats ass, they won a recent court battle about giving there users the 3 strike rule. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4419-upc-in-ireland-win-legal-battle-against-anti-piracy-disconnections.html

so i cant see them doing it, but something is not right, VF is working fine aparantly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

AdrianII wrote: »
    eircom could do anything but UPC dont give a rats ass, they won a recent court battle about giving there users the 3 strike rule. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4419-upc-in-ireland-win-legal-battle-against-anti-piracy-disconnections.html

so i cant see them doing it, but something is not right, VF is working fine aparantly

I dont think eircom do anything unless told to by some fat cat whos bottom line is feeling the pinch. Great to see upc take the opposite approach to the interweb!

Im thinking now is there something to do with ports or the like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

but calex71 tested his account on a different isp and he got full speeds

pointing the finger towards upc, im guessing everyone here is upc??

I actually used remote desktop to my dad's to see for myself as I wasn;t believing him lol. but sure enough 700kb down vs 16 kb for me on the same file and account.

Tried 3 different DNS servers here also UPC , OpenDNS and Google's so rules that out too.

dont think it would be as your using the regular http port, just because you download from HF or RS it still uses the same ports as a regular download. i think port forwarding is more to do with torrents. (not 100% on that though)

correct me if im wrong

calex71 wrote: »
    Tried 3 different DNS servers here also UPC , OpenDNS and Google's so rules that out too.

iv ruled out dns, OS, Browser. it seems to be pointing to isp, has to be

• Advertisement

dont think it would be as your using the regular http port, just because you download from HF or RS it still uses the same ports as a regular download. i think port forwarding is more to do with torrents. (not 100% on that though)

correct me if im wrong

True, all http on port 80 if they throttled it everything would grind to a halt.

I was thinking more along what jdownloader uses for ports, but then again its only on hotfile downloads.

Imagine trying to ask eircom are you blocking hotfile downloads. See if/when hotfile email me what they say.

jeffk wrote: »
    I was thinking more along what jdownloader uses for ports, but then again its only on hotfile downloads.

I imagine it's the same, but as people have said they get the same speed downloading through browsers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

iv ruled out dns, OS, Browser. it seems to be pointing to isp, has to be

It's pointing to hotfile really as I'm still getting full speed from RS or from torrents. And this isn't a problem only affecting Irish UPC users, also i just don't see why UPC would just go after hotfile.

Playing around with max connections in jdownloader seems to make it hit full speeds.

• Advertisement

Playing around with max connections in jdownloader seems to make it hit full speeds.

What did you change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

el dude wrote: »
    What did you change?
    presumably all jeffk did was increase the number of max connections at the bottom of the jD window until he reached full speed.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    presumably all jeffk did was increase the number of max connections at the bottom of the jD window until he reached full speed.

Sorry im just back from a match. Thats it, I was screen-shooting/editing and about to try and remember a photo hoster and then post an image of my jdownloader.

just used Print Screen and MS Paint :)
    hoster: wthax.org

this is on the bottom of the jDownloader program and just set the red box higher til you get your speed.
    jD.jpg

i don't use Premium so i'm stuck with 1 connection per file.

just used Print Screen and MS Paint :)
    hoster: wthax.org

this is on the bottom of the jDownloader program and just set the red box higher til you get your speed.
    jD.jpg

i don't use Premium so i'm stuck with 1 connection per file.

I was in the midst of that, but got slowed down on editing it , the ole graphics side of pcs is news to me, id love to learn more in time.

I have it @ 8 and 8, roughly the tippy top of what id hope to get from eircom, it never effects my browsing, well unless im on utube or that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 panseviltwin

This worked perfectly for me thanks soo much

Correction: did work but after a while the speed just whittles back down again to around 300kb. so annoying MoH is calling to me

This worked perfectly for me thanks soo much

No worries your welcome, good to see it works for someone else :D

Just seeing your edit now,strange ive had 4 or 5 downloads hitting top speeds with this.

Ah right. Already had it at 5(which is the max recommendation for hotfile), so that's not it.

Bought a month to fileserve to do me until hotfile gets sorted out, if ever. Speeds have been blinding so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Yeah I must agree with all the other posts. I have been using Rapidshare premium the past couple of years and I still do. It's just that lately more files are on hotfile so I decided to give it a go. What a BIG MISTAKE that was. I have shown a screen cap of both downloads and you can see the difference. I have tried to just use hotfile and speeds are still the same. Im glad not I just signed up for 1 month. I think I'll be sticking with rapidshare which is tried and trusted.
    Oh btw I'm on UPC so I don't think its an ISP problem.

rapidsharehotfiledownlo.png

• Advertisement

If/when you change, go to Fileserve...Thats where most links are or are @ least on a par with hotfile.

@Luckycharms, you downloaded from hotfile with Mozilla => one connection per file. with the RS manager, i'd say that multiple connections are set up per file allowing a faster download.

though i've gotten faster speeds with MU than the screengrab posted. lately, i've gotten between 2 and 3 MB/s with MU. at first i thought it was a mistake but it's been consistent and only 5 or 6 of my last few downloads have been less than a meg download (i'd download maybe 20-30 files a week) and this has been happening since the beginning of september.
    just be worth exploring downloading a few files with MU free to see what kind of speeds ye get. can't say that i've had any problem finding MU links for content, around on par with hotfile and fileserve, i'd say :/

how are peoples speeds today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Getting shocking speeds with HF today. Im using flashget. Have UPC 15MB. Have three files downloading at the moment. I seem to be able to download one part from a set of link at a decent speed, the rest are barely even downloading. Seems suspect. Move onto the next set of links and same thing happens, one part downloads fine then other parts die :mad:

Three files on HF dling at

Have three downloading now from RS just out of curiousity and three of them going att around 400.00 each

• Registered Users Posts: 17 redbull1985

im getting mixed speeds from 500kbs to 20kbs which the latter is more common 9/10 and its stressing me out.
    the damn free service is faster overall.
    ive 3mb upc broadband which is extremely fast.
    had rapidshare before which used my top speed, moved to hotfile as they seemed to be the uploaders prefered choice these days rapidshare will be getting my cash next time.
    ive emailed them and expect to be sitting in a long queue

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I suppose the backlash from rapdishare falling apart has finally caught up on their servers.
    Guys can some please explain to me - or link me up - on what happened with the Rapidshare backlash? I used to use Rapidsahre but stopped just before this happened, I never really heard what happened though. Where did most people go after? If someone was setting up a new account now, which service is the best to choose? Will Hotfile speeds get back to normal or is it better to go with someone else. If all the links out there are with hotfile, not much point in going to a new service if there are not enough files out there to download...

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys can some please explain to me - or link me up - on what happened with the Rapidshare backlash? I used to use Rapidsahre but stopped just before this happened, I never really heard what happened though. Where did most people go after? If someone was setting up a new account now, which service is the best to choose? Will Hotfile speeds get back to normal or is it better to go with someone else. If all the links out there are with hotfile, not much point in going to a new service if there are not enough files out there to download...
    Link to original thread about changes in Rapidshare
    They changed their pricing structure and introduced "Rapids" as a currency for downloading, and stopped rewarding people for uploading. That pissed off the uploaders who could sustain their storage by uploading material with Collector's accounts, so all the uploaders left RS and most moved to Hotfile afaik. They changed the pricing structure 2 or 3 times since then, and though some people thought it was good value with the initial change, somehow they bollixed that up by changing it again, making it dearer for users.

so now most uploaders have gone to HF or FileServe for premium accounts. people seem to be having speed troubles with HF recently (as low as a few kilobytes/second) but users here seem to be faster with FileServe.
    i don't have enough money for premium accounts but i personally find MegaUpload to have top-notch speeds as a free user (2-3MB[s most times) but i can't have multiple connections or multiple files downloading at the same time. I have noticed a rise in FS links recently but i haven't had any bother finding links for any file host though RS links have declined but they're still around if you know where to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Move to Usenet, Astraweb does 180Gb for $25 with no time limit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Inquitus wrote: »
    Move to Usenet, Astraweb does 180Gb for $25 with no time limit.
    Cool yeah I've heard Newgroups are the way to go. Is there anything else required apart from this Astraweb subscription?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Zascar wrote: »
    Cool yeah I've heard Newgroups are the way to go. Is there anything else required apart from this Astraweb subscription?

You also need a sub at an indexing site, NZBmatrix is 10yoyos for 10 years or newzbin is £6.50 for 3 months.

Advertisement