Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Yes yes found them quite pricey indeed. Think she opening where the OLD jaffa used to be! Don't think shes open yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10 soulkid555

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Drogheda for dinner on a Saturday night?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Detailed thread on Drogheda restaurants here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055302804

D'Vine is the best in town at the moment imho.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

I haven't eaten in many chippers in locally maybe 3 in Drogheda and the two in Bettystown and I have yet to find any that beats Borza in Wheaton Hall. Class chipper.

Can anyone who has eaten there say there is better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭event

The eastern seaboard, hands down for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Carra23 wrote: »
    I haven't eaten in many chippers in locally maybe 3 in Drogheda and the two in Bettystown and I have yet to find any that beats Borza in Wheaton Hall. Class chipper.

Can anyone who has eaten there say there is better ?

Really? I find every time I get chips there, I have to dump 3/4ers of them cause they are bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Theres pne in the centre of town that is meant to be good and Brunos in Aston Village is highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

West 29 but you'd need to book. It's my favourite at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

furiousox wrote: »
    Detailed thread on Drogheda restaurants here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055302804

D'Vine is the best in town at the moment imho.

+1 On the recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Was in the market cafe at the boyne shopping centre this week for a vegetarian fry up. Delicious it was.
    First time in the gaff for me but i was impressed with the size of the place and the layout. And the menu looks very extensive. Thumbs up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Was in the black bull last night for the early bird, was very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

Was in Nans out in Laytown today, bloody delicious. Loved the menu, I had the pulled pork sandwich and my friend had a lentil burger. Refreshing to see something different from the norm, I'd no room left but looked like there were some nice desserts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Is Woks Cooking in Wheaton Hall under new ownership?
    We've been using it almost every weekend since day one and it's generally been consistently good.
    It's nearly always been Karen who answers the phone but tonight it was someone new.
    We placed our usual order of salt & pepper chicken, crispy shredded chilli chicken, fried rice & beansprouts.
    Oh dear........
    It was awful, I've never seen so much food from Woks Cooking left uneaten.
    It was completely different from what we're used to.
    The salt & pepper chicken used to be dry and crunchy, tonight it was stodgy, greasy and really oily.
    The crispy shredded chicken just wasn't nice, the beansprouts were bland and mushy, the rice was...meh.
    You were left with an overall feeling of having consumed an almost toxic level of grease and oil!
    The ingredients and presentation of the food seemed different, the food containers were different and they have a new glossy booklet type menu.
    It all points towards new ownership, has anyone else noticed the change?
    And where are we going to get our Saturday Chinese take away from now??

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Time for another Hit & Miss:

Hit: Lemonade Café (near Tescos). Their Chicken Brocalli bake with a choice of salads is delish!! Fresh, tasty food and a lovely building!! worth a visit.

Miss: Moorland Café: Surely someone couldn't go wrong with beans on toast, right? Well they can, when they come out and hand them to a toddler after microwaving them to 3000 degrees centigrade. Avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kormak wrote: »
    Time for another Hit & Miss:

Hit: Lemonade Café (near Tescos). Their Chicken Brocalli bake with a choice of salads is delish!! Fresh, tasty food and a lovely building!! worth a visit.

Miss: Moorland Café: Surely someone couldn't go wrong with beans on toast, right? Well they can, when they come out and hand them to a toddler after microwaving them to 3000 degrees centigrade. Avoid!
    can never understand how the moorland is always so busy

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

whelan2 wrote: »
    can never understand how the moorland is always so busy
    location, location, location!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Hit: Lemonade Café ... lovely building!!

It's a feckin' greenhouse! Gets very hot in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

It's a feckin' greenhouse! Gets very hot in the summer.

THIS !!!! have they put in blinds yet for the sun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

location, location, location!
    i last went in a few years ago and swore never again ,the grease was nearly running off the plate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Does the City North restaurant count as Drogheda? Just on the outskirts....

Had a meal there over the weekend in the Morningtown Restaurant (their "nicer" dining area) and walked away disappointed. Not because of the food, mind. The food was delicious and we got 3 courses and coffee for just over 20 quid.

But the service.....in fairness, there was two parties in it at the same time as us, which seemed to be taking up a lot of their attention, but it didn't change the fact that my group and two others seemed to be practically ignored for large portions of the time we were there. For a large time we were there, there was no staff on the floor at all.

There was no one at the door/counter to bring you to your seat or even acknowledge you had arrived (I saw several people walk in, couldn't see any staff so left...). I get some may enjoy a leisurely lunch, but we were trying to make it clear a few times that we were done with our courses. We had our order taken by a higher member of staff who disappeared when our mains arrived (in fairness, maybe she was covering and had other stuff to do), but when we finished our meal, it was 25 minutes before anyone asked if we were finished and cleared our plates, this in spite of us trying to make eye contact with the staff there who were working on and off the parties. Likewise, when we finished our desserts, we practically had to tackle someone to the ground in order to get a bill; I reckon we could have walked out without paying and no-one would have noticed for a while. I actually think one couple did walk out eventually, though they may have left their money at the table; they certainly seemed to be looking around with increasing frustration for someone to just confirm their dining experience was over.

As I said, the food was grand and maybe they were getting frazzled by the fact there were two parties there at once. But I felt that in the 2 hours we were there, we spent a good half the time searching for a staff member to help us move on to the next stage of the meal/getting out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

frogstar wrote: »
    I didn't know bt's changed ownership.

Was that recent? I had a very similar experience over a month ago. Actually walked out and went to reddins for coffee instead. No view but coffee was nice.

I also find BT's menu overpriced. Esp for breakfast

I think the old owner of BT's ( tina) is now running a place in Tullyallen - the corkscrew cafe( or similar) , people seem to be raving about how good it is, I came across it by chance on trip Advisor....going to try and get up there within the next couple of weeks. If anyone has tried it would love to know what they thought.

I think BT's still does good food but the service has gone downhill definitely since it's changed hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭United Park

Any recommendations for a good lunch deal on fridays?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Any recommendations for a good lunch deal on fridays?

Pulled pork bap from a Centra is €4 and I kid you not they are fookin delicious! as good as any pulled pork bap you will get any where !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

We were in The Kitchen over the weekend for lunch. Very impressed.
    I had the day's special sandwich, lovely roast beef and horseradish sauce.
    My wife had the lamb kofta wrap, again really tasty and nice an spicey without being overpowering.
    Along with that we had a local Jack Cody beer and a coke.

The wee one had the carrot and cumin soup and lapped it into her. We shared a tasty chocolate mouse cake and 2 coffees.

All in all it came to just under 30 quid for the three of us, which I think is brilliant value. You'd pay the same in O'Brien's or Centra for a cardboard sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Had a lovely meal in West 29 yesterday this place is well worth a visit, the service and food is top class, the little extras are also great the breads and the Indonesian soup both compliments of the chef were very very tasty, food is very reasonably priced and a great variety on the menu..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Went to Maria's on Laurence's Street for lunch on Saturday. Definite thumbs up from us :) Two of us had a ciabatta roll with chicken, bacon & chorizo. Was very tasty. Wasn't massive either, was just the right size. Sometimes ciabatta rolls are massive and all you get is a mouthful of bread. The other member of our party had chicken curry & chips. Very nicely presented & tasted lovely. Chips were nicely done too.

All in for three lunches & three teas, it was 28euro. Quite reasonable I thought. Will look forward to trying it again, perhaps in the evening time. Staff were very nice too :) Nice to see a bit of diversity appearing in the town lunch menus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Have been to Eastern Seaboard a couple of times for Sunday lunch recently, it's a nice atmosphere, not as rushed, or noisy and just more relaxed in general. Staff were attentive and pleasant and the food was as good as always.

Have also been to the Black Bull for a couple of meals, while the food is good, and portions very generous and staff excellent, the upholstery is looking very tired and could do with an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

The pulled pork sandwich in the Black Bull is SO yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Went to Maria's on Laurence's Street for lunch on Saturday. Definite thumbs up from us :) Two of us had a ciabatta roll with chicken, bacon & chorizo. Was very tasty. Wasn't massive either, was just the right size. Sometimes ciabatta rolls are massive and all you get is a mouthful of bread. The other member of our party had chicken curry & chips. Very nicely presented & tasted lovely. Chips were nicely done too.

All in for three lunches & three teas, it was 28euro. Quite reasonable I thought. Will look forward to trying it again, perhaps in the evening time. Staff were very nice too :) Nice to see a bit of diversity appearing in the town lunch menus :)

I went in there when it initially opened, I didn't like the fact everything was being reheated in a microwave. Is that still happening? The previous "tea shop" in that location didn't last very long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Mylow wrote: »
    I went in there when it initially opened, I didn't like the fact everything was being reheated in a microwave. Is that still happening? The previous "tea shop" in that location didn't last very long.

Not sure about the microwave. They certainly didn't appear to have one on the counter. The girl was going back and forwards to a kitchen out the back so assumed it was all done fresh. Did you actually see them reheating the stuff in a microwave?

Advertisement