Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toll Charge for a car I used to own

Options
  • 21-07-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Sold my car 1 and a half weeks ago around 11pm. Sent off the log book the next day as usual.

However yesterday I arrived home to find a notice from eflow saying my car passed the M50 the night i sold the car at 11.30pm and i have incurred a charge of €6 and i have until next week to pay before the charge is €40.

Clearly the lads the i sold the car to passed through the toll. Do eflow have a procedure here, also how long does it take the Tax office to process a log book.

Anybody else ever been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Just call e-flrow and tell them the situation and that if they check now the car should be in a new name and that's who should be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Well let me update you on the situation. I rang that very day and explained my case to the guy over the phone who I must say very polite and understanding. He told me that he would put the charge on hold until the system was updated and the I shouldn't hear from them again.

Over a month later I recieved a letter saying I now owed up to €68 and that an external company had been employed to collect the money from me. So I rang eflow again and explanined the situation and that I was under the impression the issue had been dealt with. The operator said that he would ensure to fix the matter.

Last week (Another month wait) I recieved a letter from eflow sayin the transaction was still valid as the date of sale they believe is three days after what it actually was(15th of July). They also told me that they were no longer dealing with the issue as it had been sent on to a solicitors office who I was told would be contacting me shortly. (wtf?)

So I contacted the vechicle registration crowd in Clare, who confirm that the vechicle date of sale was the 12th, the date of the toll. I am now awaiting the letter from them so I can send it on to eflow and their solicitors who will probably send me letter demanding over €140.

At times I wondered maybe I should have paid that initial €6 and have been done with it but why should I. It was no longer my car, I wasnt driving and I shouldn't be paying for anyone elses toll.

I cannot express enough my anger and frustration of eflow who when told me everything was fine on 2 ocassions then proceeded increasing the fine and then followed up with legal proceedings, recieved incorrect information quoting a incorrect date from their database. As a normally mild mannered person who never had any bad dealings with the Gardaí, I found the situation extremely stressfull and upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

in hindsight you probably should have just paid it and be done with it, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. TBH you did what you could and their staff seem to have made a total arse of it. At this stage I would not be paying anything though as they've ****ed up again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

sounds like you have a pretty valid reason for not paying it, if all the above details are true all I can say it eflow staff sound pretty incompetent

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

this happened to me. Sold the car and a few days later I had a lot of charges on my account. Was sorted out quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

In hindsight you still did what was right by not paying. Nothing will happen from this anyway. No matter what the eflow staff say, the computer still seems to send out the letters. I had same experience. I simply rang and told them I would not be paying. I also sent them an e-mail and quoted the phone rep too.

In these situations always get the persons name and have proof that you tried to avoid the whole situation. Should it ever come to a court summons, simply show the judge and have the matter thrown out. Simples.

Another situation I had with E-Flow was someone drove my car thru m50. I allowed them to drive car but unaware they took m50. They didn't pay. I got no notice until the day after the months fixed rate. I rang fuming saying that if I got the letter I would have paid the 6 euro fee plus the late 6 euro charge, but wasn't paying the extra because I wasn't notified. It was a gamble to do as I am well aware as the car owner it's my responsibility, but I refused to budge and they agreed to accept the 12 euro only :D

When I confronted the mate his excuse was he tail gated a truck and thought the camera didn't see him. His first and last time using the car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

in hindsight you probably should have just paid it and be done with it, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. TBH you did what you could and their staff seem to have made a total arse of it. At this stage I would not be paying anything though as they've ****ed up again and again.

Yes, but remember it's not a matter of just paying the 6 euro and moving on, because the new owner might cross the bridge every day and run up more and more costs. So you really do have to get it sorted properly.

Advertisement