Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

But jones is only a superstar because of the UFC and because the calibre of people he fights is so high, if he was let go and went to another company fighting opposition who essentially aren't good enough to step up to the UFC his fights wouldn't have the same hype/exposure/importance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

As regards him fighting again, what say to the Nevada SAC have in this now?

He has a (out of competition) cocaine bust in the past, now potentially another recreational drug involved in this issue.

Do they deny a licence based on that? Or only on PEDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

JJayoo wrote: »
    But jones is only a superstar because of the UFC and because the calibre of people he fights is so high, if he was let go and went to another company fighting opposition who essentially aren't good enough to step up to the UFC his fights wouldn't have the same hype/exposure/importance

That is only the case when you havent already reached a certain level. Once you have its no longer the case

Fedor is the prime example

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That's not really the point. That could be said for anyone.

"Cristiano Ronaldo is only a superstar because he plays for Real Madrid. If he was released by Real Madrid and ended up at Accrington Stanley he wouldn't have the same exposure".

Both Jones & Ronaldo are superstars because they are the best and have beaten the best. They earned their status, it wasn't just handed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Yes, but if Real Madrid released Ronaldo there are plenty of other high level options for him to receive similar exposure ... can the same be said for Jones if UFC cut ties?

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That's not really the point. That could be said for anyone.

"Cristiano Ronaldo is only a superstar because he plays for Real Madrid. If he was released by Real Madrid and ended up at Accrington Stanley he wouldn't have the same exposure".

Both Jones & Ronaldo are superstars because they are the best and have beaten the best. They earned their status, it wasn't just handed to them.

My point isn't about Jones as a fighter but more the negative effect that it would have on the UFC and his division as a lot of people are discussing whether or not he will be cut. Jones being cut from the UFC will not have a devastating effect financially on the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Agree with both Evans & Kenny, four weeks out from his fight there should be only one thing on his mind, training and getting ready for it. Stripping of his tittle and maybe 6 months off sounds about fair, he needs to get his head sorted.

My point isn't about Jones as a fighter but more the negative effect that it would have on the UFC and his division as a lot of people are discussing whether or not he will be cut. Jones being cut from the UFC will not have a devastating effect financially on the UFC

It would not have a devastating effect on the UFC, financially or otherwise.

But there is no denying that it would be a blow both in the short term (financially) and the long term (competitively).

Say the UFC take the moral high ground and cut Jones. He does time, serves a suspension etc and then comes back. Bellator sign him up. They can't pay him the same as the UFC, nor close. But with the UFC out of the picture Bellator only have to fend off the likes of One FC or WSOF so they wouldn't have to pay him near UFC level.

Then what happens?

1 - they gain more exposure
    2 - that exposure brings more viewers and more sponsors
    3 - having a fighter of Jones calibre will attract more high level fighters because the best want to fight the best

It happened before when Affliction signed Fedor. OK it didn't last long because of their idiotic business plan but they still made waves for a while.

The only benefit to the UFC of cutting Jones is having "done the right thing" and let's face it, that means nothing to them. The downside is that they would offer Bellator or whoever signed him a load of benefits that they would not otherwise have.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mike Tobacco

Why on earth should he be stripped of the title/suspended??? For the UFC's PR/brand image?

He's the best mixed martial artist in the world at 205 lbs, probably p4p as well. His driving skills/private life are irrelevant to that.

If he's not focused and/or taking recreational drugs in the lead up to fights and is still beating the best the UFC has to offer, that just emphasises how far ahead of everyone else he is.

If he gets time the UFC should create an interim title until he gets out. Simple as that.

Why on earth should he be stripped of the title/suspended??? For the UFC's PR/brand image?

Short answer...
    Yes

Long answer...
    He is going spectacularly off the rails. He's not just doing harmless recreational drugs when he's not training. He's 5 weeks out from a fight and getting caught for a hit and run possibly while doing dope.

He needs to see some real actual consequences for his actions. Those consequences should come from the law, his sponsors, the licensing commission and his employer.

• Advertisement

I get your point, but I feel that at this stage almost all other organisations are more feeder companies for the UFC instead of their competition. I think they could cut him to make an example of him and then bring him back into the organisation at a later date with a load of 'road to redemption' bull and how he learned the hard way, drugs are bad etc etc and is now a shining example to the world.

Tommy toehold has an awful funny clip on Jones at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mellor wrote: »
    What cocaine charges? Pretty sure you just made that up.

Sorry, I meant the whole testing positive for cocaine issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

He probably didnt want to hang around for fear of getting 5 warning shots in his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mike Tobacco

He's the best mixed martial artist in the world at 205 lbs, probably p4p as well. His driving skills/private life are irrelevant to that.

If he's not focused and/or taking recreational drugs in the lead up to fights and is still beating the best the UFC has to offer, that just emphasises how far ahead of everyone else he is.

If he gets time the UFC should create an interim title until he gets out. Simple as that.
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Short answer...
    Yes

Long answer...
    He is going spectacularly off the rails. He's not just doing harmless recreational drugs when he's not training. He's 5 weeks out from a fight and getting caught for a hit and run possibly while doing dope.

He needs to see some real actual consequences for his actions. Those consequences should come from the law, his sponsors, the licensing commission and his employer.

I can't agree with your short answer. Once the UFC becomes more preoccupied with its image than with having the proven best fighter in a weight class (possibly in the organisation) as its champion then its done as a true competition.

As for your long answer, yes - perhaps we should be concerned for his welfare. Maybe a suspension until he straightens himself out would help him. But unless he breaks actual competition rules no way should he lose the belt.

Pretty sick of this "He made a mistake, take away everything he loves" culture nowadays. Sports star makes a mistake, sack him. Politician did something bad when he was younger, he has to step down. Celebrity does something bad, black list him!

The chap was having a spliff and ran a red light. Nobody died! What this has to do with him being the best fighter int he world, I have no idea. Why you'd want the best fighter to not be the champion anymore because of something he did outside of his professional capacity, I don't know.

He's the best, he should be the champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Pretty sick of this "He made a mistake, take away everything he loves" culture nowadays. Sports star makes a mistake, sack him. Politician did something bad when he was younger, he has to step down. Celebrity does something bad, black list him!

The chap was having a spliff and ran a red light. Nobody died! What this has to do with him being the best fighter int he world, I have no idea. Why you'd want the best fighter to not be the champion anymore because of something he did outside of his professional capacity, I don't know.

It'd be easier to argue his case had he not ran off. He also has a previous DUI. He's not above the law just because he's UFC champ.

Where would you draw the line then? I think he needs help and should be forced into taking a break from the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The tale of the tape.

CDsCXuQXIAALuQj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That video is brilliant. "I went for an impromptu run in the desert and haven't checked my phone in days......'Jon Jones wanted for....oh....oh wait....THE NEW SILENT HILL GAME WAS CANCELLED!!'"

It'd be easier to argue his case had he not ran off. He also has a previous DUI. He's not above the law just because he's UFC champ.

Where would you draw the line then? I think he needs help and should be forced into taking a break from the sport.

Of course he's not above the law. I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished by the letter of the law.

He's been arrested. He'll be charged. He'll go to court and he'll be punished appropriately.

Then let him continue to be a world champion athlete. His being the champion has nothing to do with the fact that he ran away from the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Thankfully I don't think he's either getting suspended or stripped. His manager said today that he wants to concentrate on this fight.

UFC 187 was a big big PPV before, but if Jones/Rumble stays on it after this it'll be their most successful PPV in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Some great comments there too, Jones is a goldmine for mma humour
    Another example of Greg Jackson ruining the sport. All he teaches his fighters to do is run.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/28/8509355/ufc-champ-jon-jones-not-facing-drug-possession-charges-at-this-time

So Jones isn't being charged for Drugs at this time as the pipe and mary jane were in a rental car that jones wasn't in at the time the car was found by cops so not enough evidence to stick but could be revisited.

He is being charged with fleeing a crime scene that involved death or injury. I'd say he'll apologise, pay a hefty fine/comp and still make the fight with Rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

If your wife/gf was pregnant and some possibly drunk & high sport star crashed into her resulting in a broken arm would you still hold that opinion? As talented & brilliant a fighter he is , the guy is an idiot and deserves all the punishment coming to him imo. In saying that i would prefer if someone beat him to earn the belt rather than him beating himself & someone getting the belt as a result of Jones being stripped of the gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

sheehy83 wrote: »
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/28/8509355/ufc-champ-jon-jones-not-facing-drug-possession-charges-at-this-time

So Jones isn't being charged for Drugs at this time as the pipe and mary jane were in a rental car that jones wasn't in at the time the car was found by cops so not enough evidence to stick but could be revisited.

He is being charged with fleeing a crime scene that involved death or injury. I'd say he'll apologise, pay a hefty fine/comp and still make the fight with Rumble.
    Dear Dana,
    Your lawyers, You really got me outa this one. Thought I was rightly fcuked.
    Yours sincerely,
    Guaranteed money maker,
    Jon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

sheehy83 wrote: »

cant they check the pipe for dna?

cant they check the pipe for dna?

I thought that would be the first thing they would do to confirm what caused him to run a red but appatently the ABQ law treats the drugs and leavibg crime scene as 2 different kinds of felony so they go for the one that will stick. strange

Anyway, he's out on bond and judge gave no constrictions on travel so he's free to fight. The NSAC said they were watching this closely but not sure what power, if any, they have in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

will he be tested for drugs? suppose they'll let him fight. then release the test results afterwards and he goes to rehab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

As a fan of the sport first and foremost, I'm just massively relieved that it looks like the fight is still going ahead.

• Advertisement

Hoki wrote: »
    If your wife/gf was pregnant and ......

It's completely irrelevant whether it was my wife or girlfriend. That's not how the law works.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement