Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

google earth or the ordinance survey office?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    google earth or the ordinance survey office?

Had a quick look, i'll have to go back up for a spin, will probably do it tommorrow its only 40 mins up the road, have to try & figure out the address of the places i lived in in Letterkenny & Killarney now too though :(
    Ah well, at least i can remember the address in Germany, been thinking since i left school i have lived in about 10 different places.. oh this is going to be such fun!
    Although reading it again, maybe i don't need the college addresses only the ones after college anyone else think that might be right?

"Give below, in date order from the top, full particulars of all employment (including any periods of unemployment) between the date of leaving school or college and the present date. No period between these dates should be unaccounted for. If it is necessary to continue on a separate sheet, please set the information out in the same manner as below (exact dates to be given).

So since i left school i was in college in sligo for 1 year - 2 addresses (one was with relatives temporarily)
    College in Galway 3 years - 3 addresses
    Summer placement in Limerick during college 1st year - 1 address
    Summer placement in Germany during 2nd year - 1 address
    Worked in Letterkenny for 6 months contract after graduation 1 address
    Worked in Killarney for next 6 months - 1 address
    Back to Ennis since 2000, 4 address including parent's house and my own house
    How precise am is supposed to be with the dates and stuff cos i haven't a clue of some of them other than Germany and the 2 six month contracts :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Just had a look on the public jobs website and downloaded the "Stage II Application form which looks for every address and employment since leaving school, sure i haven't a clue of the addresses of some of the places i lived in when i was in college, anyone know where i could download a map of Galway or would i be better off going to galway and finding the houses and the proper addresses? :(

it says every address since leaving school OR college. could you get away with just putting down addresses since leaving college. it would be alot easier to fill it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

booked my aptitude test for Saturday 14th June, not that far away really. Have butterflies even thinking about it.

have to fill out stage 2 form now - had another look at and at a complete blank with my scenarios/situations of where i .....

anyone got any ideas? just point me in the right direction, have plenty of life experience but what wold be relevant or not!!

would breaking up 4 yrs old from fighting count!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭widget64

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    booked my aptitude test for Saturday 14th June, not that far away really. Have butterflies even thinking about it.

have to fill out stage 2 form now - had another look at and at a complete blank with my scenarios/situations of where i .....

anyone got any ideas? just point me in the right direction, have plenty of life experience but what wold be relevant or not!!

would breaking up 4 yrs old from fighting count!!!! :D

Tell me about it, i am seriously struggling about coming up with ideas. I suppose exam preperation for the first one but after that i am screwed!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 popsypya

Hello Everybody, was just looking for some analytical reasoning test samples on the web as I booked my test this morning ( probably like the rest of you:)
    And came across this and said I would join.. Am all excited about finally doing the test.

I did a course to prepare myself for the test last weekend and I can only recommend it, they went through everything and I feel so much more confident now than what I would have if I had not done the course, ( I would have been lost).

Will return to my search for some test samples for practice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

widget64 wrote: »
    Tell me about it, i am seriously struggling about coming up with ideas. I suppose exam preperation for the first one but after that i am screwed!!! :(

Just booked my test for the 14th of June. The first three days are booked up already. now to the joins of filling up form b. Its so hard to come up with scenarios :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

have mine for the 21st,there seemed to be a lot of dates gone

soundlad wrote: »
    Just booked my test for the 14th of June. The first three days are booked up already. now to the joins of filling up form b. Its so hard to come up with scenarios :(

Tell me about it, i am off on holidays tomorrow so need this foem filled in pronto......seriously stuck on the making balanced decisions question.

I also have another problem, i dont have my exact leaving cert results, i have applied to my old school and to www.examinations.ie. t I doesnt look like i will have them before i go away...............:(

shakin wrote: »
    have mine for the 21st,there seemed to be a lot of dates gone

I have mine at 12 on the 21st.

What time is yours?

• Advertisement

they are in chapter house this year not the teachers club

doing my on the 14th wanted the 16th but no tests that day, so have to go to dublin on the saturday, come home that evening and am back in dublin on monday for prince concert, was waiting to hear from reserves also has have to do medical and was hoping to get that for the day after the concert, but now wondering should i proceed with my application for the reserves!!

it's hard to believe a couple of months ago i didnt think i would be this far, I am 35 next march so can't afford to not get through any stage, but am not in a position to pay for a day course so will be going over the printouts from public jobs and got some books on analytical reasoning and am actually okay at them but now i need more to practise on, did anyone find any online?

i did the aptitude test in 96 and i did pretty well so dont think i need to do a day course but any help or notes would be helpful. also there is a link on here for interviews and the info is extremely helpful, i printed it off and read through it last night.

doing my on the 14th wanted the 16th but no tests that day, so have to go to dublin on the saturday, come home that evening and am back in dublin on monday for prince concert, was waiting to hear from reserves also has have to do medical and was hoping to get that for the day after the concert, but now wondering should i proceed with my application for the reserves!!

it's hard to believe a couple of months ago i didnt think i would be this far, I am 35 next march so can't afford to not get through any stage, but am not in a position to pay for a day course so will be going over the printouts from public jobs and got some books on analytical reasoning and am actually okay at them but now i need more to practise on, did anyone find any online?

i did the aptitude test in 96 and i did pretty well so dont think i need to do a day course but any help or notes would be helpful. also there is a link on here for interviews and the info is extremely helpful, i printed it off and read through it last night.

that was 12 years ago! were they the same then? i think if you look through the old garda recruitment thread you may find some links for websites

best of luck

i know long time ago, but even the notes on the public jobs website seem very familar.

ah prince see ya there :pac:

GL with the process this time out.

Some Library's have books with stacks of the tests in them, if thats any use for you.

im doin my test sat 14th at 12.30pm. thats what the lady said when i rang. what are the time slots for the tests

i am doing mine on the saturday at 12.30, it seemed the easiest as will prob drive up and down on the saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well being honest with you i would still go ahead with the Reserves as if/when you pass stage1 it would go down well in the Interview as opposed to saying you reached the Medical and changed your mind (you might even be able to use your Reserves application as one of your scenarios for the Interview) ... I wouldn't just put all hope on An G.S. just yet and would continue on with your life as is right now. It would be a toal :eek: if for some reason you were not successful in An G.S. and you didn't proceed with the Reserves...

With regards to the Samples for the Aptitude there are several books out there and you could buy one or even borrow one or two from your local library ... I bought one with samples for Stage1 and it also covers tips for Stage2 for when i re-apply (failed stage2 last time). If a career in An G.S. is what you truly want then being honest i wouldn't take a chance with regards relying on how well you scored the last time you done the stage1 tests :)

kerry4sam - what is the name of the book you got? i got three from the library but not much in them other than the non verbal tests and have done them a couple of times now.

Well I got a book on psychometric test when I did not really know what the garda test would be like and there is too much different stuff in that book that I dont need and just get confused by looking at... was a bad choice..

The book you got sounds great, what is the name of the book and who wrote it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dcharkin

what was the name of the book, do they have the same kind of diagrams as the test familarisation booklet. Has anyone started the college yet and how is it going! What are the hours etc. and how much do you get a week?

As far as I remember you can find the pay and hours in the information booklet..

https://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/08012_Notes_for_Candidates.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kerry4sam - what is the name of the book you got? i got three from the library but not much in them other than the non verbal tests and have done them a couple of times now.
    popsypya wrote: »
    Well I got a book on psychometric test when I did not really know what the garda test would be like and there is too much different stuff in that book that I dont need and just get confused by looking at... was a bad choice..

The book you got sounds great, what is the name of the book and who wrote it ?
    dcharkin wrote: »
    what was the name of the book, do they have the same kind of diagrams as the test familarisation booklet. Has anyone started the college yet and how is it going! What are the hours etc. and how much do you get a week?

Hey not sure if it would fall under this charter rule: # No requesting, offering or quoting copyrighted material in any form. You are free to re-sell books and the like that you bought privately over on adverts.ie

so i'll send you all on a PM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It doesn't. You can give out names and authors of books. You can't request or offer a COPY of books though, as in placed on a photocopier and actually copied. Thanks.
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hey not sure if it would fall under this charter rule: # No requesting, offering or quoting copyrighted material in any form. You are free to re-sell books and the like that you bought privately over on adverts.ie

so i'll send you all on a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I've also just noticed from the last time I did it (2yrs) that question one is now about you and your past experiences from work etc. It used to be reading a short passage and answering question from it.

I'm just going to read the Kilroys College course book I got from yrs ago. You really only have to get plenty practice with the Analytical Reasoning.

kerry4sam - just googled the book would you believe it is one of the books i got from the library, havent looked at it yet!!

will get studying tonight.

what is the book called

horse1 wrote: »
    what is the book called

Dont think your allowed request copy righted material.

You might try pm'ing Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

psni wrote: »
    You can give out names and authors of books.

You can give out the names, as above straight from the horses mouth so to speak!!!:D

• Advertisement

Managed to get hold of the book in waterstones in Cork earlier today.. gonna study hard now for the next two weeks have my test on the 11th.

Also booked a consultation for the laser surgery on my eyes, am dreading it... anyone here that has had it done?

Advertisement