Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Over the Top

• 16-03-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Firblog

Was it just me or did Today FM go completely OTT about Tony Fenton?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He was a current member of staff at Today FM and not someone who retired and eventually passed away from natural causes. Today FM is very active in fund raising for cancer charities and I feel they handled the death with great professionalism. They replayed some of his last interviews where he appealed to men to get tests done for prostate cancer if they had any suspicions of illness. I found Matt Coopers tribute on Friday was very well done.

• Firblog wrote: »
    I couldn't have told you what radio station he was working for never mind when his show was on

So you think Today FM were over the top in paying tribute to a man that by your own admission you didn't know much, if anything about?

I've heard it all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

At the end of the day, the man worked along side them and seemed to be well loved by everyone in there. It was well known he was unwell, but no matter what, when you lose someone close to you at a young age it is an absolutely horrific shock whether it's expected or not. Talking about him might have helped with their grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was no fan of Tony Fenton as a DJ, hated the sound of him actually, and I did not know him as a person.

But it seems that he was a great personality and well liked by many who worked with him.

So I done begrudge any station or former colleagues of his talking about their memories for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Firblog wrote: »
    Was it just me or did Today FM go completely OTT about Tony Fenton?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I thought you were talking about Dean Winstanley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

This should probably be closed before it becomes unsavory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The one common factor that is coming out of all this is how much of a decent, humane man he was. I've seen nothing but people talking about how much he helped and offered his time and advice to anyone starting out on radio.

So no, I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

They simply remembered a colleague that was clearly loved and admired in a wonderful and touching way without it being depressing. I suggested to friends and family around the World that they download the podcast of The Last Word's tribute from last Thursday and it was thoroughly enjoyed by those who did including those who had never even heard of him. So, no!! It most certainly wasn't over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Firblog wrote: »
    Let me ask this If you went into your local chipper/pub/whatever and they started to tell you stories for hours about some bloke who'd died who you never knew, how long would you stay?
    But the listeners did know him?

I think all the tributes have been just lovely.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement