Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭b318isp

Sarky wrote: »
    You swing a bucket full of water over your head, the water stays in the bucket. Same principle for people in space.

Is the Coreolis effect (in this case) not the sideways force on a very tall object caused by the rotation of the earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's the centripetal effect, which produces a force that is directed at the centre of rotation - much like gravity.

Away from the centre, no?
    You swing a bucket full of water over your head, the water stays in the bucket. Same principle for people in space.

I was thinking along those lines alright, it was the use of the word gravity that threw me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

b318isp wrote: »
    Is the Coreolis effect (in this case) not the sideways force on a very tall object caused by the rotation of the earth?
    As far as I remember from my undergrad days, it is. There must be someone here qualified in meteorology/oceanography/physics to explain it, I'm awfully rusty on the principles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Yeah, in this case it'd be away from the centre. So, the astronauts would be walking on the inside surface of cylinder.

Reason the coriolis effect comes into play, afaik, the smaller the ship (which would have a higher rpm) the more noticeable the coriolis effect would be.
    It acts at right angles from the axis of rotation and when you move away or towards that, you feel a force driving you into the direction of spin. We don't notice it on earth, but it's measurable and the higher the rotation, the worse it gets. Acts on the inner ear to make you dizzy and sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Centripetal - force towards axis of rotation (inwards), centrifugal is the force "outwards". Same thing, just measured in opposite directions.

And there is no difference between the force exerted by gravity and that exerted by spinning a spaceship, they're both just mass experiencing acceleration.

If the spacecraft was attached to (and spinning around) a large mass using a very long tether, I'd guess it would be possible to possible to generate reasonably good "fake gravity".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Reason the coriolis effect comes into play, afaik, the smaller the ship (which would have a higher rpm) the more noticeable the coriolis effect would be.
    It acts at right angles from the axis of rotation and when you move away or towards that, you feel a force driving you into the direction of spin. We don't notice it on earth, but it's measurable and the higher the rotation, the worse it gets. Acts on the inner ear to make you dizzy and sick.
    So I'm guessing where the coriolis effect comes into it is the size of the cylinder. A small cylinder needs to rotate more quickly in order to create the same centrifugal force as a large one, thus making the coriolis effect more noticeable. To reduce the coriolis effect while keeping the centrifugal force the same, you need to make the cylinder larger, but then having a huge craft creates its own logistical problems.

I guess to bring this discussion back to where it started, this is the kind of thing that 3D printers and "space docks" let us overcome. Instead of trying to launch a spinning behemoth into orbit, we just fabricate and construct it in orbit.

If Kerbal Space Program has taught me anything, it's that once the craft is in orbit, you don't need very much energy at all to send it to other planets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Would a massive gyroscope work? Or is it only the spinning part that has gravity? Or does what is inside the space of the spinning part of the gyroscope have this centripetal force on it?

Obliq wrote: »
    Would a massive gyroscope work? Or is it only the spinning part that has gravity? Or does what is inside the space of the spinning part of the gyroscope have this centripetal force on it?
    That's pretty much the model, yeah.
    Something like this:
    gravity_artificial.gif

If anyone saw Elysium, the space station was just this concept writ large.

rotatingspacestation.jpg
    url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=x0VMUqgaOCcaKM&tbnid=HYiwL-DheqI25M:&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstrongphysics.wikispaces.com%2Fch9_hiwf&ei=6FtVUo-XJcGshQetooGwCw&psig=AFQjCNEgtf9QwkPUeKRy0ZNGhQaTuIc-gg&ust=1381412200692197

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

COOL! When are they building it?!

But yeah, my question was whether the center of the gyrating object (that stays level, like in a gyroscope) would have that force acting on it - in which case it wouldn't matter how small the craft was as only the outer sphere would be spinning - but I guess not....:o

Didn't do physics. Should have.

• Advertisement

For even larger examples in science fiction, check out Ringworld, or even the Halo rings in the Halo games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld‎
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_(megastructure)‎

Same principle: spin something to create an outward force, indistinguishable from gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Only time I came across the Coriolis effect was in CoD: Modern Warfare when you had to snipe a guy about 2km away. Basically, when looking through the scope, you could see a slight delay between pulling the trigger and the bullet landing. Because the earth was rotating, the position of the target relative to the crosshair was going to be different by the time it lands, meaning you needed to compensate with the aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

swampgas wrote: »
    For even larger examples in science fiction, check out Ringworld, or even the Halo rings in the Halo games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld‎
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_(megastructure)‎

Same principle: spin something to create an outward force, indistinguishable from gravity.

Yeah, but Halo is crap. :pac:

I have to admit preference for the Citadel in Mass Effect.

Obliq wrote: »
    But yeah, my question was whether the center of the gyrating object (that stays level, like in a gyroscope) would have that force acting on it - in which case it wouldn't matter how small the craft was as only the outer sphere would be spinning - but I guess not....:o

At the center of a rotating space station there would be zero gravity. As you moved out towards the edge, gravity would appear to increase, and when you reached the outermost part of the station gravity would appear strongest.

It's a bit like standing at the center of a spinning playground roundabout - you're spinning but experiencing no sideways force at the center, but as you move to the edge of the roundabout you feel a stronger and stronger force trying to throw you off.

Also, an easy way to see the coriolis force is to stand on a roundabout facing the center, and swing your leg back and forth - it will move left and right as it swings forward and back.

Coriolis forces are also what cause the rotating winds in the atmosphere, as winds moving towards the poles from the equator (and vice versa) are curled round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

And there is no difference between the force exerted by gravity and that exerted by spinning a spaceship, they're both just mass experiencing acceleration. ".

I never thought of it that way, but you're right. I had kind of imagined it as "fake" gravity - doing the same job but not being the same thing, but as you said it's just acceleration doesn't really matter what's causing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Coriolis forces are also what cause the rotating winds in the atmosphere, as winds moving towards the poles from the equator (and vice versa) are curled round.
    Coriolis forces are peculiar, but for rotating weirdness, gyroscopis motion is hard to beat:

http://www.thehowandwhy.com/Gyroscopic.html

<blasphemy expunged>

I have to admit preference for the Citadel in Mass Effect.

Unintentional pun ??? :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I never thought of it that way, but you're right. I had kind of imagined it as "fake" gravity - doing the same job but not being the same thing, but as you said it's just acceleration doesn't really matter what's causing it.

It's known as the Equivalence Principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Meh,

Best library of them all.
    KS-slate-02-lg._V399249911_.jpg

No excessive walking, no heavy lifting, easy access to books and instant dictionary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jernal wrote: »
    Meh,

Best library of them all.
    KS-slate-02-lg._V399249911_.jpg

No excessive walking, no heavy lifting, easy access to books and instant dictionary.

I love my kindle.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

At the center of a rotating space station there would be zero gravity. As you moved out towards the edge, gravity would appear to increase, and when you reached the outermost part of the station gravity would appear strongest.

It's a bit like standing at the center of a spinning playground roundabout - you're spinning but experiencing no sideways force at the center, but as you move to the edge of the roundabout you feel a stronger and stronger force trying to throw you off.

Also, an easy way to see the coriolis force is to stand on a roundabout facing the center, and swing your leg back and forth - it will move left and right as it swings forward and back.

My favourite Arthur C. Clarke book Rendezvous with Rama deals with this exact effect. For anybody that hasn't read it I highly recommend it. Great technical details, interesting science but above all a damn good story... and you could polish it off in one sitting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Praise be to Lesus!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24489512
    Vatican pulls papal medal which misspelt name of Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As the inscription is in Latin, shouldn't it have been Iesus not Jesus? I to L is a more common mistaka to maka.

(tuts about declining journalism standards at the BBC...)

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Not being a latin scholar, I've checked wiki and "Lesus" seems to be the correct version in that language. Interestingly the name Lesus was used throughout the 1611 King James bible.
    The original Aramaic name seems to have been Joshua.
    In Arabic, Azerbaijani, and in Old Irish its Íosa.
    In Finnish its Jeesus.
    In modern Irish, Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ah here, Lesus alone! :pac:

1377097_733886873294754_1012849339_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

1377097_733886873294754_1012849339_n.jpg
    It's funny cause it's true?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he should have thought that one out a bit better.

• Advertisement

It's a troll. Like the deGrasse Tyson one about there being more stars in the universe than atoms which caught a few people in YLYL recently. :pac:

Advertisement