Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

09 royal/ball python not feeding

• 08-10-2010 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I have had my royal for one year now and up to just over two weeks ago she has never missed a meal yet now has gone off feed. I am not too worried just yet as I have hear they can go off feeding and be fine for some time. It is a bit odd though as she seems interested in the food. While it is being warmed she comes out readily as she usually would and she shows interest in the food item but doesn't eat it.

I have tried covering the tank up and leaving the food item in over night. Moving it around for her. She is not in shed and is still rather active at night. I wouldn't say she is at the right age or weight for breeding yet so I am unsure what else it could be. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Might be worth having a vet give her a check up just in case have you checked her mouth to make sure she's no infection or could be something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Reaper of Mind

Might be worth having a vet give her a check up just in case have you checked her mouth to make sure she's no infection or could be something else.

Seems to be healthy. No irritation or discolouration any way. Worth getting a check up any way I'd say. I'll see how the next few feeding attempts go first and then work from there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Its been pretty cold lately what temperature is it in the tank?

I use a ceramic heat lamp and a thermostat on it and another on the heat mat. All regulated. Checked it there again and the air temp is 29.5. Then got 26.8 on the cold side and 31.2 on the hot side. Still quite puzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Them temps are spot on,
    I'm not sure whats causing it from reading this, but if she has plenty of hides, the correct temps she'll be ok without food for the next few weeks or even a month or two, or longer depending on how big she is!!
    Are you a member of any reptile forums? you'd get a much better response than on here,
    www.herpireland.com is a good, friendly, public forum.
    , hope this helps somewhat, keep your cool though she will be fine!
    But join up if she misses the next two and see what everyone says..
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Royals have a habit of just going off their food for no reason whatsoever.

Picky little feckers they can be.

Few things to try.

1.Get different coloured mice.Black,brown etc.Sometimes this is all it takes to get them back eating again.

2.Brain the mouse--cut into the head with a sharp blade until the brain is exposed.The brain smell can also stimulate feeding.

3.Rub the mouse off a lizard,snake or other reptile.Again this can start a feeding response.

If all this fails and only if you notice weight loss then force feeding is recommended.If youve never done this before then get help.

Bear in mind that Royals usually start feeding again on their own without any of the above help and its only if you notice weight loss then a vets help is needed to force feed.

Hope this helps,

Richie.

She just ate!!! :)

Thanks for the advice every one.

To CornSnakeKeeper: Yeah. I use two thermostats to keep it regulated. She is spoiled nearly. :P Yeah I have joined it a while back but haven't used it as much. I should really get into it more.

To Hellrazer: Yeah. They can be. First issue I have had with mine though and I am planning on getting a pair of fires shortly so wanted to sort it. I was going to start scenting the rat but she took it grand just there so no need but yeah I had heard about certain ones only eating certain colour rats alright. It is interesting how this occurs.

I am thinking of getting a weighing scale for them now so I can start keeping track of weight in case of any future issues.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

She just ate!!! :)

Sorry should have replied here earlier.Thats good to hear.
    To Hellrazer: Yeah. They can be. yeah I had heard about certain ones only eating certain colour rats alright. It is interesting how this occurs.
    The theory goes that the white mice that we feed our herps are unknown in the wild and so some snakes refuse to eat them.My Royals always took brown mice ovr white for me though so I feel that there may be some truth in this theory.

I am thinking of getting a weighing scale for them now so I can start keeping track of weight in case of any future issues.

Its a good idea but dont get hung up on the weight issue.It can flutuate but its only serious if you notice a huge weight drop.

Advertisement