Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

• 24-09-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

So the rumours at TGS have been flying all over the shop. Here's what's been said:
    In the past few hours, a ton of information has been leaked about the next arcade version of Street Fighter 4 tentatively titled . . . Super Street Fighter 4! Apparently, a few lucky people got to play an early build of the game and weren’t wearing their promise rings . . .

Here’s the meat of we’ve heard through the grapevine:

- All console characters selectable
    - Dudley, Ibuki, and Makoto from 3rd Strike playable
    - Cody, Adon, and Guy from the Alpha series playable
    - Deejay and T.Hawk from Super Street Fighter II series playable
    - Each character will have two different Ultras and one Super
    - 3rd Strike characters will have all 3 of their Supers (two as Ultras, one as a Super)

- Two NEW characters: Hakan and Juri
    - Hakan: an oil-crazed Arabian grappler
    - Juri: an Asian fighter girl working under Seth

Wow! That’s a lot of stuff. Is it all true? We should know something concrete very soon!

This could really change the state of Street Fighter 4 . . .

Original Website

More detailed information can be found here!

All I can say is **** you and your T. Hawk.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Im not sure i like the idea of 2 ultras

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

IBUKI!!!
    :):):)
    35c456394ffc54298c251baac41b12c2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds interesting. Would really like Ibuki in the cast, love playing her in 3rd strike. 2 Ultras would be good as well, some characters with nerfed ultras could be given a choice.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. Would really like Ibuki in the cast, love playing her in 3rd strike. 2 Ultras would be good as well, some characters with nerfed ultras could be given a choice.

Imagine sagat with 2 ultras though

bush wrote: »
    Imagine sagat with 2 ultras though
    Probably Tiger Shot Supers.
    sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I hate the idea of two ultras tbh. It really puts me off. Also I'm probably the only one but there is such a thing as too many characters. I'd really rather four or five new characters than only two new and eight old ones returning.

Creature wrote: »
    I hate the idea of two ultras tbh. It really puts me off. Also I'm probably the only one but there is such a thing as too many characters. I'd really rather four or five new characters than only two new and eight old ones returning.

Ye with all those new characters and 2 ultras they will have a hard job getting the balance right. Im surprised by how much they are changing the game.

Any fighting game worth its salt is relatively unbalanced.
    It's finding counters that makes it fun! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sure it will be a choice between two ultras before the match starts. I'm sure capcom will balance it out by giving characters with nerfed ultras another ultra that is easier to set up and hopefully reducing the amount of set ups some characters have for their ultras cough...sagat and ryu...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ibuki eh? Cammy might go out the window.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be a choice between two ultras before the match starts. I'm sure capcom will balance it out by giving characters with nerfed ultras another ultra that is easier to set up and hopefully reducing the amount of set ups some characters have for their ultras cough...sagat and ryu...

Its not a choice at the start, you can use either one in a match.

Yeah, you wouldn't like Dudley; he's not a charge fighter.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

RopeDrink keyboard players can play very effectively with non shoto characters as well, of course keyboard has a step learning curve but I don't think it would hold you back for long. Delatroy proved that to me in ST where the timings are much tougher than SF IV.

As for SSF IV I'll with hold positive judgement until I hear Bison has got his cape back and a Tuesday taunt!

Azza wrote: »

As for SSF IV I'll with hold positive judgement until I hear Bison has got his cape back and a Tuesday taunt!

And hopefully with a less safe scissors kick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Monkeyto wrote: »
    So the rumours at TGS have been flying all over the shop. Here's what's been said:]

More detailed information can be found here!

All detail from that 2nd site on has been pulled.
    There was an article up earlier today about some forum postings about Super SFIV rumors. I bookmarked it and now the article is gone. What happened?
    site wrote:
    Feel free to discuss what you know about Super Street Fighter IV in the forums, but yes it was removed from the front page.

Interesting - I'd say thats as close to a comfirmation as you could get that its true - I.E. capcom ordering a cease and desist to the site!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

bush wrote:
    And hopefully with a less safe scissors kick

And have a totally safe Psycho Crusher in its place one that beats everything Blanka has clean :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No EX characters :(

Surprised that they didn't choose Alex from SF III as he's the main hero of that series.

Will be awesome to have Adon in the game.

Would have preferred almost any other Alpha character over Cody though, Birdie or Karin particularly.

Now will they be able to release this as a huge DLC patch or will it have to be bought on disk. Hopefully the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ah gar, away with your ex.

Where the **** is ORO, for reals !?
    anyway i dont think they should release this for a while, the game has not matured yet and everyones still trying to get good, several strategies not even found . Take 3s for example , sure while red parry was not strategy or a hidden gem, when i posted about it on srk in 05, 80% of people didnt know either.

anyway i think too many characters to be honest, you need to know every characters moves in order to compete against them properly. thats too many and too early, i say delay this for a year at least !

also i know SF3 has 3 revisions..... but this is too fast for me

ALSO i want more alternative costumes !

also speed up the game and eh bring back parries ;)

I wouldnt say this will be on consoles untill at least this time next year.

This is too big an update for DLC. Let's be realistic here - they are talking about more characters, new animations for existing characters, and an engine overhaul.
    And more importantly, if this was DLC, can you imagine the nightmare we, or any tourney organiser in the world would have?

As for this release being "too early", consider that Capcom had sequels for SF2, SFA and SF3 within 1yr each, followed by the "best" version after a 2yr wait. And it needs a new version NOW to compete with Tekken 6 BR, BlazBlue Continuum Shift, Melty Blood etc.
    This is the nature of arcades.

This will be a new disk/arcade board. It will be huge. And we will adapt.
    Quit whinging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

yeah and look at
    ALPHA
    ALPHA 2

SF3 1st impact
    SF3 2nd impact

all dead, because they were all leading a to a final polished version, this has always been the case but seeing as SF4 has turned out so so well !

who wants to spend hours practicing to have it go to waste with the new iteration with new moves etc

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I hope to god you can keep your GP in the new version......I'd hate to go through all that again!(I wouldn't) If not, your rank should at least get an aknowledgement....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Thanks for the heads up monkeyto, looking forward to more info and concrete details! That new grappler character sounds interesting (even if he is a bit of a stereotype :D)

Placebo wrote: »
    yeah and look at
    ALPHA
    ALPHA 2

SF3 1st impact
    SF3 2nd impact

all dead, because they were all leading a to a final polished version, this has always been the case but seeing as SF4 has turned out so so well !

who wants to spend hours practicing to have it go to waste with the new iteration with new moves etc
    It's not like they're changing the motions for SRK. If you want to complain about movesets, play 3D. Ah, Jin Kazama. Will you ever stop changing your fvcking style?

Also, Alpha 2 Gold > Alpha 3; and there was no SF3:NG ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sounds promising but I do feel that there are probably too many changes being made for just 1 folow up. 10 players and 2 ultras for everyone? This game will need to be tested to death.

Not too pushed about some of the reintroduced charachters, mainly the SFA characters. DeeJay will be cool and am also looking forward to Ibuki and Makoto who are good choices from SF3 (hated alot of the crazy characters from that game).

I'm wondering if Juri will be a Cammy clone (sounds like Juni and Juli).

Juni = June, Juli = July.
    AFAIK all of Cammy's clone-sisters are named after the 12 months of the year.

Additionally, Juri is described as an "all-new" character, and I don't think even Capcom could make that claim with a Cammy-clone.

Oh, and it's not 10 new characters - it's 2.
    We've been testing the other 8 for the past few months now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Personally I would like to see additional background stages.
    I know its not a big thing but a lot of the stages in the Aplha series were very dramatic and really made some fights.

SF4 was a little lazy with;
    Downtown, Downtown at night
    Jungle, Jungle at night
    Temple... agh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Personally I would like to see additional background stages.
    I know its not a big thing but a lot of the stages in the Aplha series were very dramatic and really made some fights.

SF4 was a little lazy with;
    Downtown, Downtown at night
    Jungle, Jungle at night
    Temple... agh.

I would like to return to the days when each character had his/her own stage and theme.

K.O.Kiki...not sure what to think of that comment about testing the other 8...you know something we dont? :D

I was half-asleep, and totally mixed up the SFIV console characters with the returning 8.

But technically, we've been testing them for 10 yrs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

1st of all these are rumours so I'm taking all this as pure hear say. I mean there was a lot of talk about rolento and now thats vanished. Indeed its odd to add 3s people and not add alex since he was meant to be the main character...

however I'd so love it if they did add those mentioned characters.

Anyway as perfect as SFIV is compared to other initial releases, as I said in the 3s V sf4 thread I really look forward to its next irritation. Dash needs to be faster with less of a delay between the dash ending and your ability to perform a move. Not everyone will agree with me on that but I'm sure most if not all will agree with this:

They seriously need to remove the 'auto correct' bull**** that does nothing but reward noobs mashing out random reversals and PUNISH those who successfully predicted a move and jumped over it...

They need to remove the short cuts too. But the auto correct needs to feckin die. In the very rare times that its helped me, it just felt cheap.

Anyway back to the rumours... I don't like the sounds of those new characters at all, mainly the middle eastern oil crazy guy, isnt it the americans that are oil crazy? :p But yeah either way thats getting into dodgy territory...

2 ultras? **** that I hope thats not true, I was hoping for a toning down of the ultras and more love given to supers again.. give us 2 supers!!! I love super canceling and I hate how rare it is in sf4 due to ultras...

Ultras need to be rarer then supers tbh....

Also I full expect it to be at least a year before we're playing whatever they do come out with so for those only getting into sf4 now, no need to worry. Anyways even though these are rumours I hope they help push the real SSF4 to include potentially my new main :D

Advertisement