Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

You lost me at bru. Never had anything but average meals in that place since the day it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pipmae

IvoryTower wrote: »
    You lost me at bru. Never had anything but average meals in that place since the day it opened.

I agree totally. They love their microwaves. The food for children is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Hey all,

There's a great deal online for Maria's at the moment:

http://www.thediningroom.ie/offer/277654?pb_aid=MDP&pb_cid=b9c097c4&utm_source=mydealpage&utm_campaign=20170204&utm_medium=affiliate&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mydealpage.ie%2F

Just thought I'd share as it's a nice place and I'm buying one myself :)

I was in Duende at Southgate last night, really nice! It was not what I expected, really big and a very relaxed feel to it.
    The tapas was extremely tasty and not expensive at all. Plus the waitress was absolutely lovely.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Hey all,

http://www.thediningroom.ie/offer/277654?pb_aid=MDP&pb_cid=b9c097c4&utm_source=mydealpage&utm_campaign=20170204&utm_medium=affiliate&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mydealpage.ie%2F

I was in Duende at Southgate last night, really nice! It was not what I expected, really big and a very relaxed feel to it.
    The tapas was extremely tasty and not expensive at all. Plus the waitress was absolutely lovely.

nice one! Great value

nice one! Great value

I think the voucher is designed for 2 people to share but my friend and I are buying one each for the 6 haha :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Picked this up myself the other day.

I really don't understand the negative comments about ESB. Personally, I think it's the best restaurant in Drogheda and it's reputation spreads far beyond the borders of the town (I'm not originally from here) and I think it's something for the town to be quite proud of as it rivals anything seen in the major cities.
    The only slight problem I have with the place is that you tend to be left waiting a fair while after asking for the bill. We've started just going up to the till to pay when we're done, cos we like to sit up at the bar for a few after anyway.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Hey all,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Helmet wrote: »
    Picked this up myself the other day.

I really don't understand the negative comments about ESB. Personally, I think it's the best restaurant in Drogheda and it's reputation spreads far beyond the borders of the town (I'm not originally from here) and I think it's something for the town to be quite proud of as it rivals anything seen in the major cities.
    The only slight problem I have with the place is that you tend to be left waiting a fair while after asking for the bill. We've started just going up to the till to pay when we're done, cos we like to sit up at the bar for a few after anyway.

Great food, but pretty poor customer appreciation/service is my assessment of ESB......

......we haven't been in for ages because last time we were in they kept pestering us for the table back.....bearing in mind they told us when we booked they'd need it back by 8-15, then they told us when we arrived, they told us when they seated us and they told us when they took our order.....

......and when we were contemplating dessert they reminded us again (even though it was barely 7-30 at that point).

All of which would be fine, except they did exactly the same the time we were in before that......and they did it again when I was in there with a bunch of colleagues - which was pretty dumb considering instead of gently shuffling us off to the bar area to continue our catching up session they managed to annoy us enough to settle the bill and hop in a couple of taxis to the Black Bull.

We don't even consider it now when heading for a night out - but other people's experiences may be different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Duck Confit there is one of my favorite dishes anywhere, but +1 to the "poor service" side of things. I believe the man who used to be manager has moved on, so maybe thats improved things, but there was some of the more senior staff in years gone by who were massively unfriendly, and gave off the sense that I was annoying them by, ya know, being a customer and wanting them to take my order, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Teapot30

I hate bru, have been a couple of times and never enjoyed the food, its always bland and very greasy.

Id recommend Harpers on the Quay it's to die for, the Lasagne and chips are amazing and they do a nice breakfast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

I have to say this - rum and coke chicken wings starter at BlackBull is savage. Delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Smithstown diner has had a revamp and the food from their Facebook page looks good.
    Anyone been to it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Went to The Valley inn for the first time in years during the week. Big improvement from what I remember of the place. 3 of us had, chicken curry, a baked cod dinner and a sandwich. Couple of minerals and teas followed by fudge brownie which was the nicest I've had in a while, profiteroles and a sherry trifle. Decent value I think at €45. I'll be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Smithstown diner has had a revamp and the food from their Facebook page looks good.
    Anyone been to it yet?

Where is that place?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

fh041205 wrote: »
    Where is that place?

Beside the Glenside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

markc1184 wrote: »
    Went to The Valley inn for the first time in years during the week. Big improvement from what I remember of the place. 3 of us had, chicken curry, a baked cod dinner and a sandwich. Couple of minerals and teas followed by fudge brownie which was the nicest I've had in a while, profiteroles and a sherry trifle. Decent value I think at €45. I'll be back again.

I'm quite a fan of the Valley! Food and service are consistent, no matter what time of the day you go! They cater for families very well and the staff are all lovely. Their sticky toffee pudding is the best in town, it's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

West 29.
    Surprise party with a group of 20, first time there , they took the surprise element very well and placed us in a quiet corner to await the birthday person.
    Service was excellent , what I noticed most was the floor manager.....there were seven steaks ordered all of different cooking times.....
    Everything and I mean every dish arrived to the tables cooked correctly within 4 minutes of each other , I was designated driver that night so was watching everything .
    Faultless.
    Plus excellent value for money.

moonshadow wrote: »
    West 29.
    Surprise party with a group of 20, first time there , they took the surprise element very well and placed us in a quiet corner to await the birthday person.
    Service was excellent , what I noticed most was the floor manager.....there were seven steaks ordered all of different cooking times.....
    Everything and I mean every dish arrived to the tables cooked correctly within 4 minutes of each other , I was designated driver that night so was watching everything .
    Faultless.
    Plus excellent value for money.

A fabulous restaurant. Been a few times and it's always been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

I went to Smithstown recently and found it just ok. I had been looking forward to having my breakfast in it since it reopened. I ordered the smithstown breakfast which was supposed to have fried potatoes with it. When mine arrived out it was minus the potatoes. I asked the waitress if they potatoes were coming and she went to check in the kitchen. She returned and told me that they finish serving breakfast at 12...which I should have been told when ordering. I then asked for some chips instead. The waitress went off to the kitchen and returned to tell me that the chips would be extra which I found a bit uncalled for....plus in the meantime the fella at the table across from orders a portion of the fried potatoes, which he gets!!

I will return as I would like to see it do well, but they really need to fine tune things. They can't stop serving breakfast at 12 as this is what it was famous for!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I thought Smithtown have an all day breakfast? Was here a few weeks ago at 3pm and lots were ordering a breakfast

It was also in the menu. Seems odd they said breakfast finished at 12

Donegans, decent enough burger, had to put ketchup on it to give it a bit of life which isn't usually a good sign. Not bad though.

Sage & stone, again, decent enough burger, still yet to find one that's close to the standard of the many burger joints around dublin, the cross had it there for a while until yer man left, nice cafe though can see why it has a good rep

Kings - sausage wrap, still my fave breakfast

Reddans(used to be neptune in bettystown) - 8.50 to feed a toddler with 2 goujons and some frozen chips. Says it all.

Lemonade - the bap special is still amazing, the chicken wrap special not so much, think it was honey and mustard or something, not for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Went to the Glyde Inn (O'Neills) in Anagassan yesterday - total shambles! Worst meal I've had out in a long time! I know it was Easter Sunday, but they didn't seem to be overly busy except that they had a Christening as well. We booked our table a week in advanced as we were a large party - 8 adults, 3 kids & 1 tiny baby. They shoved us in a corner right beside the toilets with no room.
    They went from extremely eager to take our order as in literally two minutes after we'd sat down to us having to ask them could we order. We then waited for an hour to get our starters. Even when we asked two people if it would be much longer, we still waited another 15 minutes for them. And most of the starters were for soup which I assume is already made in a cauldron and just has to be ladled into bowls. We then waited at least another half an hour for our mains. Again, they were all the standard beef or turkey & ham which you'd assume are made and just have to plated. Anyway, when they came out, all the food was cold. :mad::mad::mad:

Absolutely horrendous - hadn't been there in years & defo won't be back. Manager was about as useful as a chocolate teapot, we weren't the only table complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I've been to the Salthouse Brasserie a few times over the past few months. Food is always lovely, usually go for the pulled pork bap which is very tasty. Partner usually gets a triple decker club which looks amazing. Had the eggs benedict for brekkie too which was amazing. Deffo would recommend.

Anybody try the new place where WM Cairns used to be?

Kings on stockwell street my fave spot now in town, then for a burger the corkscrew in tullyallen. Best burger in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DDad2009

Not a restaurant but I see a new Thai food place is opening up on Lawences St! Kanoodle, been to a couple of their chains and the food is always good. Great for coeliacs too, they note every dish on the menu that's gluten free.

I'll start be declaring an interest - I'm a member of L&B Golf Club.

The club has recently changed caterers and the new guy is excellent. Some nice takes on what might be considered 'clubhouse classics' - for example, the burger is a quality steak mince on a good chunky, artisan-type bap with thrice-fried chips - the 'mixed grill' is a generous gourmet sausage, a pork chop and a few other bits and pieces and the club sandwich has sweet peppers and what can only be described as 'micro-tomatoes' along with the bacon and chicken.

Last week I had a lovely piece of grilled hake on a pea risotto with micro-herbs - it was gorgeous. The fish was grilled to perfection and the risotto had a lovely creamy texture, without being mushy.

DDad2009 wrote: »
    Not a restaurant but I see a new Thai food place is opening up on Lawences St! Kanoodle, been to a couple of their chains and the food is always good. Great for coeliacs too, they note every dish on the menu that's gluten free.

Brilliant, have been to Kanoodle in clontarf, its very fresh and tasty.

On the other side of things we really need a good burger place in Drogheda, a bunsen or wowburger would be great

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'll start be declaring an interest - I'm a member of L&B Golf Club.

The club has recently changed caterers and the new guy is excellent. Some nice takes on what might be considered 'clubhouse classics' - for example, the burger is a quality steak mince on a good chunky, artisan-type bap with thrice-fried chips - the 'mixed grill' is a generous gourmet sausage, a pork chop and a few other bits and pieces and the club sandwich has sweet peppers and what can only be described as 'micro-tomatoes' along with the bacon and chicken.

Last week I had a lovely piece of grilled hake on a pea risotto with micro-herbs - it was gorgeous. The fish was grilled to perfection and the risotto had a lovely creamy texture, without being mushy.

I'm just around the corner from that golf club, I didnt realize it was open to non members. I'll have to give it a try

thorbarry wrote: »
    I'm just around the corner from that golf club, I didnt realize it was open to non members. I'll have to give it a try

Yeah......we'll take your money :D

Restaurant is downstairs and to the left as you go in - bar is upstairs.

Sunday lunch is 2 courses for €17-50 and 3 for €21-50.....last week's menu

421744.jpg

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yeah......we'll take your money :D

Restaurant is downstairs and to the left as you go in - bar is upstairs.

Sunday lunch is 2 courses for €17-50 and 3 for €21-50.....last week's menu

421744.jpg

Good to know cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

DDad2009 wrote: »

Brilliant news, their food is delicious!

Advertisement